It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Stone has a new toy, Sterling SMG
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 pm 

Just as the title says, I just picked up a de-activated Sterling SMG. This crappy economy has forced the sales of many collections lately. And I just happened to be in the right place at the right time with a pocket full of cash. :cool:

Post subject: Re: Stone has a new toy, Sterling SMG
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Woah! Great pickup!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 am 

caugh.. cast it... caugh. :toothy lol you are a lucky man stone!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:03 am 

I had thought of casting it, someday. But honestly, there are so many out there right now making copies of it that it is really not worth the trouble for me. I have, (for now) allowed the collector part of me have the better say in the argument. :cheers

I took a few photos of the piece, however I don't want to overdue sharing of them. Just because the Internet is already flooded with pics of Sterling weapons, but here is a few more could not hurt to much I guess. :cool: In these you will see an telescope. It is a real 1942 M38, and I got it in the same sale.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:47 am 

:wtf A sterling.. :drool
GEIL :la

May i ask what you paid for this beauty?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 pm 

Hey stone really nice find i love those right place,right time moments, you could really help out the E11 builders here with some close ups of the smaller details... things like the bayonet mount, rear cap & release mechanism etc, when i built my E11 i looked everywhere for decent pics of the small "detail" parts and there were none about so you could really help out the scratch builders among us. :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:19 pm 

If you don't mind, I would really not say what I paid for it. Lets just say that the seller made back what he had in it 8 years ago.

And yes, I too have scratch built E-11s and had problems finding good detail pics of certain areas. Or even finding an owner who was willing to divulge certain information of the workings of parts such as the folding stock.

I would be happy to photograph any parts that would be of interest. Or even take some measurements. Just so long as you are not in any big hurry for them :toothy

And I did also come across this little piece a while back as well. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 pm 

gh05ty wrote:
Hey stone really nice find i love those right place,right time moments, you could really help out the E11 builders here with some close ups of the smaller details... things like the bayonet mount, rear cap & release mechanism etc, when i built my E11 i looked everywhere for decent pics of the small "detail" parts and there were none about so you could really help out the scratch builders among us. :cheers

Maybe this helps ,too
http://search-manual-online.com/downloa ... dXJlLnBkZg

It's the User Manual of the MK 4 Sterling

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:42 am 

Nice project :)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm 

Wowsa! Lucky guy....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:00 am 

Well I up and did it. Got the MIG welder out and put ol Humpty Dumpty back to together again. :cheers

It started with finding some tubing with the exact same internal dia. as the Sterling had. So a bunch of trimming and welding and it is now back into full operational use again. I have ordered a semi auto bolt and trigger assembly for it, for nothing else just to keep my ass out of jail. And I don't know if I will even keep the full auto pieces around. Getting a class 3 license here in the States to legally own a full auto weapon is just such a pain in the ass that it is not even worth it for me.

But back to the gun. I resisted media blasting the repaired body and spraying it with black wrinkle paint. I just did my best job of touching up the repaired areas hitting it with some distressed looking paint work to closely match the other parts of the well worn appearance of the gun.

I have been real tempted to sit out on the front porch and clean this thing, letting the neighbors see me. They have already seen me walking around in a Vader costume so I'm sure that they all think that I'm mental. Might as well prove it. :thumbsup
I was just looking at the preview your post thing before I sent this off. And I just realized that the safety was not on while I was snapping the shots, and it was set on full auto cocked and loaded. :banger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 pm 

wow youve done a really nice repair/rebuild job there, so many of these and up with massive weld marks that need loads of grinding & filling before they even start to look good! i wish i could get one here in the uk legally.

All you need now is some alloy t-track (plastic might melt if fired) :thumbsup :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 am 

Well thank you sir, for the very kind words.

And yes you are correct. There are many out there that have been cobbled together and have a less than desirable appearance. I however suffer from 28 years of auto body and frame repair experience. So for me I just had to plan out every weld first after practicing on scrap to get the welder set up for what I was doing. Then after everything was spot welded, then checked for operation, it was then fully welded. And after it was allowed to cool by itself on the concrete it was treated to some time with the mini 1/2" wide belt sander. There is no filler on this piece. It is all metal finished, primmed, and paint.

I have no clue what the laws are for this type of thing in the UK. But keep in mind that they are all there for a reason. :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Random avatar

Just want to say what a stunning rebuild and a fantastic SMG :)