It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Tie Pilot Helmets & Armor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 am 

The DA helmet's looks awesome. The detail and the paintjob of the AT-AT is superb.
Also the Tie helmet is great in shape.
That's the first Fanmade AT-AT helmet i see , which have the screen accurate grey paint.

But ... i not hope that it's a complete copy of a other maker.
If yes, from which helmet exactly? Did he copy the complete AT-AT helmet and the complete Tie from one other??
Or only the faceplate??

I not want to support "plagiarism". As the chinese like to do in " real life" .lol.
If ti's true that he only copy the faceplate with permission and do the complete rest by himself.
Well...than i would more say it's a next generation helmet and not a complete copy of someone others work.

I hope you understand my POV.

Last edited by Turrican on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:02 am 
Random avatar

My Laws AT-AT Pilot is also painted in accurate grey. If i have unboxed it i will show some pics of it :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Vader1 wrote:
Too Much Garlic wrote:
I don't mean to sound snarky, but it was some dumb move by the 501st to "legitimize" these CAP and ATA and whatever recast helmets they allow.

The 501st does not condone recasting and does frown upon it, but cannot not police it. It is not a practical task, considering the number of costumes, the list of recasters, which grows everyday I am sure, and the GML's ability and or knowledge to recognize them.

I don't want to turn this into another 501st debate, but I still think that's such a cop-out. When the prop community can do it, then so can they. They just choose not to. And since they are a part of the prop community, since they get their stuff from there, they should really consider what damage they are allowing to the whole community by only concentrating on their little niche and allowing these leeches to ruin it for everyone.

I find it sad that they specifically direct newbies to buy recast armor... and then when the proud new owners post on other forums, they get blasted for buying recast. Also, no one wants to really use much time helping someone who buys recast armor, so that helps kill their joy as well and that's a damn shame for the buyer as he's likely an innocent in all this that just got bad advice. Of course... they can then go to 501st forums and get help aplenty, as the 501st doesn't care and is more about "community" and getting the right stuff cheap and fast with no care of what it hurts. Sure... this is a gross generalization... but go to any 501st forum and watch how many ATA and CAP threads there are. Do the same thing here - sure, this is not a Stormtrooper specific forum.

That is why we keep having these debates and that is why we keep imploring that they tighten up their act - when we can, they can. Anything else is just lazy and allowing leeches to ruin the whole hobby, just so niche specific members of the community can get their kicks. And that is why most of the cool stuff is kept in limited numbers and between close friends and not shared with the masses, because, clearly the masses don't care enough to protect the pieces. Does that sound elitist? Or does that just sound like someone wanting to protect the future of the community and the flow of new stuff instead of the same old tired recasts of the same thing we've seen for 10 years?

Turrican wrote:
If ti's true that he only copy the faceplate with permission and do the complete rest by himself.

As I said: a recaster cannot grant anyone permission. So this new faceplate is just a recast of a recast of a TE done without permission. Doesn't really matter how accurate he can make the things. All he had to do was get permission from TE and then all was fine and dandy, but since he clearly hasn't. It's just a recast. People will probably buy it anyway, not caring or realizing what they help to destroy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Seriously... my claws are not as sharp as I sound... I'm really a nice, down to Earth kinda guy, who just happens to have a nuke in his back pocket that goes off every now that then and fills the world with hazardous gas. Oh shit... did that just come out as sounding like I fart a lot? YAY global warming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:20 am 

Quote:
Turrican wrote:

As I said: a recaster cannot grant anyone permission. So this new faceplate is just a recast of a recast of a TE done without permission. Doesn't really matter how accurate he can make the things. All he had to do was get permission from TE and then all was fine and dandy, but since he clearly hasn't. It's just a recast. People will probably buy it anyway, not caring or realizing what they help to destroy.

Ok thanks for this info 'cause of the origin.

Simply question.
Where would you buy a screen accurate Tie fighter helmet?Which is not a recast , very close to the real deal and from a seller which is not a Assh.. , not such a complicate man as TE is?
I there one outthere?

