It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Putting the white in Stormtrooper...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:16 am 

zenwalker wrote:
Wannab, I agree from a purely theoretical argument that there is no evidence that the armour was not painted white. But, from a practical stand point it makes no sense why they would paint it white if it was already white. That scenario just seems doubtful.

Just to be clear I was playing devils advocate for TM's sake (not that he needs me to do that). I just saw a point made that needed addressing from his standpoint. TM & I disagree on this topic, but not in the "you're an idiot" kind of way that seems to pop up, just friendly debate.

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:18 am 

troopermaster wrote:
They would paint white plastic if it was dull or off white. I think there is no doubt the armour was white plastic, but regular ABS is not glossy (from my experience with it anyway) so if they spray painted all those helmets, couldn't they give the armour a warm over coat to bring it up glossy for filming? It's possible that they blasted a coat over the sheets before they left AA's and were assembled and 'then' touched up. The sheen on the armour is very inconsistant throughout ANH in my opinion.

That's why I posted those pics above...definitely a glossy look that I haven't seen on AP ABS no matter how much Novus you use. That's why if not painted maybe just acrylic capped plastic like below...

But if it is inconsistent throughout the film...well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:26 am 
Random avatar

Troopermaster you make some good points. If the ABS was to dull they may even have sprayed them with a gloss laquer or something rather than painting them, who knows?

If you watch ANH on DVD and look verrry closely at the helmets next to the armour in the scenes that are brightly lit, you will notice that the stunt helmets have a whiter look to them than the armour does. It is pretty subtle but if you look extremely closely you will notice a difference between the two. The helmets seem a bit shinier than the armour also.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 am 
Random avatar
Yes, the armour does look a slightly different white from the helmet. The helmets are beige HDPE and had to be undercoated and/or repainted so the paint would adhere, where the armour was already white and probably just needed a light coat to bling it up. It's a strong possibility that the helmets were painted using a different kind of paint altogether, and maybe the helmets lined up outside AA's were just primed?

Wannab and myself are just in disagreement over the subject in a friendly way. Discussing these kind of things will always bring a difference in opinions, and that's fair enough. That's what I like about the forums, everyone throwing their opinions out there and maybe get more info so we can crack the myth once and for all :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:09 pm 

Having inspected REALLY detailed countless photos of original armour its absolutely clear to me that they ARE NOT PAINTED. No marks, bleeding, flaking, nothing. Ive handled countless original helmets which have been painted and its absolutely clear its painted.

But Zenwalkers point is valid in that I suppose it IS possible that the armour COULD have been sprayed with a lacquer. possible.

However as I said before the two original ANH XWing helmets I authenticated for Christies were made of a glossy ABS and its more than reasonable to assume that this was the same ABS he used fior the trooper suits. The ABS at that time had one side which was dull, and one that was more reflective. Whether its what we now know as "acrylic capped" I dont know - but it was shiny! I'll post a good pic later if people want

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

I want. Does my count vote? :lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm 

sure does NHM

As you can see the 1976 ABS does look quite shiny, with the inside was considerably duller. Colour wise it has faded a little and in addition the hue is different by contrast to the newer 2005/6 HIPS of the ears.

In my view the armour was made from the same ABS as this helmet.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:40 pm 
Random avatar
Have a look at this forearm comparison and let me know what yout think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

TM... my sink looks like that occasionally... but then I wipe it clean.

I can't honestly say whether it's one over the other - painted or not painted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:57 am 
Random avatar

Based on Troopermaster's above photo I would have to say I don't know if the armour was painted or not. The screenused armour does have a lot of texture to it which could be caused by the painting process I suppose. But it could also possibly be from the moulding process... I dunno?
Based on all the information we have though, I am still leaning to the theory that the armour was unpainted ABS.