It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ROTJ Reveal Mask – Interior Mesh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 am 

I’ve been recently taking an interest in studying the Vader reveal mask as seen in Return of the Jedi. When looking at the mesh used in what is supposed to be Vader’s optical systems I assumed that it was just round hole perforated sheet metal. However upon closer inspection this appears not to be the case.

The mesh appears to be made up of thin pieces of metal that undulate, forming holes on the sides. I know I’ve seen this kind of mesh before, but where and what it was called I don’t remember. Does anybody here happen to know?

Post subject: Re: ROTJ Reveal Mask – Interior Mesh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 pm 

I think it's perforated metal rather than traditional wire mesh. Very thin metal would be pressed into by an array of spikes that pierce it on one end and deform it on the other end, resulting in the formation of "volcanoes" on the side we're viewing in the photo.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:02 am 

.. This stuff has been the bane of my life (Vader Reveal-wise) for a while now!

I have a small sample of a mesh that's very similar, but I'm having difficulty getting a sheet of it from the manufacturer at the moment. The problem is that the tooling used to make the mesh is old and is wearing out. I bought a sheet of this stuff recently but it doesn't look much like the sample I have, the perforations now being too big. I'm talking to the makers at the moment and they may be producing new tooling... not sure if that's confirmed yet, it's an expensive process.

This is a shot of the sample I have and is the closest I've found so far.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 am 

gonk27 wrote:
.. This stuff has been the bane of my life (Vader Reveal-wise) for a while now!

I have a small sample of a mesh that's very similar, but I'm having difficulty getting a sheet of it from the manufacturer at the moment. The problem is that the tooling used to make the mesh is old and is wearing out. I bought a sheet of this stuff recently but it doesn't look much like the sample I have, the perforations now being too big. I'm talking to the makers at the moment and they may be producing new tooling... not sure if that's confirmed yet, it's an expensive process.

This is a shot of the sample I have and is the closest I've found so far.

Jeremy

I know exactly what you mean about trying to find this mesh!

That does look very close indeed. Does it have a particular name? Or is it just listed by a serial code?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:27 pm 

I'll go through my notes when I get time Corbadda, and I'll let you know if I'm able to get the right stuff!

Jeremy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 am 

CSMacLaren wrote:
I think it's perforated metal rather than traditional wire mesh. Very thin metal would be pressed into by an array of spikes that pierce it on one end and deform it on the other end, resulting in the formation of "volcanoes" on the side we're viewing in the photo.

Yes, I would agree with you Mac. Maybe it is more of a type of grating then it is a mesh?

gonk27 wrote:
I'll go through my notes when I get time Corbadda, and I'll let you know if I'm able to get the right stuff!

Jeremy

Great! Thanks Jeremy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 am 

We also can’t forget that there was another type of mesh in the chin part of the helmet. I find this mesh to be more interesting as it has a unique appearance.

My first thought was that this could be some sort of screen for an electric razor. However it appears to be rather thick. Anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 pm 

Ha! yeah, still looking for that too!

It seems to be the same type of mesh used in the eyes, but we're seeing the other side of it (the side you see looking into Vader's eye lenses from the outside) the difference is that the vocoder mesh is a finer grade with smaller holes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:40 am 

gonk27 wrote:
Ha! yeah, still looking for that too!

It seems to be the same type of mesh used in the eyes, but we're seeing the other side of it (the side you see looking into Vader's eye lenses from the outside) the difference is that the vocoder mesh is a finer grade with smaller holes.

Are you sure about this? When viewing that particular mesh from the top it appears to be flat. Notice the narrow strip added to the front of the vocoder.

As well as from the side of that same strip.

And also what do you make of the row of elongated openings that appear at regular intervals down the meshes length?

It also appears that this same mesh was used to fill the openings of the two “speakers” that appear on either side of the vocoder section.

I also found this mesh is seen being used again on the Bespin Comlink as it appears in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary. Though I can’t be certain if this is photograph of the actual screen used prop or just one they made up for the book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:50 pm 

Hi Corbadda

Yep, I'd seen the mesh in that comlink thing and I'd bet it's the same stuff!

.. and Yes, I'm pretty sure the vocoder mesh is the same type of stuff as the inner eye band, and isnt flat (wish it was, as then I could simply get it photoetched! which I did to begin with).

The curves of the perforations on the 'raised' side (on the inside for the eyes and the underneath side that we never see on the vocoder) are really really small, and kind of disappear when you look at the mesh in cross section.

Here are some shots to illustrate:

This is the same mesh that I posted earlier in this thread

..and this is the same piece in cross section - which to my eye looks similar to the tiny strip on the black backing in front of the Vader Revealed mouth keys

Jeremy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 pm 

.. oh and about the mesh in the two circular 'speakers' I'm not completely sure, but I think that mesh is finer than both the eye and vocoder pieces.

The elongated holes in the vocoder mesh are a manufacturing defect I believe. It could possibly show that the mesh from the Bespin comlink and the Vader Reveal vocoder came from the same sheet!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:12 pm 

Seeing your pics makes me believe you are right and that this is the same type of mesh as the eye piece. If the elongated holes are indeed a factory defect then it’s going to be very difficult to replicate I’m afraid. :pale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:11 am 

.. yeah, unless you try to wrench the mesh with a pair of pliers, or mangle it in a vice somehow!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:04 am 
Random avatar

It's not a factory defect...when I researched this years ago, I believe they referred to as a 'nesting area'. The die is punched into the material and then the material is pulled, producing the elongated 'hole'. I doubt we will ever find the actual mesh, but don't let me discourage anyone....keep looking!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:41 pm 

Ah! well cool, thanks for the info!