It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Rubies / Michael Burnett Productions Life-Size Statue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Currently on auction on eBay at the moment. What are people's opinions about this prop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Burnett-Darth-Vader-Life-Size-Star-Wars-Prop_W0QQitemZ330068457993QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73554QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:01 pm 
Random avatar
VERY poorly made.

It should have all the hard parts casted from the Bob Andersson suit, but I really have my doubts. This is also the statue, where the GT parts originated from.
I woulden't spend a single dollar on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:31 pm 

Its ok if you want something thats fairly exclusive but its pretty rubbish really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

LOL... so the general consensus is that it is pretty much like everything else that Rubies offers, Vader-wise? :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 pm 

Well I have one and there are usable parts on it, but everything else is shit.

Useable stuff is the mannequin (less the arms) Believe it or not it is actually DP's measurements.
Chestbox and parts although it is ROTJ tour/ not painted and requires trimming
Faceplate....really nice but ROTJ

Thats about it. The cloth looks to be sewn together by high schoolers, the helmet.....well that speaks for itself
the shoulder and shins are 1/16th inch vacuum form plastic
everything has been affixed using tie wire and screws. The belt is not full and goes into holes cut on the sides held in with what looks like hot glue. When I opened mine, the buckle fell off.

$1000 aint bad.....way better than the (I hate to admit this) $4100 I bought mine for. At least I got it wholesale.

It looks pretty good in person if its in good condition. So If what you're after is a display...it might be something to look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:50 am 

You know, the irony is that even though it was made for Rubie's the facemask doesn't look like the Rubie's.

1. It has the correct paintscheme

2. Mouth walls of triangular area are of the same thickness

3. Nostril is painted in, not a metallic gray piece of plastic shoved in there.

4. Bridge of nose has proper number of ridges, and the forth ridge is a bevel that flows into the bottom line of the eyes

5. The eyes look right

6. The lenses look right, not the cheapie lenses that comes with the Rubie's supreme

7. The triangular chin vent is larger than the Rubies'.

8. No neck flare.

9. Dome looks consistent with ESB/ROTJ in design. Further, it looks thicker than the Rubie's.

10. In the mouth, the five rectangular grills are square-ended, not round-ended like on the Rubie's.

Conclusion

I believe that based on the above 10 observations, what we're looking at is not a Rubie's plastic helmet at all.

Nor do I believe this to be a modification of a Rubie's plastic helmet because I'm in the process of modifying one, using both a combination of heat treatment (to adjust neck flare, the top dome mount, and the overall width of the face) and QuikPlastic to address the thickness of the mouth walls, the bridge of the nose, the eyes, frown, etc., and from having stared at a Rubie's for longer than I want to admit, the photo looks a little more like a Don Post...

... but not quite. I own a Don Post Deluxe (Fiberglass) and its triangular chin vent is smaller than what I see here.

I agree with the comments that it was poorly made. There is various damage and the statue is made for appearances only (e.g. areas that are concealed aren't really worked on, but you get what you pay for).

The helmet does deserve some further attention. Try to contact the seller for bigger shots of the helmet and share them with us for further analysis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:58 am 

No the statue came out in 1995. The mask and helmet here are made of fiberglass. They did a hell of a lot better job than DP.

I dont know what that thing Rubies has out now is??? It is definately not the same helmet. In fact it is way sharper than a DPD and has the ESB-esque mounting system. The dome part is held on by a circular piece of wood with two studs coming out (bondo glued in) and has wing nuts.

This statue is way before that thing they have now. But it is NOT a DPD.

The lenses arent right at all when you get close....too much bubble and they are not even lenses at all. They are vacuum form clear painted with flat black on the back to make it appear glossy black.

The problem with the dome is that with all that flair, you could almost fit another helmet into it. The mannequin is another story, the original add in the rubies catolouge shows an actual leather suit, the suit here is made of rubber and is part of the mannequin. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:18 am 

I had it once and used it as a basis of a better Vader mannequin which is still on display at the Filmmuseum Berlin. The parts that I used were:

- facemask
- chest armour (although I added a thicker fiberglass rim)
- chest box (heavily modified)
- belt boxes, belt buckle
- shin guards (modified)

The rest was indeed rubbish. My then father-in-law actually used the rubber mannequin as a scarecrow in his garden :lol

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin

It's good to see this go for it's true value. They really capitalised on the lack of Vader props out there for 1996/96.

As others have said it's flawed to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:18 pm 
Random avatar

I love how CSMacLaren chimes in whith his 2 cents and always ends with "conclusion" It sounds so much like a computer program or flow chart :)
-Scott

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:39 pm 

Dark Shadow wrote:
I love how CSMacLaren chimes in whith his 2 cents and always ends with "conclusion" It sounds so much like a computer program or flow chart :)
-Scott

Logical, Mr. Scott. Most logical. Live long and proper...

... and may the Schwartz be with you! :toothy

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:41 pm 

Also, now that we've know a little more, the Rubie's statue helmet brings a very refreshing look that looks much better than a lot of the "cast from originals" or "descended from originals" helmets out there.

I think it's the overal shaping which looks more pleasant to me than the GhostHost, Fiberdyne, SithPlanet, etc. helmets.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
Also, now that we've know a little more, the Rubie's statue helmet brings a very refreshing look that looks much better than a lot of the "cast from originals" or "descended from originals" helmets out there.
I think it's the overal shaping which looks more pleasant to me than the GhostHost, Fiberdyne, SithPlanet, etc. helmets.

I think you are confusing the matter. There are two kinds of fan helmets: original style & GH style. Seems you are focusing only on the GH style. Could be wrong, though. And with some of the fan helmets - the Don Posts and the Rubies doesn't even come close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:04 pm 

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand me? I'm saying this Rubie's statue helmet does not strike me as being the GH style, and I kinda like the Rubie's statue helmet.

NoHumorMan wrote:
CSMacLaren wrote:

I think you are confusing the matter. There are two kinds of fan helmets: original style & GH style. Seems you are focusing only on the GH style. Could be wrong, though. And with some of the fan helmets - the Don Posts and the Rubies doesn't even come close.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
Are you sure you didn't misunderstand me? I'm saying this Rubie's statue helmet does not strike me as being the GH style, and I kinda like the Rubie's statue helmet.

No, I don't think I misunderstood you. Why SHOULD it be the GH style?