It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: efx vader helmets
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am 
Random avatar

there are some helmets i would like to se whats with a scout ore some droid stuff like ig88 or 4lom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:33 pm 

This is more of a McQuarrie piece than a Star Wars piece. I'm glad they had the balls to do it. I'm also glad that it is being signed by the man himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:51 pm 

BingoBongo275 wrote:
Well I like it - but then I'm biased since I've been giving the guys at efx some help on this helmet. However, I dont think that angle is the most flattering and don't forget thats just a CG model- not a "real" complete fully painted helmet.

IMO its going to be a nice collectible since its the first time someone's done a licensed 1:1 concept helmet - and they should be congratulated for doing something different. I dont know what the run-size is going to be but assuming they do some SE's then I'll ceretainly be getting one.

Downstream I'm sure efx will have their fill of the standard SW helmets - IMO its just refreshing that theyre doing something different.

Oh the their AotC Clone looks superb!

Cheers

Jez

I guess it would be silly to ask if you have an image to share? Other than there cgi file from LFL they have been using to promote it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:41 pm 

I'm going to be frank and blunt here, so my apologies to those who appreciate these new products from eFX, but it's just my opinion. Firstly, and just as a matter of detail, the tusk tubes seem to either curve downward toward the face of the mouth or they are at a different angle from the rear tube section, yet they are straight on the prototype. The crown of the helmet is too small IMHO. Otherwise a nice rendition. I've always loved that painting and that raw mean version of Vader. But, ultimately it's not what we see onscreen and it's not a movie prop replica. It's a nice concept and the idea of an artist's concept line of products is a fine one, but, not surprisingly, I was really hoping they would make an ANH Vader helmet that pays tribute to the artistic contribution of Brian Muir. Yet, there doesn't even seem to be plans for one in the pipeline at this point and with the 30th Anniversary of SW past, what better time to highlight and do justice to the most prominent icon of the SW universe? What better way to make a splash with this new venture? So far I just see a trickle here and there, but no splash. Bringing a concept to reality is a great thing, certainly, but that is what Brian Muir did, that is what the final Vader helmet is. It is what we see on the big screen and what has made movie history and what has defined the greatest sci-fi villian of all time. The McQuarrie helmet and Ahsoka saber and even the clone helmet don't require any reference to an original prop. I'm not sure if they are doing that because it is quicker and easier? But they have full access to the LFL archives. We've seen the original TK helmets that are in the archives, yet they borrow Jason Joiner's? And then make it symmetrical? Maybe, and I just say this with a touch of jovial sarcasm, it's a good thing they haven't tackled an ANH Vader. Their company will be defined to the serious collector by how well they are able to reproduce screen-used props in a screen-accurate fashion. MR became profitable because of the screen-accuracy of their lightsabers and weapons. Even if people use them to troop with, knowing they are precise and faithful reproductions makes a world of difference. As a company that has just recently acquired the license for 1:1 helmets, they are in a position to set a new standard for collectors worldwide. But, perhaps I am being a bit harsh at this point and should wait and see what their other helmets will look like. Admittedly, Ralph McQuarrie is much advanced in years so it is a good opportunity to create this concept helmet now while we still have the opportunity for him to be a part of that. But from a marketing standpoint it begs the question. Maybe I am just a party pooper because I am so partial to the ANH Vader helmet. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
Maybe I am just a party pooper because I am so partial to the ANH Vader helmet. :wink:

Aren't we all? :cheers

The year isn't done yet... and these are just the first reveals of what they have planned. Some companies keep some secrets to be revealed at conventions... so there's still a maybe for surprises. Also... as a fledgling company... I would imagine they'd want to test the waters first before bringing in the big guns. There's a chance for some good stuff... so here's me crossing my fingers. I didn't buy anything from MR as they didn't offer what I wanted... hopefully efx WILL! Bring on the OT helmets! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
The year isn't done yet... and these are just the first reveals of what they have planned. Some companies keep some secrets to be revealed at conventions... so there's still a maybe for surprises. Also... as a fledgling company... I would imagine they'd want to test the waters first before bringing in the big guns. There's a chance for some good stuff... so here's me crossing my fingers. I didn't buy anything from MR as they didn't offer what I wanted... hopefully efx WILL! Bring on the OT helmets! :thumbsup

As a starting-off company, it's important to manage your op-ex and become cash flow positive at the earliest. This is a challenge because, on one hand, they probably do not want to make things that directly compete against MR products that are currently in retail/reseller channels, and on the other hand they don't want to encounter too much resistance from fussy, picky fans too early in the game!

The Ahsoka lightsaber is an interesting approach. People can't debate its accuracy against a real life prop because none exists; it's all 3D. Like the Clone Trooper helmets, if it's accurate, it's accurate to the actual computer 3D file used by LFL. There are commendable diehard lightsaber fans that must collect every possible saber, even of Expanded Universe. Ahsoka is a very new characater made up for this animated 3D series, so the appeal to own a saber associated with so unfamiliar a character at this stage is a gamble. It's design appears enough to keep construction costs low (and anything made overseas like in China will help). Who knows? She might turn out to be the next Mara Jade!

