It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Effect of Replicas on Original Stormtrooper Helmet - Discuss
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 am 

Does the huge volume of TE replica helmets affect the value of the original helmets?
Personally I don't think so, but would like to hear peoples thoughts....

Joe

Post subject: Re: Effect of Replicas on Original Stormtrooper Helmet - Discuss
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 am 
Site Admin

I can't see why they should. On joe public it really doesn't matter, as they'll probably never be able to afford a real deal helmet. However, owning a replica may keep those from actually taking out a loan to buy an original. Though... those who have the money and want the original, well... regardless of replicas being available or not... it wouldn't really have any impact on the price of the original. it's like saying that The Mona Lisa devalues because of all the posters and inspired paintings... and no, I do not consider original Stormtrooper helmets to be The Mona Lisa, but then again; yes I am, in terms of the original not losing value due to replicas.

At least that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:47 pm 

My view it doesnt reduce the cost of the original, in fact it can inflate it since the increased awareness of the hobby has I'm sure led to many people wanting to "upgrade" form replica to original. I know I am very tempted!

IMO the biggest issue for original props are the countless replicas who's owners have almost convinced themselves that they're either original, or close-descendants of originals "I have it on absolute authority from a friend of my mum's uncle's next-door-neighbour who worked at Elstree in 70's that this Stormtrooper helmet was used as the stunt double for the trooper who bangs his head against the death star door."

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys.
I totally agree.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:33 pm 
Random avatar

Original screen-used helmets will only go up in value. Now, if I could just find an extra 80k around here somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am 

No effect at all it's not like original helmets are about in abundance.
They are a rarity and no amount of replicas will change that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with the others. However Some Private Collectors can have a different viewpoint. They often do not want their product to be photographed etc..from the fear as replicas being passed off as original items which someone has already kinda been brought up.

Are you thinking of selling yours Joe? :wink:

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:09 am 

They are 2 different animals. A replica helmet has never yet matched the real thing and certainly cant take aways it's value. The TE/gino and all the others come from the one real helmet that was moulded but none of them have taken the place of a real helmet in collector's hearts.
Many wish that another helmet will be moulded someday to further satisfy collectors but even if that does happen (I hope it will) the real helmets wont be diminished in any way. Its only up in value from here on out.... :as2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 am 

I dont think that replicas will lower the originals value. Fandom and time may take its toll however. I cant really remember Star Wars all that much between 1983 and 1998.... After the films came out and interest skyrocketed (mine included) many real props emerged and became sought after. I seem to recall a certain ESB helmet was used as a child's toy before the owner realized that it was suddenly worth a crap load of money just within the last 10 years. :) I think (really) that the value will go back down if Star Wars is allowed to fade away a little.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 pm 

The issue for me is that replicas are getting more and more accurate as time passes. One could quite easily pass as an original, particularly with the poor research and authenticfication that is carried out by some of the larger auction houses.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:15 pm 

Well I am not sure about this but I have heard that there is a dead give away on the inside of the helmets that lets you know its legit. Not sure what in the heck that could be but.....

Also, anything that is real isnt going to be auctioned off by some two bit joint. I would think, and hope that real items would be auctioned off by say Christies or other reputable auction houses.

Finally most real props come with lineage and COA's. Anyone buying stuff from Craigslist or Ebay should know better than and think twice before buying.

I know for me.... The closest I would ever want to get is a replica. $20,000 for an old movie prop of any kind is just not worth it to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Some items by the premier auction houses have made errors, which is a surprise for sure.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:16 pm 
Random avatar

Midnight Trooper wrote:
Many wish that another helmet will be moulded someday to further satisfy collectors but even if that does happen (I hope it will) the real helmets wont be diminished in any way.
Its only up in value from here on out.... :as2

Midnight trooper believe me other trooper helmets have been moulded in the past ANH/ESB and ROTJ they just aren't as readily available as the casts we all know about.

On topic - Joe there is no way replicas make a difference in price to real helmets. There are more and more replicas in the hands of fans than ever but screen used props still gain in value by the day.

Cheers Chris