It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recently found ANH Vader
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:39 pm 

It's a lot smoother on the inside edge where the tooth joins the side of the mouth on the MP. The movie poster mask has the correct tiny bumps there, and although I can make out one of the small ones on the MP, it's not really the same...yes it could be covered by the thick paint, but those little circular bumps are on the original as well....well three of them in particular...the others are unique to the movie poster mask (I'm basing this on higher resolution images of the screen mask, the MP, and other masks).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:20 pm 

If the faceplate was sanded down and repainted, which appears to be the case, then those bumps wouldn't be there anyway. You are failing to see that the curvature of that tooth matches the promo helmet and this MP helmet. The original does not have that curvature to it and, as I already stated, neither does the TD, TM, SL, VP, DJ etc. It may have been a casting flaw since it most likely came from the same SL/DJ molds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:56 pm 

Ok do you mind pointing out which part of the tooth has that curvature and I'll have a look again...do you mean where the tooth meets the side of the mouth triangle?

Edit: I do notice at least one of the little bumps or the semblance of one of them on the MP on that tooth near the top....it comes out better in an overlay. So my guess is that if the paint was removed there we'd see the bumps as they should be, but that's a guess just based on one of the bumps that seem to be in the right place....sorry for being vague maybe I'll try to show that sometime...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:49 pm 

anything new with this one?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 am 

Yes, he put the suit on yourprops.com....

http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=21865

Quote:
Nearly complete costume including original flight case, missing gloves and vest. The helmet is the one used for the ESB teaser poster and the costume or parts there of, have been used in Darth Vader posters of the era. Some believe and there is a strong possibility, that what's left of the suit (pants and arms) maybe the original screen used items. The cod is a prototype, which may predate the one in ANH. The B&N tag on the back has the name Vadder instead of Vader.

Like which other posters? The helmet might be the one used in the poster but the mask is uncertain, but possible.

I thought we concluded that none of the parts were screen-used, let alone original. I am curious whom he is referring to who believes that there is a "strong possibility" that the pants and arms are screen-used? Based on what? And why is it that if someone can't identify something as original they call it a prototype? There weren't any prototype codpieces that have been documented, only inaccurate touring ones...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 am 

Over at the RPF recently Moffeaton posted a link to a hi-res version of the picture used for the ESB teaser poster--or at least one likely taken from the same session. As his title for the pic suggested I made it my desktop on my computer at work. Since I've been staring at it for the last week or so I noticed this crack on the side of the mask:

I check out the pics of the "new" discovery and found this:

Looks pretty close at first glance. What say youz guys?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 am 

Wow Dave, nice work! I just looked at a front view of the MP and it seems to be in the same place as the movie poster mask (my webhost is undergoing maintenance at the moment :banger ). So in spite of the minor differences we've seen on the mask, it does appear to be the one. Alright, but then the rest of the suit is still certainly in question and not even matched to the movie poster suit. The armor and belt are clearly different, and it is hard to tell based on the resolution of the photo provided but the MP chestbox seems to be slightly different in alignment of the red and green buttons as well (but I don't have a good enough photo to be sure). And the capes? We have good enough resolution of the capes of the movie poster suit to tell. The pants? I don't have a photo of the movie poster pants, but I can see enough of the top edge of the cod in the poster to suggest that it's probably not the same one....it might be but then the MP cod should have more wrinkles on the top front edge...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 pm 

I noticed that detail back when I was examining and posting my comps and I believed it was the same faceplate and dome. Trying to get others to see what you see, however; can be an irritating task and hardly worth the trouble at times.

As far as the other parts, it's certainly possible that some parts, like the pants, could be original screen used pants. The routine mentality in the community is; prove me wrong, rather than the burden of proof being on the individual who originally makes the claim. So I guess he and anyone else can claim whatever it is they want with regards to their props. I'm not implying he's wrong, just that to prove it one way or another is very difficult when you are dealing with pics. It takes so much more than just doing a few comps. Either way, it's a very cool setup and it was a pleasure seeing the pics he and Jez shared. If the parts are what he claims them to be, then great for him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:28 pm 

voice in the crowd wrote:
I have been looking at this helmet a bit and I am wondering if anybody else is seeing what I am seeing on the left cheek (left looking onto the faceplate). I am not sure due to angles and the resolution on the pics given but does this new helmet have the same paint run down the left cheek and with it being heavily painted over it has dulled down and slightly widened. The tooth on the left side highlighted is also quite convincing it is the poster helmet possibly modified over time.

Chris

Chris,

I'm not completely convinced the left cheek's vertical line is a physical effect. They are in different positions. However, it might be a reflection of the vertical pole of the lighting umbrella or light source.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm 
Random avatar

In my opinion its definetly the poster helmet inclusive mask.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm 

Ok DK I think I remember you mentioning that....I'll try to post a comp later today when I get home. The only thing that is strange is that the crack is "open" on the MP now whereas it is hard to tell if it is open on the movie poster helmet...you'd think it would be the other way around....open on the movie poster helmet but painted over on the MP (but then of course it seems to have been repainted)...if we have a closer view from the front of the MP mask that would help...the crack if in the identical position is a good indicator for sure and it is always good to have more than one such indicator...but ya certainly you cannot replicate a crack like that so it's probably the one. Yes aside from my own nitpicking it's a great ensemble....certainly a promotional piece is the next best thing to the original if it hasn't been altered too much...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:08 am 

Funny you mention the pants Pete....I was just studying them this week. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 am 
Random avatar

It looks to me as though the crack on the movie poster helmet is much farther back on the tusk tube than the recently found one, unless I am not looking at the right crack....wait, that didn't come out right. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:04 pm 

We need a better front view of the mask to see it...this was the best I could do...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:25 am 
Random avatar

That comparison looks a little better, but still not the same. Now the tube merge looks completely different. I agree it would be great if we were able to match the exact same camera angle and variables.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next