It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Fiberglass or Plastic?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 am 

Guys,

Just a theoretical question. Let's say there is a 1:1 scale fan sculpt of a stormtrooper that looks recently accurate and you're one of those people who collect one of every make (provided they look great).

Would you prefer they be vacuum formed plastic where there might be some loss of detail, or something in fiberglass which might be a tad heavier but that reflects the way it was sculpted?

Thoughts?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject: Re: Fiberglass or Plastic?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:47 am 

I like the vacuum formed plastic more then I like the fiberglass ST helmets. I am just basing it on my dislike of the MR fiberglass helmet. I just perfer my AP, TE and GF over the MR verison. Its still a nice helmet never the less.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 am 

I think the only case I'd want a Fiberglass version is like the TE SFS situation where it was done using a scan, so faithfully copied at least exterior-wise. Still would prefer and awesome flawless unaltered mould and accurate pulls in correct materials.

I like custom sculpts, TM seemed to pull one off fairly well accurate-wise. I don't think folks would want one of his in fiberglass -- could be wrong?

What, you got?

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:09 am 

I'm sculpting a hyrbid. It's got influences from the SFS, the Move Along, the Stunt and the Hero all kind of rolled up into one. I was really needing a break from the Vader projects and wanted to do something really fun. I want to get a few more ounces of clay on this before showing progress shots, if at all.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 am 

I always thought the tough part about making an interior mould is allowing for the thickness and pull properties of the plastic. If you do a faithful sculpt of how somthing looks it just won't look the same after the plastic is formed -- sounds like fiberglass would be the way to go for your project?

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:56 am 

That's good advice. Since this is my first Stormie-related sculpt, I'm naturally approaching it with epoxie clays - just like my Vader projects, as that's the way I'm set up. Rather than try to set up bucks at this point for vac forming, I need to first achieve a reasonable likeness that I like. Again, I'm not doing this to be uber accurate. Since the Vader side of collecting can get so hostile and political, I just want to have fun sculpting again. I haven't transitioned yet to regular sculpting clay, as I still love sanding and dremeling as needed.

I don't suppose it would hurt for me to share a pic. Please go easy on me, as I'm not one who's studied Stormtroopers for years like some of the folks here on the Den. I'm not looking for a critique on uber accuracy. I kind of wanted the sculpt to take on its own character. Having fun and having something enjoyable is more important to me at this point.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 am 

Crap dude. Nice :cheers how long did that take you? Kinda has the ROTJ/SE look to it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:20 am 

Looks like a damn fine start to me!
You clearly have a great eye and the hands to augment your vision.
:thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 pm 
Random avatar
At Celabration Japan there was a trio of Clones in fiberglass... Great detail but they could not move well. One false step and it would crack. It was pretty well made too...

I would access if you want to wear it. If not, only for display then FG might be ok.

Body armor pinches, pokes and prods... The last thing I want is a crack or worse a fiberglass splinter in my hide!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:29 pm 

Without the teeth, he kind of has a gillman look about him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:29 pm 

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I think this has been about 2-3 weeks in the making, and it's getting heavy with the epoxy clay. I haven't transitioned to real clay yet, which will eventually be my goal. But one thing I'm doing differently is that I started to use some gutter wire mesh so I don't have to use so much clay, but to keep the clay from drooping. I still pack a heck of a lot onto it. And there is a lot of sanding. Ugh. I might as well call it "Sandy". :hehe-err Using epoxy clay means I add a bit, wait a day or so for it to cure, and then sand. Sanding often shows an irregular surface so I may have to patch, wait to cure, then sand, and repeat it until it starts looking nice and smooth. (Now, if anyone asks me to sculpt a bumpy cap, I'll go Wookie on your a$$. :toothy )

I don't intend to make armor, so cracking as a result of movement shouldn't be an issue, as there's nothing bearing pressure on the head. I'm actually trying to not make this ROTJ, but someone other than Finger had pointed it out that the forehead looked a bit rounded, hence the ROTJ look, so I'll have to check the forehead again. The screen used is an irregular shape, and I haven't quite figured it out. I was gunning for ANH. I also realize the stormtrooper is the most recast helmet in the fandom. Everyone has everyone else's features. But I'm not adverse to making this ROTJ either.

I realize the ROTJ is a taller and slimmer look, but I was gunning a bit for the Move Along proportions just a bit, but without the upward curving brow that everyone does.

I notice the ROTJ's wearer's left ear angles forward in a similar fashion to the SFS.

THanks to Troopermaster and Rob discussing the pinch on the side tubes, I'll have to factor those into the sculpt.

The face took me about a week to nail down. I may still tweak it a bit, but this was utterly fascinating to sculpt. The original is more organic than I had realized, and until I really looked up close I would not have realized what a splendid job the original sculptor, Liz Moore, did to this. A direct interpretation of the concept Stormies is, quite frankly, easier. There are subtleties she sculpted such as the bridge of the nose - the eyes normally overlap the face, but the nose arch sticks out more than the eyes. Her work was absolutely amazing.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:40 pm 
Random avatar

That's looking pretty good! Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Mac, honestly, you never seize to amaze me. Impressive as hell sculpt.

My personal thought when I saw this is that you should try to do it as symmetrical as possible and not wonky as the originals. I know getting as close to original is a way to strengthen your sculpting and artistic skills... but still.

Something like what is seen here:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

Excellent sculpt Mac :thumbsup ...a lot of work too!!

Can't wait to see the end results!

Whilst I do like the finish from fiberglass, I prefer plastic due to it being used on the original stormtrooper armour/helmets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:58 pm 
Random avatar

Mac,

That is really an amazing sculpt. Top marks all around. I don't know what your plans are for this helmet, but it would be great if you could do these in ABS or Styrene, or maybe a rotocast resin helmet like Sarge makes for his Fetts.

I think a lot of troopers would love to upgrade there bobble head FXs with something of this quality.

-best

Dan