Regarding the McQuarrie Concept Helmet, I applaud the effort, the attention to detail of the 3D rendering, and the fact that it will have McQuarrie attached to it. On Jez' site, there is a "Canadian Concept Vader" that I find is less cartoony and more realistic looking. I think I would have preferred a more real-world treatment. This will appeal to hardcore collectors who have to have one of each helmet in their collection, but I feel it's a gamble to expect this to appeal to the mainstream.

What does appeal to the mainstream is the Stormtrooper helmet. Being that this is an improvement over the MR, it can be argued that it's not identical. It's an immediately recognizable icon of the Star Wars franchise regardless of whether you are a fan of the original trilogy, prequels, etc. and I feel it's the least speculative of the three. As one who didn't invest in the MR version, the improvements have me giving more serious observation of this iteration. eFX could not do a proper company launch without a recognizable "legacy Star Wars" product. The Stormtrooper fits that bill easily.

I think the Stormtrooper helmet - which is currently available whereas the other two are "Coming Soon" - is to help eFx gain some revenues, since the manufacturing process of that helmet is already in place and just needed a few tweaks here and there. I believe the eFx team was MR's former SW products development team, so they may have retained the same relationships with manufacturers in China. Having some short-term operational cash allows them to devote some more time towards their other products that need to be developed from the ground up.

They are a new company that's developing its wings. Lightsabers are more a machine-fabrication process whereas helmets are more fiberglass casting. They're essentially two different processes and a good way to start building some momentum and confidence as a new company.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 pm 

Like others have said a OT Vader would have been beter,this lid looks cool but it aint the vader we know and love,
maybe in the future they will offer a vader lid that is the same quality but screen accurate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 pm 

If they offer a much more accurate version of the Red Guard helmet than the one Don Post Studios came up with, that would turn heads. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:46 pm 

Interesting thread. My comments are:

1) I too would love efx to do an ANH Vader helmet and IMO they will do one. In fact I was pushing the same guys at MR to do an ANH and quite simply if you do the merchandising maths - theres a huge incentive there. I remember DP saying that they always sold twice as many Vades as any other character.

2) I think the opportunity of the RMQ came along which is why they went that way. At the end of the day there's been a lot of people inputting into something that only really existed in a few drawings so there's always going to be a compromise (I too agree over the tusk slant) but Ralph himself was involved at the latter stages and ok'd the final design and thats good enough for me. I personally LOVE the Canadian RMQ which is why its currently the SW banner.

3) I cant wait to see the first produciton pics of the prototype RMQ Vader but am not expecting this until the fall sometime. I'll be continung to push the eFX guys to get hold of it for a preview - theyve been great in the past so hopefully will be again. There's an embargo on the CG pics until after SDCC although I did sneak a little one onto the new EFX page on my site. The CG photo shown above seems to have Vader below the camera eye-line and looking up. The best pics of Vader have him higher than the camera looking down. Placement and lighting is absolutely vital to get the right effect.

4) As far as I'm concerned the eFX trooper IS the MR trooper - since the differences are so insignificant. I only sold my MR as the eFX I got was an Artist Proof - my first! Ultimately eFX realised that they could fulfil on MR's shortfall, make some quick revenue and help the fans out in one quick run which is why they went for it. Everybody wins!

5) I personally am really pleased theyre doing the AotC Clone since IMO no ones ever cracked this helmet. Im not generally into the new trilogy stuff but the Ep2 Clone is one helmet I dont have and really want. Given it will have the same great finish that the Ep3 Clone I think it really will be superb and will sit nicely in a Ep2-Ep3-Ep4 evolution.

6) I dont know too much of eFX's product plans but hope that they'll be concentrating more on the OT stuff. I agree there are a lot of great helmets in Rotj and could name the Stormtrooper, Biker Scout, ERG and Boussh as high on my list. Looking at ANH I have a feeling the XWing pilot helmet is going to be high on their list - think of the "specials" they could do!

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:18 am 
Site Admin

I prefer the version JRX did, but this is looking very cool!

More images, plus some other cool stuff at rebelscum,
http://www.rebelscum.com/SDCC08/eFX/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 am 

WOW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 am 
Random avatar

Looks better as on the first pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Holy hell... that looks smooth... :eek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm 

Very very nice indeed, they've done a good job on the concept Vader :salut

But I'm still an OT man so I'll save my money until then :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:46 pm 

Darth Fetty wrote:
More images, plus some other cool stuff at rebelscum,
http://www.rebelscum.com/SDCC08/eFX/

Not my cup of tea, but I'd still have to say it looks pretty amazing. The detail is quite stunning. And it certainly has a great deal of menace to it! :thumbsup

- Mac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next