It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: New Projects: Gentle Giant Busts and Statues.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Been lucky recently to have scored some nice busts and statues for cheap, so I'm going to mod the hell out of them. Just because I can and because I think there's room for improvement.

First, I'm going to rework the Grand Moff Tarkin bust into a full figure statue and will likely have to cut and re-position the arms, then sculpt the legs and paint the whole thing:

Then, seeing as I disliked the pose of the C-3PO statue, I decided to get that as well as the bust (still need to buy the bust, but waiting for a cheap one to pop up), then I hope the gold finish is similar enough to do a torso transplant, basically swap the upper torsos on both by sawing both in half in the black mid-section, swap 'em over, resculpt the ab section, paint it and that would give the statue the torso of the bust and the bust the torso of the statue (then I can always re-sell the bust with the new torso for scrap or use it as a test subject for a wild and out of control paint job)

Lastly, I acquired this Mal Reynolds bust to modify. Chose a scene from Firefly with a nice pose that sorta matches this one. This piece likely require the most work as both arms need to be re-positioned and the gun arm needs to be shortened. The jacket and shirt needs some serious rework and then the sculpting of the legs. I will try to commission a new head sculpt, once I've stripped the paint and cut off the arms as the current one looks like a 16-year-old Nathan Fillion and I need a scruffy looking nerf-herder look to him (yeah, I know... wrong series).

All in all... I've got my work cut out for me. But, it's gonna be fun to try to modify these.

C.

Post subject: Re: New Projects: Gentle Giant Busts and Statues.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:55 pm 

Nice. I think though for the Tarkin to be correct, you have to sculpt him in his socks. :wink: :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

He wore slippers. Though... in wide shots he did wear the German officer boots that were made for him, but were too small.

I can't wait to put him next to my sixth scale ANH Vader when that gets done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Have vacation this week, so will probably start cutting Tarkin away from the chair, without damaging things too much. Have a set of WW2 German officer's boots, which should be fairly similar to what he wore. Then it's just to build up his basic legs and attach to the bottom of the torso and then go into detailing. Gonna be sweet having him standing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

LOL... used the vacation for other stuff, but chopped up Tarkin today. I basically destroyed the back and the arm rests of the chair, but I think I can repair it to make it look good again. Anybody got any pictures of the bottom part of the chair? It seems to be a stationary swivel chair. In case there is no reference... do anyone have any good ideas to create the bottom half of the chair?

Anyway... onwards to the cut up Tarkin. I cut him from the base and chair. Cut off the arms at the elbows and cut off the right hand at the wrist. There's still a lot of sanding and fitting required before it looks good and I need to strip the bust completely - but the stripping agent is being shipped to me and should arrive soon. Have a gander at the new pose. Still unsure whether I should cut off and reposition the head as well. I'll know once I've added his legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Too Much Garlic wrote:
Still unsure whether I should cut off and reposition the head as well. I'll know once I've added his legs.

Well, looking at the body, as it was by itself, it was clear the head had to come off as well. Now on to a lot of grinding and eventual sculpting. Good times.

Seeing as Peter Cushing was 5'11" (182), he'll be about 11.94" (30.33 cm) tall, once I've sculpted the legs. Gonna be cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

And of course. Typical of me to start work before actually making sure the parts fit together. The sixth scale boots I had bought are too large. Which in turn means what has been suspected for some time now - that the Gentle Giant busts aren't truly sixth scale.

GRR.

Well... that means I have to sculpt the boots myself and I won't be able to pose him with the Vader I'm building.