It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Inside shots of original RotJ armor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:35 pm 

I need some help for a prject Im working on. Has anyone got any shots of the INSIDE of RotJ armor - Im specifically looking for photos of the AB section, so I can confirm it against a potential set I looking at.

When I get the go ahead to release shots I can but in the meantime can someone help me on this.

I'm presuming ALL the RotJ sets were made of Haircell - or was there a UK/US split???
What were the "Tour" sets of Armor made from - are there any differences

Cheers

Jez

Post subject: Re: Inside shots of original RotJ armor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm 
Random avatar
Jez,

I believe it was only the ESB MKII suits that were haircell ABS and the real ROTJ armour was smooth ABS.

I also believe that the real ROTJ armour torso section was all one piece and not in two halves like the ESB MKII with the braces. I am guessing here and would think that all the elastic straps were glued in place and hinged on one side like the ANH, with maybe a velcro strap closing the opposite side.

To check if this suit is not an ESB MKII, see if the biceps and forearms are handed and not doubled (two right arms). PM me a sneak peek if you like :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm 

Interesting - thanks again

As you know I'm very wary of this "ESB type 2 " theory since Ive yet to see any real hard evidence (unless ive missed something recently which is quite possible).

When I went to see John Mollo a couple of years back and we went through all his diaries we found VERY little info on them (and remember he had the budget so had to pay for everything). It left us feeling that there could have been a few parts done or maybe possibly a couple of suits or helmets. Whatever was done was produced VERY quickly and VERY cheaply (a few hundred quid) - hence us thinking it was just parts....

Just ignoring the MK2's for now - both the ANH and RotJ AB sections were single piece - yes - not split?

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:02 pm 
Random avatar
The ESB MKII suits and helmets are very real. I have said it for years and will continue to do so. There is no doubt in my mind that at least two suits seen in ESB are definately not the same as an ANH suit and closely resemble an ROTJ suit. I am sure hard evidence will present itself in the future...it's just a matter of time. But, you are right - only a couple of suits probably made and that is why there is hardly any reference material available.

Back to your question - all abdomen plates are solid one piece sections - no splits.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm 

PM sent.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 pm 

troopermaster wrote:
The ESB MKII suits and helmets are very real. I have said it for years and will continue to do so. There is no doubt in my mind that at least two suits seen in ESB are definately not the same as an ANH suit and closely resemble an ROTJ suit. I am sure hard evidence will present itself in the future...it's just a matter of time. But, you are right - only a couple of suits probably made and that is why there is hardly any reference material available.

Back to your question - all abdomen plates are solid one piece sections - no splits.

Two suits would make sense - do you think that includes helmets also?

It would have been a huge amount of work to just make 2 sets but I suppose if they were short there was nothing else they could do.......

Interesting

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 am 
Random avatar
Yes, it would have been a huge amount of work to make new suits for ESB and I have no doubt it was. So much so that they didn't manage to get the suits finished in time for fiilming and was forced to use left over suits from ANH that were wrecked. We can see just how badly the suits were with parts missing and held together with duct tape - something I don't think was intentional if they had the choice.

I believe that all new ABS armour and helmets were made but not finished in time and that is why we only see two on screen. There is no doubt about John Mollo's notes and new costumes had been discussed for the the production of ESB. Also, the Getty photos of the two troopers outside Harrod's (or wherever) in London dated 1980 and the ESB promo poster witht he two different troopers and Vader also dated 1980. The evidence is there in plain view.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 pm 

troopermaster wrote:
Yes, it would have been a huge amount of work to make new suits for ESB and I have no doubt it was. So much so that they didn't manage to get the suits finished in time for fiilming and was forced to use left over suits from ANH that were wrecked. We can see just how badly the suits were with parts missing and held together with duct tape - something I don't think was intentional if they had the choice.

I believe that all new ABS armour and helmets were made but not finished in time and that is why we only see two on screen. There is no doubt about John Mollo's notes and new costumes had been discussed for the the production of ESB. Also, the Getty photos of the two troopers outside Harrod's (or wherever) in London dated 1980 and the ESB promo poster witht he two different troopers and Vader also dated 1980. The evidence is there in plain view.

Well I hope youre right as it would be good to finally crack this one

You never know maybe one of these ESB Mk2 suits will turn up :wink:

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 pm 
Random avatar
Jez,

Are you able to show the photos of the people wearing these suits now?

I see at least one of the photos shown on the RPF and I am keen to see the others if there are any?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 am 

Me too especially that ANH/ESB helmet.Even from that blurry pic you can see the HDPE through the chipping paint.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:42 am 
Random avatar
It's an ESB helmet with the paint chipping off.

Can we reveal these suits now Jez?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 am 
Random avatar
Here is the photo of one of the suits up for auction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 am 

Yeah that's the helmet I'm talking about. I say ANH/ESB because it was used in both films. It looks to have alot if chips too. I wonder where it's ended up.

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Cool picture. Every boy's fantasy. :cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
Random avatar
I know what you meant Ben, but you will see it is an ESB when more photos are released :wink:

The guy with the suit no longer owns the helmet as far as I know, and gave the other suit to his friend :eek

I love this photo of them trying the suits on. I bet the kid is like "Let's try Dad's space suits on". If only they knew.....