It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Edit: Issues with recent events on the forums.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 am 

I think that I speak for most people when I say that this is a hobby.

Hobbies are supposed to be fun, Gino takes the fun out of the hobby for me. He hoardes information in an effort to elevate himself to some kind of divine status. He savagely attacks others like me, Sithlord, TE, TM, GH etc in relentless smear campaigns.

TE found an original helmet, which trust me is no easy feat, nor is it cheap, and took moulds, without this Gino would have nothing, then surprise surprise the deal went sour with TE.

Gino lies about the origins of his Darth Vader helmets and is constantly adding details when others make discoveries with regards to accuracy.

What would we lose by not having the company of this aggressive, nasty little piece of work? There are others with equally if not better knowledge of Stormtroopers and Vaders, such as Jez Hill aka 'Bingbongo'

I am fed up of the constant attacks, it is ruining what should be a fun hobby.

Joe

Ps: I have sourced two original Stormtrooper helmets and shared pictures with the community, and been attacked for doing so :rolleyes

Last edited by JoeR on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What does Gino contribute to the hobby?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 am 

This Is A Hobby and a passion for all of us. God some of us dream and obsess about props all the time. I know I do!.
Ive never claimed to be an expert of anything. But i hope that i treat everyone with respect and honour .
I find it my duty to help others and just be a friendly chap.
It is a hobby for christ sake.

To chastise anyone to gain a higher status is just plain wrong.
No one person owns the rights to the props apart from the studios who paid for them to be commisioned in the first place.

We are all in a very privileged position just to see pictures, never mind hold one in our hands.
Discussing these props should be a dream and pleasure and its often soured by the"few".

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:35 am 

My own personal take on 'the Gino situation' is that I feel pretty
much everyone is (on the inside at least) very impressed
with his displays and obviously by the amount of studying he
has done on the subject. However, he does, for whatever reason, seem to go to
great lengths to make himself unpopular.

I don't know why and it is a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

We encourage freedom of speech but I hope this doesn't get out of hand?

Personally, I don't agree with how Gino behaves sometimes, I also see flaws in his Vader's that he passes off as exact replicas. Despite what he may think I have no dislike for him or his contributions. TBH, I have stopped sharing alot myself thesedays as a direct result of others being backstabbers. So, I no longer criticise his motives for not sharing, otherwise that would be hypocritical.
He really doesn't contribute much but he does make small runs of items at times, which naturally is a contribution. He is the king of self promotion but, I do give him credit for being an SW prop fan and going to great length's to put on good displays. Even though I have seen better individual displays behind the scenes, there is no denying that he has a vast range of well groomed mannequins that get people's attention. His Maul is the best I have seen.

I don't agree with the way he goes after people sometimes, especially as he is far from a saint. The way he does it often hurts the hobby, himself and the person in question. Much of the time he has a hidden agenda that is actually very transparent. Sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he gets it wrong.

That’s as neutral as I can be on the matter. To summarise, I think he does contribute something to the hobby it's just not to everyone's taste or handled correctly at times.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:26 pm 
Random avatar

DVV, that is about as good a way as you, or anyone can put it. I am on decent terms with GINO, and he does offer a bit of knowledge. Yes, his approach needs work to be PC about things, but then again, I am VERY un-PC myself. He is a very polarizing individual. The people who are in the know, like you and GINO, have been burned a few times, which makes you seem very closed down about what they offer, but when you guys are right, you are right.

Guys, the thing is, the research is still out there to be had. The way DVV has done it, the way GINO has done it. Nothing has really changed. If anything, it is easier now. They offer up nuggets of truth that people can either accept and move on with, or deny and complain about. It's all about standing on the shoulders of others to catch up to the knowledge these folks have. These guys have been burned too many times to count, so don't count on too much more from them but "It's like this, trust me".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 pm 

Joe, I think everyone mentioned in your post, including yourself, has contributed in one way or another to the hobby and that includes Gino. How we all deal with each others personalities is a completely different question. IMO, it's not a question as to whether Gino has contributed or not, since I believe he has, it's perhaps in the way he's gone about it that sets people off. Paul mentioned his Darth Maul display. Hands down it is one of the best displays I've seen, Maul or otherwise. Someone's personal opinion of Gino is (or should be) irrelevant when it comes to the visual appreciation of the display. So in essence, his display is a contribution to the community.

I think what everyone needs to ask themselves is: How much of your enjoyment really comes from the props and/or how much of your enjoyment comes from the people in the hobby? If I allow one person to have that much influence over my happiness, in anything that I am involved with, then I think it's time that I re-evaluate what is really important to me.

I'll use this example: I love going to Walt Disney World in Orlando. I hate the high costs. I hate the long lines. I don't particularly like all the people, but I go for the enjoyment it brings to my kids'eyes and every once in a while, I remember what it was like when my parents brought me. Although I hide it, I feel that quick jolt of being a kid again and it makes me feel good. That's what I get out of this hobby. It's not about the people with their egos, or their internet balls, or the high prices I've paid. It's about the props and the enjoyment I get out of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 pm 
Random avatar
But when is it time to say enough is enough? Great displays or not, he has an agenda.

