It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Newly Found ANH Stormtrooper Helmet and Armor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Random avatar
Joe,

It would be impossible to say whether the armour was painted or not before Simon painted it unfortunately.

Ben,

Other details that match are the position of the ear caps screws and also the piece of plastic sticking out from under the lower part of the ear cap too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 am 

CatfoodRob wrote:
We need more info about that photo. What trade/union mag was it from ? Any indication to area ?

The magazine's called 'Stage Screen & Radio' and is the trade publication for BECTU members.
(Broadcasting Entertainment Cinematograph & Theatre Union).

There's no indication as to the area the photo was taken in, but I've fired off an email asking for help with the image. If nothing comes of that in day or two I'll try a phone call..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 am 

Well i told you from some pic's of this newly found armor which i see in the LSD ( Last Stormtrooper Detachment).
After a short discussion in the LSD i had, that i not have found it so nice that some guys there, which are also a user here on the bord, had no problem to copy infos here out of the Prop Den and post them there in the LSD, without asking, i have deleted there all my posts and so automatic my account.

So if they have no problem with this info stealing and let other guys do the research and cause of the fact they think it's normal to do this, cause the Prop Den is in there eyes not a closed board and the people will understand to share knowledge this way, well here are now my knowledge i have to share.
Pic's in the hidden section.
Topic:Real screen used AnH Sandtrooper suit, loft found

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Hi Stefan I know that English is not your first language but how hard is it to understand that the owner of the original armour himself did not want his pictures posting elsewhere not L.S.D staff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:36 pm 

Now you have taken pictures from the L.S.D forum and posted them here.It is very unlikley that Simon the owner of the original suit will ever show any more pictures ever.

Well done for that Stefan.

It was Simon who asked that the pictures not be posted on another forum not the L.S.D staff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 pm 

I think I am partly to blame, I posted a quote from TM Paul about the thickness of the HDPE/LDPE on the LSD, apologies if this has breached nay rules or upset anyone.

Here is what I posted.

Quote:
TM has made some interesting points on The Prop Den about original ANH helmets.

Hope Paul doesn't mind me quoting him.

Quote:
The helmet felt a lot like my PP helmet. It had that distinctive feel of PP, but could easily have been HDPE or LDPE as they are all close relatives.

It was also very thick and not paper thin. My guess is standard 3mm was used to make the original helmets. It stands to reason really when you think about it. AA would hardly be making fish ponds from such a thin material. From personal experience, HDPE or PP does not stretch evenly like ABS and can thin quite excessively. If the fish ponds were made from a thin guage plastic then they would end up being as thin as shopping bags (which is what some areas of my PP helmets were like). It may be a different story using a professional machine to form HDPE, but either way, this helmet was thick and sturdy.

This makes a lot of sense. I have been searching for the correct shade of HDPE for a year now and have spoken to every plastic supplier in the UK. No one has ever seen HDPE in that shade as a stock colour, but there are stock shades of PP that are very close. I have a sample here and will post some pictures when I find it.

Paul is right that someone mentioned HDPE and we have all accepted it without actually questioning it.

No-one that I know of has actually analysed the plastic and confirmed this.

I am definately going to be trying out some 3mm PP and LDPE on our new ANH helmet molds shortly. With a pro forming machine we should get some nice sharp pulls.

Anyway would be interesting to hear what others think.

Paul certainly knows more about forming and stormtroopers than anyone else in the hobby and has a better eye for detail and he has handled this new ANH helmet and armour.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:40 pm 

This is another example of far too many forums based on exactly the same hobby and sharing exactly the same members.

This happens in so many hobbies, people see and join an active forum , then want to share the glory by starting their own forum ...attracting only the same members as the previous forum. This all leads to miss understandings and dilution of the membership all around. A shame it happens so often in so many hobbies.

Joe, everyone on the lsd had already read Pauls comments on here I guess , I dont see many names over there that arent here or on Fisd, and Stephan , Simon has other things on his mind rather than the odd picture being shared around Im sure.

Sorry if ive just offended every forum moderator between here and the death star , just my opinion.