Because of the 501st. (short)
I'm a member also and i more and more not like the way the 501st go.
Screen accurate and that what the 501st tell "movie like costumes" is like haven and hell, water and fire, thin and fat...
I also tried in past to tell newbies what they should buy if they ask me for help or infos , that they not should buy cheap crap or realy crappy armors which simply look shit.That they should look exactly which version they want , look at the details , read and learn about many differnent props which are out there.

Told it again and again, no avail. :grumpy
At last , i give up .

The fact is, that the most members of the 501st not care how accurate their armors are, that they not care what the oringin of the armors are, and that they not care if it's a reacast or not.
And why?.. cause nearly all armors are allowed in the 501st. Except rubies,.. till yet.
So who would matter than if it's a recast or not.No one.

The main point what is important for the most of them is , that it's cheap, maybe look like , for example, a stormtrooper and that they become a member and have there fun.

That is the main problem of the 501st.IMHO.
It's a communtiy where the main point is to have fun in funny costumes.
Not to have fun in screen accurate looking armor's which looking kiss ass.

That's also the reason because prop collectors or such which want screen accurate armors in the 501st and 501st normal members never will come to the same point.
I had to learn this the hard way.
That people whisper behind my back ... oh look at this one.. he have a TM armor...screen accurate :drool .. he think he's a better member as we in our cheap FX armors. :angry4
Only cause i tried to told the people that there are better armors outthere as the cheap crap.

Also this is for me the main point why i get more and more on distance to the 501st,respectively to my Garrison.
It can be a nice hobby , and you will meet many nice people, but 'cause of the prop-side it's the wrong communtiy for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, wow, yeah... that's a tough question. Dan Laws makes TIE's. He's the guy that made TE's molds anyway, so I don't think you can go better than that. If you can source a UK based helmet called the IH, then you are a more lucky man than I - had two pass right by my nose and I only saw it way too late. Honestly... I'm not so into TIEs, but would love to own one eventually... have just always experienced all variants lacking in some respect - a part looking off here and a part looking off there. Still waiting for the ultimate... and the IH is imo the best I've seen.

Well... yeah... the people in the 501st has a different approach to the hobby than prop collectors do. It's fine and okay when they trott around in their FX armor, then I don't really have an issue with it - even though it's GF's old sculpt and he could have earned a butt-load of money from all those sales - but when they move into our area, they had better be mindful and respectful of where their stuff comes from, instead of the "I'll take what I want and I'm gonna piss on you any way I want" attitude. Sure... there are many lovely people in the 501st who do nice things and have respect for the hobby and where their stuff comes from, so whenever I go on a tirade... it's sad that they also feel and get targeted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm 

I've owned a Laws V2, a IH and a Sgt Fang...the Laws V2 is the best in my book..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
Oh, wow, yeah... that's a tough question. Dan Laws makes TIE's. He's the guy that made TE's molds anyway, so I don't think you can go better than that. If you can source a UK based helmet called the IH, then you are a more lucky man than I - had two pass right by my nose and I only saw it way too late. Honestly... I'm not so into TIEs, but would love to own one eventually... have just always experienced all variants lacking in some respect - a part looking off here and a part looking off there. Still waiting for the ultimate... and the IH is imo the best I've seen.

Well... yeah... the people in the 501st has a different approach to the hobby than prop collectors do. It's fine and okay when they trott around in their FX armor, then I don't really have an issue with it - even though it's GF's old sculpt and he could have earned a butt-load of money from all those sales - but when they move into our area, they had better be mindful and respectful of where their stuff comes from, instead of the "I'll take what I want and I'm gonna piss on you any way I want" attitude. Sure... there are many lovely people in the 501st who do nice things and have respect for the hobby and where their stuff comes from, so whenever I go on a tirade... it's sad that they also feel and get targeted.

I agree with you.

But as i see on your answer of my questions ,btw. thank's for this info, it's seems to be very hard to get a screen accurate Tie helmet.
So i can understand why people buy those recasts.
Easier to get , maybe cheaper and maybe in also great quality.
Example , Dark Agent.

If someone realy want to get a nice looking Tie helmet for a good price, but not can get a IH or a Dan Laws as example, we need not to wonder if this person than buy a Dark Agent or a Cap or other Copy.
That's why the Recasters can sell there stuff.
That this maybe destroy this hobby ..well.. i not think that only a few people can change this, if the most of the others don't care about it.

