It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: TM-Based ROTJ Darth Vader Helmet Project
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm 

Darth Fetty wrote:

I almost bought from him a few years ago before realizing who he was. He was selling several recast Jango "screen cast" helmets. No idea how he gets ahold of these things.

He was a crew member on ROTS. He also knows other crew members who worked on TPM and AOTC. So he did have access to many authentic production pieces, of which he either sold outright, or used to make copies to sell. Before he got into his more nefarious dealings, he did dealings with some fairly reputable collectors (who I shall not name) who know a thing or two about original production pieces. And yes, I also dealt with him long before any of the bad stuff about him came out. But before that he was nothing but helpful, sold things for a steal, and obviously didn't care too much about making a lot of money from his props. After that it just seems like one bad deal after another. Clearly he was just on his own as a former crew member and not part of the collecting community and does not hold to any kind of standard that is set in the collecting community. That being said, do we know what happened exactly in the case of this lost TM ROTJ helmet?

Post subject: Re: TM ROTJ recast thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 pm 
Random avatar

Nothing new and i'm still waiting on a reply from Downinflames but honestly i doubt we will hear something from his side :rolleyes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm 

You will, he just normally takes a while to reply. But he is as entirely trustworthy a collector as I know and would never involve one of his castings entrusted to him in anything such as this. And if he says he didn't receive something, that is the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am 
Random avatar

Yeah, after a few weeks he saw this thread here? Not busy enough to visit the forum. You better be right with your opinion regarding the helmet you sold to him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 am 

Hm...not too sure about that. This is serious and not replying at all doesn't look too trustworthy. And everybody else still have their helmets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm 

There have been times I've emailed him and it does take him a long time to reply, but he always does. I've emailed him as well about this to give him a heads up, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there still is that wildcard with the one lost in the mail. That could have ended up anywhere and that somewhere could know O'Toole and send stuff to him. There really is no telling. And if you wanna go completely paranoid then anyone still having theirs really doesn't matter... there's borrowing, there's doing molds on the side and all sorts of thing and there'd be no way of knowing who it is. It just makes everyone look guilty. It all comes down to trust... and that trust has now been broken. So, whoever or whatever is the cause: thanks for helping ruining good things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:16 pm 

sad but very true indeed :-/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TM-Based ROTJ Darth Vader Helmet Project
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:34 pm 
Random avatar

Vadermonkey wrote:
DIF tried the old "it never arrived" with me also. I have lost a ton of stuff to overseas shipping in the last 3 years so not to say it doesnt happen but I also felt it was suspicious at the time. Others I have spoken to however say hes a straight shooter.

Darth Niob wrote:
Jesper confirmed that it is on of his helmets. Will have to look who are the buyers. The one i know for sure are:

-starwarscollector
-darthvaderv
-germanbat
-skynet
-myself
-darth clouds
-lenasith
-xmr1
and one went to france. Another one (the first one) was sent to Downinflames who said he never received it. The helmet was sent to South America (Chila i think) but before he went back to Chile he lived in France. I think thats all of the owners if i remember correctly. This helmet is also from france......mmmh. All this is very fishy :angry4 As i said ....you cant trust anyone....no honor within this hobby. I completely understand which keep all the good stuff for themself. Any feedback from other owners are welcome.

Excuse me, I tried the old "it never arrived" with you also? This is crazy... why would I lie?
People who know me CAN tell you that I AM a straight shooter. If you are acusing me in public maybe you should at least have proof and not step on my reputation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm 
Random avatar

Hello guys,

Sorry for my late reply. I just found this thread.
I understand you guys have your doubts.
Here´s how the story goes on my side.
I did live in Paris (2006 - April 2009) and while I was there I purchased one TM ROTJ helmet (fully finished).
I was worried because time was going by and I still had not received my helmet. If I remember correctly at some point, Jesper was not available due to personal reasons? And Darth Niob was kind enough to contact Jesper to try and figure out what went wrong with my helmet. I did not receive a tracking number but received a parcel number instead.
After the financial crisis hit (I was working for a French fund) I decided to quit my job and go back home to Chile (Santiago), where I currently live.
Upon my decision I contacted Darth Niob in order to let Jesper know that the shipping address I had given him for my helmet to be delivered in Paris (49 Rue Saint André des Arts, 6eme) would now have to be changed for my address in Chile since I was giving back my apartment in Paris.
I went back to Chile and contacted customs to ask them if anything had arrived for me using the parcel number. They told me that they couldn´t do anything to track down my box using only the parcel number and that they needed a tracking number to do so instead. Again I got in touch with Darth Niob to explain this but unfortunately was not able to get a tracking number. He told me someone in Brasil had used a parcel number and it worked for him. It didn´t work for me.
Time passed and I did purchase some other items and I started getting suspicious since I did not receive those items either...
Then recently I purchased new items but this time, changed my delivery address from work to home and used my girlfriend´s name as the recipient and this time I did receive my items!
Now I believe that someone in our Chilean customs realised about all these Star Wars items coming in for me and maybe decided to keep them... I have spoken to customs and shipping companies operating here and their organisation is a big mess, they all told me nothing could be done.
I have been a serious collector for some time now and have some interesting high end items in my collection.
Most of you would agree that the fact of a recast of any of these items would be shooting myself on the foot since these items would be more available and hence less hard to find, loosing some of its value.
On the other hand, I couldn´t recast anything even if I wanted to just for the simple reason that I have no clue how to do this, I really don´t have the skills or knowledge to do this.
Many of my purchases have been either finished, detailed, painted and put together by someone else (talented people here or in the RPF because of this. That´s why I purchased a finished TM ROTJ from Jesper and not in kit form.
I have even been looking in our latin american "Ebay" just to see if anyone shows up selling any of the items not received but nothing so far. www.deremate.cl or www.mercadolibre.cl
I really don´t like recasts, recasters or anything alike. I love my props and specially love them knowing that there are very few of them out there.
Please believe me, I have not received my helmet to this date and that is my loss, but accusing me of recasting is something totally different.
I´m happy to help if you have any questions.

PS: Thomas, I read you sent me an email but have not received it. By any chance, did you send it to my hotmail account? If yes, I closed that account recently. Please use my other email address you have.

Kind regards,

DIF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm 

Thanks DIF, for taking the time to post and for letting me know the change in your email. It is unfortunate that you even felt you had to explain but of course suspicions about something like that can run high. I'll just mention again that I have found you to be as trustworthy a collector as they come.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you decided to share your side of the story. That usually helps clear things up, even if the accusations are stinging and questioning your character. Silence usually only makes suspisciouns stronger and in the mind of people can sound as confirmation that the accusations and speculations are true.

We are at the mercy of the shipping companies and their employees, so chances are, someone opening the package may just grab it for themselves - again, speculation, similar to what was aimed towards you. We really don't know. It's all about trust in this community and it is easily broken or tarnished or felt exploited, as most of the time there really isn't anything to be done, when someone decides to scam and misuse the trust.

A shame you didn't receive your items and shame on whoever took them.

C.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm 
Random avatar

Thank you guys.
I understand, sorry for joining so late but I had not seen the thread.
I´m happy to help figure this out.

Profile E-mail