It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Rivets?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:31 pm 

It’s me again with another question. I was wondering where you can get the tool needed to make rivets like the one in the picture.

I hear it’s a hand tool but I can’t seem to find where to get them and the ones I do find seem to only do blind rivets (the ones with a hole in the center of the cap) which doesn’t appear accurate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Post subject: Re: Rivets?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:02 pm 

I actually think the rivets on the armour body are jeans rivets as the tops are smooth

not the normal pop rovets

And it looks like hans belt (picture you hosted) is held on by 4 flat head machine screws

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 am 

There is a kind of... thing... that is a flat mushroom top, but it has two flat "legs" that allow you push the legs through several pieces of paper and then the "legs" are folded in opposite directions. I don't know if it's strong enough to handle that.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 am 

firebladejedi wrote:
I actually think the rivets on the armour body are jeans rivets as the tops are smooth

I think you are right. I went out and got some jean rivets and added them to my armor. Even if they aren’t the exact things used they look correct with the smooth tops. The small ones that are 3/8” look to be the accurate size. I had to install them the old fashion way with a setter and a mallet.

Now what am really curious about is the “holes” you see in the armor here:

I assume they are somehow connected to how the elastic attached the ab plate and chest plate together. I never noticed them before until someone pointed them out to me and sure enough if you watch ANH you can see them on the various Stormtroopers. I’ve also noticed similar holes in various production photos on the kidney plate and on the butt plate.

I’m just not sure what they actually are. Are they rivets as well but a different kind? The backside of the jean rivet does have a hole in them so maybe they are just put in backwards. However it’s hard to see any outlines and I don’t know if painted white the rivets would blend in that well. Does anybody have any insight on this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 pm 

Yep there are 6 smaller rivets in the chest plate, where 3 straps connect, there are 2 on the left side, 2 in the middle and 2 on the right side. Im not sure how these work but they are there.

The jeans rivets i have are smooth on both parts of the rivet, maybe different brands are different?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:23 am 

firebladejedi wrote:
The jeans rivets i have are smooth on both parts of the rivet, maybe different brands are different?

The jean rivets come in two types, Rapid Rivets and Double Cap Rivets. I only ended up getting the Double Cap Rivets because it was all they had at the store I went to.

I wish I could figure out what the six smaller rivets were. :banger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:35 am 

Okay, I think I have it figured out. I was just making things more difficult than they have to be.

Those are indeed smaller rivets, about 3/32” I would guess. I believe they are the smooth caps just like the bigger rivets on the side. What I thought looked like little holes was just the paint coming off exposing the metal underneath.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 pm 

I posted this find in the Trooper Armor forum. I'm not saying these are the screen-used ones, but until you find the absolute best, may these help hold your armor together - or give you some ideas and options.

They are available at: http://www.hohm.com/BAGS/supply.htm

They're known as Tubular Rivets or Cap Rivets.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )