It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

What sewing room? :eek

Post subject: Re: ANH cape consensus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 pm 

I've got Maia's cape and robe set and absolutely love it!! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:36 pm 

Maia wrote:
Thanks for the pic. :cool:

It's actually fairly easy to determine cloak size from how it drapes across the back. A friend of mine did her thesis on medieval art and was able to reconstruct the clothing based partially on the draping which was shown in paintings. I went looking for my copy of her work, but it is ... somewhere in a box I haven't unpacked yet. :lol You will have to settle for what I pulled out of the closet and took pics of a few minutes ago instead of her nice photos. : waves hand: You do not see the messy sewing room!

The green cloak is 180 degrees in 4 panels. The black one is my ROTJ trooping cloak and is 270 degrees in 6 panels. Number of panels really doesn't matter - how full the cloak is determines how it falls. As you can see the ANH cloak is closest to the 180 draping.

Maia

ImageImage

Vadermonkey wrote:

that is impressive info!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Vader Cape Patterns
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I apologize for the confusion, but I decided to merge a few threads revolving around the capes, so the info would be easier to find. :thumbsup

Post subject: Re: Vader Cape Patterns
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:55 am 

Yo! Was gonna say - I'm the one who took that picture of the neck on the cape against that sci-fi panel consol - just want to add that I laid that particular cape out on the floor and it was a perfect half circle/ 180 degrees...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Sweet... thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:35 pm 

darthjones wrote:
Yo! Was gonna say - I'm the one who took that picture of the neck on the cape against that sci-fi panel consol - just want to add that I laid that particular cape out on the floor and it was a perfect half circle/ 180 degrees...

That's cool DJ, can you tell us more about it? It doesn't appear to be wool, (or is it?)

Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:25 am 

Hey, guys - I think the dude said it was wool but it has that kind of "gaberdene" (however you spell it) weave. It was pretty darn heavy too.

I suspect it is the "No disintegrations" cape cuz thats the only one where we see that yoke thing from behind I think.

They also had the tunic there, same material.

Had the hooks inside the leather to which a plastic chain could be attached.

They tell me it was sold as an ANH cape because if it was ESB/ ROTJ than LFL owned it.

But I think its ESB from that yoke shot with Fett - just a guess.

Other capes at LFL had a wider weave and were slightly "fuzzier" - definitely more sterotypically wool on those.

But I have laid out two LFL capes on the floor. This one was a half circle and the other one was just over a half circle - like 200 degrees (a guess) instead of 180.

I think there's even a more full one than that but never got to do that one

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 am 

Maia wrote:
LOL. I guess some of you guys aren't in the 501st. I think some of what I do has been posted up on the main boards. I am a Professor in a regional college.

I started sewing when I was 4, made my first costume when I was 8. My grandmother was a seamstress and started teaching me when I was very small. She was a stern task master, too. Any wrong stitches would get ripped out and redone. I think my perfectionist streak comes from that.

My great uncle was an archaeologist as well as having a very prominent diplomatic career. When I was a kid, he always had some story to tell when visiting us. He used to go deep sea fishing with Hemingway. Anyway. As a teenager, I spent my summers on archaeological sites in central America. I don't much care for tarantulas, fire ants or other exotic bugs after those experiences. It did prompt me to go into archaeology as an academic career.

My first PhD is in archaeology, but the subject was more an archaeometric one than pure archaology in the strictest sense. My thesis involved the analysis of minerals in ancient Egyptian stone vessels with the purpose of determining where the rock came from. I had to develop the micro-analytical techniques myself. Similar methods can be used on other minerals, metals, etc, so I soon found myself in demand as an expert for authenticating artefacts. I have worked on collections in the Met, Boston MFA, British Museum, Ashmolean, FitzWillaim, etc. When the ROM became part of a three museum collaborative effort on an exhibit in 1998, I was asked to work on the clothing end of that given my background. Since then, other museums and a few private collectors have done the same.

I have also worked on sourcing geological materials (gold, diamonds, Lunar and Martian meteorites) but those projects are confidential, and some of the analytical techniques are proprietary.

Maia

Bloody hell, what are you doing hangin' around with a bunch of Star Wars nerds like us? You're WAY over-qualified :)

But seriously, it's great to have such expertise in our midst :)

Cheers,
Alan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:34 am 

Quote:
Hey, guys - I think the dude said it was wool but it has that kind of "gaberdene" (however you spell it) weave. It was pretty darn heavy too.

I suspect it is the "No disintegrations" cape cuz thats the only one where we see that yoke thing from behind I think.

They tell me it was sold as an ANH cape because if it was ESB/ ROTJ than LFL owned it.

Other capes at LFL had a wider weave and were slightly "fuzzier" - definitely more sterotypically wool on those.

But I have laid out two LFL capes on the floor. This one was a half circle and the other one was just over a half circle - like 200 degrees (a guess) instead of 180.

PIH sold that cape set as an ANH set bought by Paul Allen.

It is ESB exactly as DJ describes it and is seen in the first Vader dialogue scene, with the bounty hunters and all through the stunt sequence. I believe it (cape only) was also used in Jedi for the reveal sequence with Sebastian Shaw.

How cool that you took the console pic.... :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Yep I agree.

It is more consistent for the Hero look to Not have the Yoke , But if you are sad enough to Time the Yoke vs the Non-Yoke due to the stunt scenes it shows the Yoke to feature more. Again it is not as consistent for the Hero set up though.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:36 pm 

Amazing thread, hopefully i will be able to get one made.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:10 pm 

I agree with you Paul....hero=no yoke

I was not timing anything though, just merely mentioning where I've seen that cape in the movie. Wasnt suggesting one is better than the other.

Plus, werent Bob Anderson and Dave Prowse both costumed for some of the carbon chamber shots? I thought I saw a pic somewhere of them both in costume on set at one point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah thats true Mike...

Oh and yeah my post was not to say any thing other than I agree with you and that I was sad enough to time the scenes :wink:

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 pm 

:lol I may have gone frame by frame a time or two.... :toothy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next