Back on subject ..would PP or HDPE or whatever , that was available in 1977 be in mm at all ? The U.K. hadnt gone metric back then , more likely to be measured in thousands of an inch or multiples of 1/64 of an inch .

just googled this :

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
Random avatar
You are so right about having too many forums based on the hobby Rob.

I don't see why anyone has to be quoted on another forum and a new topic started about the same subject when just about all the same people are members of both (or all) forums.

Anyway, you are probably right about the metric thing Rob. I would say that they used 3/32 or 1/8. I used 3mm PP once and the helmet felt the same as Simons. It thinned down to 2mm and thinner in some areas, but still felt very rigid and not flimsy as the screen used helmets are thought to be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 am 

:rolleyes

I'll tell you why - sharing of information. Not all of us are the type to hoard LFL photos and then pm or email scraps of information to others who want to build an accurate suit. By your genius rationale you should not be posting on FISD and this forum, yet you are.

You guys certainly know how to squeeze the very last drop of any fun out of a hobby.

Joe

Edit: There are 74 members on LSD, 3120 on FISD and a different number on here. Not everyone is a member of all three forums...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 am 

O.K., Sorry for derailing this thread ,but Joe youve got the wrong end of the stick ..I was defending you and Turrican ,,,

But in my own defense here, the point I am making isn`t that people should hoard information and not spread it by sticking to just one forum , thats not what I meant at all ...

I was just saying that in my opinion there is no point in having duplicate forums with identical members , with maybe just one or two members on each board that are not members of the others , the rest being shared membership.

All it does is dilute the gene pool,each forum having less and less original content , and lead to absurd situations where some one is put on a banned member list for cross posting a photo (the very thing you are defending Joe).

As it happens Im not sure which photo Turrican posted , as the mods here have I assume deleted it ..no harm done.
However.......
Trying to keep something that has been posted to a web forum "secret" is a madness... Im pretty sure every member of the LSD has copys of Simons photos on their hard drives, and Im sure they have been passed around by email among the fanbase of interested partys.
Was anyone here seeing the photo that Turrican reposted for the first time ? I doubt it .

Having seen Simons suit , and the LFL archive photos, I dont think there are any "secrets" that can be learned from Simons photos, it is after all the same thing !!
I couldnt see any differences (appart from age) between a TM suit and Simons real deal.
The only thing Simons suit can teach us is by actual physical contact , the type/thickness of plastic etc ...and that isnt possible over the internet.

Come on guys, this is a hobby about costumes from a kids movie from 35 years ago right ? ... lets all enjoy it .

Rob (CatfoodRob)

Edit ...

Last edited by CatfoodRob on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am 

@ Rob, PM sent.

To be BTT:
If they used material which were ca. 3mm thick, how they reached those sharp lines?
Each one , which has tryed to make helmets out of 3mm thick material only got soft details.
For example the MfX helmets,and Guidon has a big professional thermoforming machine.
I not think that they had such a high tech back in 1976.
So my thought would be, if they used a special kind of HDPE or PP, which had a kind of diluent in it.
Was there in that time something available on the market which had this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 pm 

maybe there are to many duplicate forums but the fact is that at the bottom of simons post on lsd he said
Quote:
Please do not post them anywhere else without my permission.
turrican probably wanted to impress his mates

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

The pics will be taken down as soon as I receive a request from the original poster/Simon.

Leo, TPD Staff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:21 pm 

geordietrooper wrote:
maybe there are to many duplicate forums but the fact is that at the bottom of simons post on lsd he said
Quote:
Please do not post them anywhere else without my permission.
turrican probably wanted to impress his mates

Not realy, i not need this.
Read above and you know the reasons.
Send me PM's if you want to bash, or abuse me.
Not needed to go so far in off topic here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:26 pm 

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit here, I dont think any real harm has been done, and as to the pictures on the LSD that Turrican posted over here, well most of them were taken by me and I gave no one permission to post them on the LSD in the first place !!!!!

The studio pictures taken of the suit (not by me by a professional) are very very nice, but hardly going to harm Simon or his future fortunes, more likely make people lust for more !!

Its a merry go round that we need to jump off and forget.

Back on topic ...Simon is still hunting for the pictures of him as a youngster wearing the suit , in the hope that the right side of the helmet will give more clues to its screen appearances.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next