If you may ask why i ask you this question, i played in my mind to build as next project a AnH Tie pilot.
Also to look after an DA helmet, but now as i know that he also recasting, well...i let it .

I for myself have also prop's from limited runs and i would never give them out of my hands to allow others to make copy's from it and i don't like it if other's don't do this, too.
That destroys the trust between us collectors and destroys so the hobby.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:17 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
I don't want to turn this into another 501st debate...

...And that is why most of the cool stuff is kept in limited numbers and between close friends and not shared with the masses, because, clearly the masses don't care enough to protect the pieces. Does that sound elitist? Or does that just sound like someone wanting to protect the future of the community and the flow of new stuff instead of the same old tired recasts of the same thing we've seen for 10 years?

No debate, I agree on all points and I do not think it is elitist.
I have been a member of this board and the other prop board for several years. And I agree on the recasting issue. :cheers If I had the the skill to create any of the beautiful prop items offered here and on other boards, I would go ballistic too if someone were to make a copy of it and try to make money off of it. :angry4

As a garrison CO, I do my best to guide future and current members to avoid recasters :nono, and remind them recasting is wrong and hurts the hobby, but ultimately I have no power to control what they purchase or deny them membership as a result. :banger

I apologize for derailing this thread.

501st Legion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 am 

im waiting for the day i can get a laws tie helmet. ive got the rest of his tie gear! if you want accurate id recomend the laws or if you really want to spend a load of cash, the SDS tie helmet is super sweet. but at $1,000 its out of my price range. just wish dans waiting list wasnt so dang long.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 am 

The Sgt Fang is a resin copy of the Don Post Deluxe. I believe Sarge stated he aquired the DP master for it. I have owned one for several years, it is not as accurate as the DL, but the Sgt Fang it is very durable. Mine was good cast with a nice smooth interior, there was minimal clean up of a few pin holds and trimming the eyes out and trimming the neck opening. And has survived incidents I know if it had been fiberglass would have been very bad news.

501st Legion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 am 

the dark knight wrote:
...the SDS tie helmet is super sweet. but at $1,000 its out of my price range.

Also, unless something has changed SDS cannot not ship the the US since the LFL lawsuit.

501st Legion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Oh... I agree. The recasters win in several instances because they have been successful in driving the competition of the original makers off from wanting to offer stuff to people... so they just swoop in with their second rate stuff and people will think it's the bomb because they simply have no better option - they don't know how the good stuff really looks, so think that what they get is the best, since it was clearly copied from the original makers stuff... so rightly, it should be the same.

If only I had saved the myriads of examples showing how recasts really compare in quality with original maker pieces. You'd shit your pants that for just a few hundred bucks more you could get the best of the best, just requiring you to wait 1 or 2 months more saving up instead of just getting some POS right away.

But yes... it's a shame. The original maker stuff is drying up... and we can thank recasters and recaster supporters for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:11 am 

i agree 100% that recast crap sucks. a year and a half ago i was a dumb noob, and never heard of this stuff before. i was crusing flea bay and ran across these cool tie pilot helmets in fiberglass. so told some people id like one and got it for christmas. i was soo happy..... untill i opened the box and saw that this recasted starfortress helmet was the worst P.O.S ive ever seen. then i found out what a great guy he is (sarcasm). so i sanded, bondoed, built, cut and painted this thing. that tie helmet of his has to be the worst recasted don post ive ever seen. i spent $150-200 rebuilding it, could have bought a fang, DL, or any other helmet and been much happier. heck when i was done, i could have bought a DL hemet outright! after that (and many hours of research) i decided no more. i did break my rule a few months ago and bought an spfx helmet. i can see why starfortress has such a huge ebay presence. his auctions look great, products look legit. untill you get one and see how horrible they are. hope he is struck by lightning some day. :violent but, i see the draw, no wait lists. however, you are the one who pays the price in the end.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:51 am 

I'd still like an IH, missed out on 2 auctions of his and the next thing i know the guy stops making them, still the nicest TIE replica i've seen. :banger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next