It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 am 
Random avatar
gino is a moron with his 'most accurate' helmet made BS. He is using styrene... none were made in that material. He used .093 until he asked me if his helmets were accurate. I said no, way too thick, originals were a lot thinner. It shows how stupid he is because his 800 helmets are too thin to wearand funny thing, I did some helmets in .060 styrene and they are bullit proof. Soo, too thin to wear? I would buy his inaccurate and stolen POS if you lent me the money.

Why does he use epoxy on the inside? the originals never had that... Hmm... accurate huh? LOL.. he is nothing more than a little wanna be.. and a thief to boot.

So yes, the molds can do that with overuse and overheating. making 50+ helmets as fast as you can has away of doing that. The first helmets made were the sandtrooper ones.. they dont have bumps, so logic points in this direction. I am not saying this is carved in stone, it just makes sense.

Now, yes, I found smooth cap and backs in the archives as well and the SFS helmet had a smooth cap and back too. I have seen more smooth helmets than bumpy ones.. Remember the fire at SDS/Shepperton? Well.. that could have casued extreme heat and caused that too. We will never know the real reason as AA cant stop lying to save himself.

So there it is...

T*E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin

T*E, though your input is appreciated, your personal attacks on other people is not. The animosity you hold towards some people, justified as they may be, should not be flaunted on a public forum in such a way. You are free to have your say, as all members do, but please try to do without the insulting language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am 

Thanks for the info Matt, I really just wanted you to be aware Gino might be doing a run. Mission accomplished!

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:03 am 
Random avatar
NoHumorMan wrote:
T*E, though your input is appreciated, your personal attacks on other people is not. The animosity you hold towards some people, justified as they may be, should not be flaunted on a public forum in such a way. You are free to have your say, as all members do, but please try to do without the insulting language.

Well he should have been banned when he admitted he ruined my master molds on purpose, this is just icing on the cake. People have a right to know and yes I am abrasive. You should meet me in person!

I could really care less about ginos run of his items. People have a right to know he is misleading and all I am doing is education.

Noted, and I will try to play nice. Try is the key word here

T*E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 am 

Didn't know the bumps were due to poor mould making.
Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm 

You thought they were intentional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:59 pm 

T*E wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:

Well he should have been banned when he admitted he ruined my master molds on purpose, this is just icing on the cake. People have a right to know and yes I am abrasive. You should meet me in person!

I could really care less about ginos run of his items. People have a right to know he is misleading and all I am doing is education.

Noted, and I will try to play nice. Try is the key word here

T*E

T*E,

I'm sure you'll do well. You'd be surprised how much we'd love to just read factual information on props and how long we've waited for alternate views than what we've known so far. I think you could make an important difference in this regard. :wink:

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Wow, this is good information. If what TE says is in fact accurate, that means that the initial helmets were smooth capped, and the latter ones were bumpy due to overheating of the mold.

Then, in light of this information, all this propaganda we've been told that someone's helmet is more accurate than everyone else's because of bumpy caps accurately reproduced is just loony.

If one choses to reproduce bumps, that is fine. But it makes it no more superior or accurate than a smooth cap since both were screen-used.

This is what I've been saying for a long time. I rmember countless arguments in the past over bumps and having handled many original helmets my position has always been the same

Some have bumps and some don't. AA admitted that in order to get the last of the helmets done in 1976 he had to rush them. This has nothing to do with fires but of pushing the mould too far and not letting it cool down between pulls.

Thats why some helmets have bumps (the latter ones) and others dont. In addition some other things came into play

1) The Stunt helmets were the first AA made (of any helmets) so he was less concerned with finish. Hence when he made the "quality/close up hemets" (i.e. the Hero's) he went back to the moulds and cleaned them up

2) Because the HDPE helmets were made using his 2nd vac forming machine (the ones used to make the ponds) there was a lot of crap around from the bits of ruck used to make the organic pond designs, hence the chance of contamination was increased

So IMO it was overuse of a mould that was made for a few crappy sci-fi helmets combined with some contamination. Since there was no payment up front, AA sent everything out - warts and all.

Regarding Gino's helmets, my personal preference would always be to have a clean version over a bumpy. Irrespective of his position on this forum (or lack thereof) I'd still have to say that they are probably the most accurate replica (to the eye) I've ever seen.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 pm 

clutch wrote:
You thought they were intentional?

Don't be silly, Clutch.

I thought it was dust and crap and the surface of the buck.
I have a vacuum forming machine in work - even slight contamination can cause lots of surface bumps.

What TE has said explains why the bumps are in the same areas from helmet to helmet - you obviously wouldn't get this with dust.

Cool info - thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:13 am 

:blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:17 pm 
Random avatar

T*E wrote:
The first helmets made were the sandtrooper ones.. they dont have bumps, so logic points in this direction. I am not saying this is carved in stone, it just makes sense.

I had a look at high resolution pics of the 'stop that ship blast em' and 'move along' helmets and what a difference even between those two.

The 'stop that ship' is super bumpy and the 'move along' is pretty smooth just shows you :)

Great info I had always thought all the stunts were bumpy..... Not anymore :)

Cheers Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:12 pm 

Well, I always wondered about the difference on the bumpy and smooth caps as to which was "Accurate." But, as the people here who have had the priviledge of seeing and handling the real props themselves. Each prop has it's own unique properties. Which means now we need as smooth cap and a bumpy cap to cover the bases.

Seriouly, thanks for sharing all the info regarding the helmets.

501st Legion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:56 pm 

voice in the crowd wrote:
I had a look at high resolution pics of the 'stop that ship blast em' and 'move along' helmets and what a difference even between those two.

The 'stop that ship' is super bumpy and the 'move along' is pretty smooth just shows you :)

Great info I had always thought all the stunts were bumpy..... Not anymore :)

Cheers Chris

Thats right. The fact is that 50 or so helmets were made and 12 were taken to Tunisia. Its not like they made Sandtroopers then Stormtroopers. It just depended on which ones were taken from the pile.

In addition, because everything was truly hand made, each helmet was unique. Each square of HDPE was heated for approximately the same mount of time - and then blown and pulled over the buck. However the more they made in one sitting, the hotter the buck (and the oven) became which again added differences. Plus the vac-former was a bit heath-robinson driven by a very dodgy 3-phase compressor (using a power taken from several questionable sources) so I bet the level of suction changed significantly. All this added random variations.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:22 am 

Arrived in the post this week!!

Was lucky enough to get this....and it is a BEAUTIFUL helmet!! :toothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:02 am 

I was the next highest bidder on that! I forgot log back in for a last bid, you got a bargain there, even if the maker is a d*ck!!!! :lol