It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ROTJ Trooper helmets - new info required...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 am 

I'm aware of the other ROTJ thread - it did go a little south unfortunately,
I wanted an argument free, fresh thread.
What I'm interested in are the materials used in their construction - Styrene or ABS?

Are there any cosmetic differences bar the lenses on the background or hero?

Are the background helmets more 'squashed' than the heroes?

More than one mould?

Thanks folks -

Anson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 am 
Random avatar

I believe the suits were all (0.060?) ABS. The background helmets aswell as the hero's were all made at Elstree studios, at the same time.. So most likely one mould was used. I don't see why they would need two. I think they varied due to the assembly.. just like the ANH lids.

Hope that helps some mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 am 

Anson

All the helmets I know of were ABS, no styrene. The only differences I have noticed are cosmetic, ie painting of the frown (square end vs rounded end) and flat green lense vs green bubble.

Looking at mine and comparing with screencaps I don't believe there were two moulds.

The decals are much more 'papery' than todays decals, the quality was not great at all.

All the background helmets I have seen have recast ANH/ESB Hovi mic tips as opposed to the larger location style mic tips.

Mine was glued, no rivets, Troopermaster has seen helmets that were riveted together.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:17 pm 

Forgot to mention another cosmetic difference, the background helmets don't have hard hat liners. This was the replacement petal foam liner in my helmet, it was exactly the same shape as the original piece:

This is the interior of a stunt helmet (pic courtesy of TM, although I think it originates from TE)

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 pm 
Random avatar
That pic is from Matts' Yahoo site. It looks to be riveted together and also has a rivet holding the chin strap in place. The liner is glued in and the eyes seem to be held in place with hot glue.

Matt may be generous enough to fill us in on the details, and maybe a pic or two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 am 
Random avatar
The suits are all .060 and I gfound around 45 of them left in the archives along with helmets. EVERY single helmet had a liner, also had the rivets and chin straps. Some had flat lenses but most had bubbled ones. I also found armor that was formed for, but not used in the production, about 4 suits in total... body parts, not helmets.

I have seen and was offered the original ROTJ faceplate molds. There are two faces on the mold. They sit facing each other with what I call a presto log in between them, chin to chin.

The mold I was offered back in 1998 was $6500.00. I balked and stupidly at that. I should have bought it and tucked it away. Live and learn. I had pics and one of my buddies still does. I will do what I can to get the photo from him.

T*E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:50 am 

That is interesting Matt, none of these UK background helmets have rivets, there is something odd about them...possibly not film used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 am 
Random avatar
T*E wrote:
There are two faces on the mold.
T*E

That's interesting.

I have pics of a mould like that, but it's of an ANH and modified. It looks like a hero face and the bottom under the chin looks like what AA is producing now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:38 am 
Random avatar

Hey Paul, I know the moulds your talking about. I believe those were from the JJ helmet (The 'restored' one) that was auctioned off recently. They obviously modified it to be easier on the removal of the formed faceplate, but it is the same. I agree its very similar to the hero aswell. Perhaps the JJ was made later on in the run when the mould had been altered/repaired? Thats my theory...

That sound incredibly interesting Matt! I'd love to see the mould your talking about!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 am 

There are casts of that JJ helmet floating around, and it was the one that the new Master Replcia helmets are based on.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 pm 

T*E wrote:
The suits are all .060 and I gfound around 45 of them left in the archives along with helmets. EVERY single helmet had a liner, also had the rivets and chin straps. Some had flat lenses but most had bubbled ones. I also found armor that was formed for, but not used in the production, about 4 suits in total... body parts, not helmets.

I have seen and was offered the original ROTJ faceplate molds. There are two faces on the mold. They sit facing each other with what I call a presto log in between them, chin to chin.

The mold I was offered back in 1998 was $6500.00. I balked and stupidly at that. I should have bought it and tucked it away. Live and learn. I had pics and one of my buddies still does. I will do what I can to get the photo from him.

T*E

That's very interesting info, thanks for sharing Matt. I'm suprised that so many troopers survived from the original filming.

Did you see any Biker Scouts or Snowtroopers? how many of those guys are left in the archives?

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:36 pm 
Random avatar

fon wrote:
Hey Paul, I know the moulds your talking about. I believe those were from the JJ helmet (The 'restored' one) that was auctioned off recently.

I am not sure that is the case. The castings taken of the JJ helmet in the mid nineties for a promotion were made as a one piece fibreglass helmet not a vac formed helmet. The moulds taken of the JJ helmet did not have two faces and would be a female mould not a male vac forming buck.

Some of the fibreglass helmets have been sold by the Joiner / Kurtz archive through Profiles in History.

The mould taken of JJs helmet still exists and is in the hands of a friend of mine. There aren't too many copies of it floating about as far as I know. I am still waiting on mine but my friend who has the mould is too busy making me a Genesis Dalek :toothy

This isn't to say somebody didn't make moulds from one of the helmets Profiles in History sold but if they did then it changed a large amount.

I always thought the double faced mould that was on Ebay and discussed to death was just a recast of a TE that had been modified.

Anybody still got pics of it? I lost mine.

Cheers Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 pm 
Random avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm 

They look pretty sharp but I don't think they are original moulds, maybe 2nd generation?

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:55 pm 
Random avatar

Yup that is the mould :)

I don't think it is JJs helmet

Thanks for posting the pic Paul

Cheers Chris