It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Probably gointg to get my a$$ handed to me v rubies question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm 

Yea, so normally, I would write off Rubie's products, especially the Jango helmet, but Ive been seeing alot of comparison pics between it, and the DPCA. The biggest problem with me right now, is money is tight, and trying to afford a DPCA is out of the question.

Aside from the many flaws, such as paint/lenses, what else would I need to help convert a rubie's supreme vader into ESB? I have some metal tusks on its way to take care of that..

Or am I just better off trying to save up for a more quality helmet? Thanks

-TC

Post subject: Re: Probably gointg to get my a$$ handed to me v rubies question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:05 pm 

Someone's done a pretty decent conversion....either on RPF or here...you can try searching threads with the keyword of Rubies...

:cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Personally... if you are going for something that is even the slightest accurate the material cost will set you back what is equivalent to a high priced helmet. They simply screwed around too much with the Rubies to be worth it, but that's just my opinion. I've seen several who was able to turn this ugly creature into something very cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Personally... if you are going for something that is even the slightest accurate the material cost will set you back what is equivalent to a high priced helmet. They simply screwed around too much with the Rubies to be worth it, but that's just my opinion. I've seen several who was able to turn this ugly creature into something very cool.

Perhaps. If I were to go through with a rubies conversion, I'd make obvious changes, and re-inforce the interior with fiberglass, and begin to fix and correct proper details. One thing I can say confidently is that I'd redo the center stripe on the dome to give it a much more defined look. I think it can be done more easily then trying to mod any other rubies helmets. I've seen miracles happen with rubies fett helmets, and I think that it can be performed with one of these.

Don't get me wrong, if I end up having enough money, I wouldn't hesitate to get me a much more accurate and quality helmet. I am only speaking of this out of cost, and the need for trooping in it.
Thanks!

-Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 am 

Well, this is an old thread, but better here then..

I went out and picked up a brand new Rubies vader for $24 on clearence at a local sam goody. I had to since I was borrowing a Rubies supreme for a troop (it was really wanted for the troop)

Anyways, so now I have this bucket to work with. I have a few questions now, regarding it's flaws and whatnot, so I'll just get to it

I'm ignoring the dome, cause I already know it, and it's placement of it (out of the factory) is wrong. It's believed that the face is the same as the DP, and the DP is believed to have been molded off an original screen used ESB lid..so then why is it that the DP is highly sought after, and the rubies is not (I know, coming from me, sounds like herecy). I know the issues already, at least to make it ESB style, wrong lenses/eyes needs to be re-worked, only needs 3 ridges, not four, new tusks, the bottom space between the teeth/grill needs to be sanded down flat, lower, and of course, a total repaint.

Other then those pieces that needs to be fixed, why is it that the Rubies face mask is not used as often? Its seems like a cheap alternative, and I don't think it really takes as much work as some people make it out to be to make it a decent lid. I sat here comparing them to screenshots, the physical details and asymetry is there, just like the DP as well.

Either I must be blind or it's really under rated as a good base to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 am 

I did it as i couldnt afford a ready made helmet.
Im very pleased with the results. If i were to do another supreme conversion then i would get at least the dome professionally painted as that is a bugger to do a clearcoat on.

Here is a few links to help...
http://www.imperial-fleet.com/BBC/vader/

http://takersproplair.aokforums.com/supreme-mod-in-a-weekend-vt189.html

http://takersproplair.aokforums.com/rubies-anh-mod-vt314.html

good luck and enjoy it.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Admin

It may have come from the same place as the DP, but Rubies did something else to it. The best way I can explain it is that they butchered the helmet and put it back together and made a mess of things. The DP is hands down more accurate to the original than that bastardized helmet called a Rubies Supreme.

The eyes have been tooled too large, the mouth too small, the whiskers under the cheeks are too narrow... the neck flair is extreme. Comparing it to a DP CA or the original should show you many of it's structural flaws.

You can get a decent helmet by doing those mods you mentioned and painting it, but you won't get accurate.

The dome is actually pretty good, shape-wise, you just need to sharpen some features and build up the inside flange edges.

The whole setup works better as a RotJ than a ESB, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
It may have come from the same place as the DP, but Rubies did something else to it. The best way I can explain it is that they butchered the helmet and put it back together and made a mess of things. The DP is hands down more accurate to the original than that bastardized helmet called a Rubies Supreme.

The eyes have been tooled too large, the mouth too small, the whiskers under the cheeks are too narrow... the neck flair is extreme. Comparing it to a DP CA or the original should show you many of it's structural flaws.

You can get a decent helmet by doing those mods you mentioned and painting it, but you won't get accurate.

The dome is actually pretty good, shape-wise, you just need to sharpen some features and build up the inside flange edges.

The whole setup works better as a RotJ than a ESB, imo.

Yea, I just found some good shots of the DP face and can see what they did better then before.

Well, I'm not completly dissapointed with it. I've already dissassembled the helmet, but I'll only make significant changes, but not do a complete face surgery with it. Just fix the warped sections, re-build the bridge between the eyes, fix the eyes and re-paint, and add ESB tusks. I think it'll make a great trooping helmet after all of that.

-TC