If that was me posting like that I would be canned in a heartbeat... I might not have all the best parts in the world, but my Vader manny looks pretty good. As do all of yours. I understand the ones that have screen parts. I understand why you don't share every detail. I think that it is safe to say while Gino's are close, there not screen. There copy's. Just like mine. His are far better, but copies none the less.

I am a tad guilty, finding out the information is easier if you just ask. But if that is not an option it all comes down to how bad you want it. If it can be done by Gino, it can be done by anyone. I don't think there is any super secret knowledge that time would not reveal.

Passion is not a bad thing. Having a standard is not a bad thing. But all the ranting and pointing and hate is really gone to far. Its really our fault. We let him spool us up. I know I do at times.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:01 am 
Site Admin

I'm not really sure what the intent of this thread is. He is not here...

This hobby is individual in terms of how we each participate. We each decide how we want to act and be perceived and treat others. Instead of getting up in arms over how others act, we should all take extra care about how we come across to others instead. All we really have control of in this community and in our lives are our own actions and how we conduct ourselves. Change others by setting an example of proper behavior.

I am not in this hobby for anyone else but me. I don't agree with everybody. The people that rub me the wrong way I usually try to stay away from and not interact too much with them - but I won't be rude and not reply if they ask questions or say something I actually agree with.

My purpose is to stay true to myself and will deal with anyone as they deal with me. Agree or disagree all they want - if there is respect, respect will be given in return.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 am 

I really didn't want to post in this thread, but what the heck.

It takes all kinds of people to make up the hobby. I'm just here to discuss and compare props and replicas and each one of us has our own focus or what motivates us in the hobby. Gino has some excellent costume displays and that's something he can be justifiably proud of, but if he's going to present things as being authentic then he should be willing to discuss it, otherwise it is simply embellishment. I also saw in person the original Maul costume his was based off of...so it's not like he has secret sources for everything. But he likes to present it that way. If it is secret and exclusive, it must be special. But those things by themselves don't automatically make something authentic.

Notwithstanding whatever views I might have of his collection, asking what he contributes is no different than asking what anyone else contributes. It would be like asking what worth is he to the hobby? A hobby is a community and in spite of his behavior to the contrary, I think Gino sincerely wants to be a part of the community. It is just the way he goes about it. It is obvious he wants to be top of the heap in everything. He can achieve that simply by out-doing himself in regards to his collection. But it also seems he tries to be the best by lessening or belittling the contribution or the collections of others, no matter who they may be. We are not here to out-do one another. We are here to discuss and learn more about props and replicas, and to hopefully add to and enhance our collections.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 am 

runnriottt wrote:
Its really our fault. We let him spool us up. I know I do at times.

And that is exactly my point. You, along with others, give him that power over you. You don't have any emotional attachment to him, so why let it bother you? You believe he has an agenda. Ok, what now? I'm mean seriously, what do you plan to do about it? Is it going to be your mission in life to expose him or bring him down? I'm not saying you have to like him. I'm not saying you have to accept him. I'm not saying you are wrong in your beliefs about him because they are your feelings and I don't question that, but in order for you to enjoy this hobby, you are going to have to find a way to co-exist with other personalities that irritate you, otherwise you will spend your days emotionally exhausted. Much how I imagine you felt when you wrote your post. Do you enjoy feeling like that? I don't think so.

I can't tell anyone what the hobby should mean to them, only what it means to me. I can with 100% certainty tell you that my enjoyment of the hobby does not revolve around one person's actions or statements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:13 am 
Site Admin

I have to say, amongst this thread are some of the best posts I have seen for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:57 am 
Random avatar
And you are right DK. I had to really sit down and think about it. I started out standing up to what I thought was a bully, and ended up making a fool of myself in some ways.

I will go back to focusing on the wear of these items, not the make up. I understand that area far better. Is it fair that people can treat others this way through a keyboard? Not in my opinion, but you are right. Just leave him be. He can only rant if we listen.

Hard lesson learned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:57 am 

runnriottt wrote:
And you are right DK. I had to really sit down and think about it. I started out standing up to what I thought was a bully, and ended up making a fool of myself in some ways.

I will go back to focusing on the wear of these items, not the make up. I understand that area far better. Is it fair that people can treat others this way through a keyboard? Not in my opinion, but you are right. Just leave him be. He can only rant if we listen.

Hard lesson learned.

You have not made a fool of yourself. I only wanted to bring to your attention another option when dealing with something that can adversely affect you.

It's all good, just continue to focus on what you feel are the positives of the hobby. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:31 pm 

Guys

Some really mature and thoughtful responses.

I made a mistake, the title of the thread is wrong.

I just wanted to share my frustrations, this hobby should be about fun, certain people are taking the fun out of the hobby. Hell Gino has contributed much more to knowledge/displays than I ever could. BUT his attitude is particularly unpleasant.

The point of this thread was to vent frustration....

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Well if you had said. "Does Gino's attitude affect the hobby and it's members"?

That would be a very different thread and I would have to probably lock it (just kidding) :lol. However, I was very happy reading the responses despite people's past relations with Gino.