It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The first time you ever saw "Star Wars..."
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

sskunky wrote:
I remember going to the local Department store and Dave Prouse was dressed up as Vader signing things.... For some reason I never got a autograph but I did get to shake Vaders hand! Pity I didn't get a pic of it happening but the memories are great!

You met Dave Prowse touring as Vader? That's some rarity. How many appearances did he make? 5-9 or something, right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm 

I have no idea? I was 7 at the time and to me it was Darth Vader. :toothy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 pm 

Was 10 years old in the summer of 1977. Went with friends (in a boogie van no less, I remember sitting in plush chair looking out the circular bubble window) to a not-too-big theater. Sat a few rows from the front with popcorn not knowing anything about what I was going to see. Then it just hit me and I was in heaven. I did not blink once, and did not say anything during the entire first showing. It completely hypnotized me. And I tried really hard to go back as often as my parents would let me go. The music also made such an impression on me, and just the realism of the sounds and locations. I think I love the smell of popcorn just because of that one movie. Nothing since then has given me that same sense of being completely immersed in a world that seemed so real, so tangible, yet so fantastic. I memorized every microsecond as much as I could. You just cannot compare it to anything else. It is so analog, and just such a perfectly pure and raw experience. I think what keeps you in the story are the characters, as it really mattered what happened to them, and you feel as if they are bringing you along on the journey. Very few movies accomplish that for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 am 

How old were you? 8 yo

What year? 1977

What movie theater (if you can remember)? The Hollywood Theater - saw all three Star Wars movies here

What city? La Crosse, WI

Any other interesting info surrounding your first "experience?"
All of my neighborhood friends had seen Star Wars on opening weekend. It took me two weeks of pleading with my parents to go see the movie. So during that two week stretch where all the kids in my neighborhood had seen the movie, and we all gathered together to play outside, naturally, they all wanted to play Star Wars. One kid was Luke Skywalker, another was Darth Vader, someone else was Han Solo, Chewbacca, Stormtrooper, Tusken Raider, even C3PO. Everyone was a cool characters. Me? They made me R2D2. I had no idea what I was, much less what I was supposed to do. It was so sad.

But once I finally got to the theater to see it with my family and my best hoodie buddy, from the first loud chord of the Main Theme, followed by panning down to some strange brown and orange planet, to seeing the spaceship crawl and battle between the Tantive IV and the Star Destroyer - oh boy. My eyes were HUGE!!! I just drank it all in. Darth Vader was the COOLEST! ... I ended up seeing it three times. Not bad for an 8 year old with two parents who weren't Sci-Fi fans. :)

Last edited by craigjohn on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:17 am 

I grew up with SW OT in a hard time when Romania was under Communist and Soviet rule (70's and 80's). I watched ANH and ESB on cinema, but ROTJ had to watch on a friend's VHS player since Ceausescu (the Communist leader/president) didn't allow it to run on cinemas. Before 1990 there were hard times in this part of the world, and Star Wars OT was like a light tower for people here, especially for children who watched it. Of course there were no SW toys to be found in the Eastern Block or at least where I lived, but even so I considered SW an inspiration, a way to make people forget about their every day problems.

I remember one day coming from school with two friends (I was about 9-10 back then if remember correctly), and we've seen a new BMW car parked near the school. since it was a different car that the ones we were used seeing ever day we got near it and looked inside. On one of the doors there was a bumper sticker with Vader fighting with Luke with their lightsabers, we stood there for half an hour looking at it and remembering scenes from the movie. The car was still there for about 3 weeks - seems it was a German from Western Germany (the non-Communist Germany, from across the Wall) who came in visit to a house in our city...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 am 
Random avatar

Well I didn't see Star Wars in the theater, my family and I had rented the VHS tape from a video store and I remember being about 5 or 6 in Austin, Texas right around 1986 and seeing it around Valentine's Day and eating those little God-awful Valentine's hearts with the writing on them. I'm tellin' ya watching the Star Wars movies in my duplex in Austin back then were some great times! :D

Profile E-mail