It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The ANH Helmet - From Digital Scan of Original to Print
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

And here's a close-up of the scaled print you see in the pictures I posted above.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 pm 

I'm loving the baby scale version......and the full1:1 obviously......very nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:16 pm 

so much , I said it twice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:55 am 

Way to cool :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Excellent! That detail is incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 am 

Sweeeet. :thumbsup

So that little one is about 1/3 scale?
So awsome detail for it`s size.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Yes, definitely less than half scale. I'll know more when I get it in hand, but about third scale seem like the right scale for the wee one.

Personally I hope for busts in that scale and there may be thoughts brewing about Vader busts in that scale too, either from my scans or something better. Though, all that simply hasn't been discussed properly yet, so may not go anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...

This thing has the highest level of detail I have ever seen in a TK helmet.

By far!

Period!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:37 am 

Holy crap thats a lot of detail!!! Great Job!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

It's interesting.

There are the helmets being made from a mold made from the inside of a helmet, done with the right plastic, the right color, painted, strapping system and lens material added. It's all great and all and you'll have recreated how the originals were made pretty conclusively. But the surface detail of the paint and the real chipping and paint drips will NOT be on the piece - it will have to be replicated. In that sense, it is more a replication of the generic trooper, regardless of how good you are at emulating the assembly, fitting and paint damage of the original helmet that was molded, than a perfect replica. It's a replica using the accurate materials, sure... but not with the prop specific details of the original that was molded. You can get close, but it will always be slightly off.

Then there are the helmets made from molds made off the outside of an original. They are not done up in the accurate plastic, but can be painted and fitted like the originals, but you don't have to worry about fitting the pieces together 100% accurately - that is already done - so it all comes down to finishing. You get all the paint details, paint chipping, drips, surface details, assembly, everything just right. Sure, these are made in fiberglass and not vac-formed plastic - but before the correct colored HDPE came into play, the complaint was just rather stupid to me.

Since I come from a background with interest in the Vader helmet, where all the surface details were the most important and not so much how the fiberglass was laid and all that - hell, you could get accurate surface details on an injection molded helmet just fine and I wouldn't have a problem with the use of ABS plastic: it still had the accurate details and was therefore superior in my mind to helmets done in the right material, but lacking the details.

I'm sure the issue some people have with fiberglass trooper helmets is because they are coming at the issue from a different POV on what they want. Do they want how the originals were made and assembled (the replication of the generic trooper) or do they want a perfect replica to the one that was molded. Both are equally accurate in their own rights. I'm all about surface details and 100% accurate assembly over the right materials used. Others want other things. I just find it interesting that there is possibilities for both types to get their interest satisfied. This is indeed an interesting hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:12 am 
Random avatar

Interesting thoughts,

Principally as a collector first I was more than happy with my FG lid as it sat on the display, in fact it was the reason I like ROTJ so much, perhaps because it was esthetically a one to one of the lid it came from compared to the varying degrees of distance the rest of the lids had from their source, that sat next to it. FG was objectivly the best looking :cool:

I think some bias depends on your background & interest? of coming from a replica prop collector or costumer?

if I was a costumer, I think I'd prefer to stand around with something lightweight than FG, so maybe would sacrifice the details over comfort??

I think ultimately I'd only be really content if I owned a screen used piece but suspect it's not going to happen unless I win lotto.

high end prop forgery like the example lid above & a couple of others is a close second. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think forgery is the right word to use here. Forgery, afaik, implies intent to deceive others into thinking it's the original piece. Maybe I'm wrong about the word. It just has a negative connotation to me.

This is a replica, the same as all others that try to emulate the original(s), but still nothing more than a replica.

Trying to sell one touted as *the original* would constitute forgery and fraud.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:05 pm 
Random avatar

I stand corrected, the word forgery does have a certain "love-joy" quality about it. :salut

But replica props that carry a such high degree of aesthetic fidelity needs more than just "replica" which Carry's a sway of other lids in that basket that "emulate" a piece.

either way a great project. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, this is a high end replica. LOL. My post wasn't meant to sounds as though I was biting your head off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes you just feel the magic and you just have to share it with everyone. Will be nice to be able to show off a painted one. Really glad we decided to post up the thread when we did and didn't wait until we had something more final to show off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next