It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 pm 

Jodi wrote:
Hi Brian, can you tell me if the chest armour of Vader was the first thing that existed, or the mask and Helmet? The other question: have you ever been a SF fan before you made your SW jobs? I want to admit is that i thank you for the joy you brought me, (i´m was not thinking about to make PR for you) Just kidding: On the other hand I should be angry with you, because of the time your Vader stole me when i was sculpting him from 1987 till 1998 nearly every day as a 9 inch Stop Motion figure nearly every day, later at least one time a week. Later i were several, and then all the all the lifesize Vaderstuff... :-) You see: big joy... :-) Best reagrds, Jörg

Hi Jodi,

I did the mask and helmet first and then the chest armour and shin guards afterwards.

I wasn't a particular fan of SF before Star Wars but I did enjoy the films very much as they were so different and clever for their time.

So did you make the film with your 9in Darth Vader in the style of Ray Harrihausen (stop frame animation)?

all the best

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:48 pm 

chefhawk wrote:
Wow this is an amazing piece of history. Wouldnt it be really cool if one of the
vader makers here presented a helmet to brian to display in his house.

Brian Its really good to see you join us fans on this forum.

Its the creative people like your good self, that made star wars what it is.

You are a LEGEND.

cheers Brian

I love all these compliments - keep 'em coming! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:04 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
Brian, was the asymmetry of vader's face something that was deliberate or a direct result of the molding and casting process? Were you present during the molding and casting of vader? What was your initial reaction once you saw the first cast and was there anymore modifications made once vader was cast? From what you've been saying, once you sculpted vader and the plaster cast was made, all modifications were made on that plaster cast, correct?

When you were sculpting vader, did you at that time think he was going to become something special or was it just another "job" for you?

Also, I know this is a bit OT for this thread, but how about a trooper thread discussing how you went about sculpting the trooper armor? I'm sure the trooper guys here would enjoy that.

Thanks.

There weren't any modifications in the plaster - I just sharpened the lines.

At the time it was an unusual sculpt and film to be working on but George Lucas obviously knew what he was doing :wink:

As you will see on the newly started Trooper Armour thread I'm not able to say anything about the Stormtrooper armour etc until the court case is over.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

vaderman wrote:

Haha, guess I'll add my own. :wink:

Thank you sir... I don't know if you can imagine all the great and pleasant memories as a kid (hehe, and adult) your Vader has given me.

It's quite awesome to see you here. Hope you're enjoying it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 pm 

Darth Fetty wrote:
vaderman wrote:

Haha, guess I'll add my own. :wink:

Thank you sir... I don't know if you can imagine all the great and pleasant memories as a kid (hehe, and adult) your Vader has given me.

It's quite awesome to see you here. Hope you're enjoying it. :)

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 am 

Brian,
As stated by many already on this forum. Thank you so very much for for taking the time to share your personal knowledge and experience creating our beloved Vader.

If I could make it to the UK, I'd gladly buy you several pints. :cheers

501st Legion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 am 

Vader1 wrote:
Brian,
As stated by many already on this forum. Thank you so very much for for taking the time to share your personal knowledge and experience creating our beloved Vader.

If I could make it to the UK, I'd gladly buy you several pints. :cheers

Thanks Gary - actually I'll be in Florida soaking up the sunshine for the month of May so.............................? :lol

:cheers

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:11 am 
Random avatar
vaderman wrote:
Jodi wrote:
Hi Brian, can you tell me if the chest armour of Vader was the first thing that existed, or the mask and Helmet? The other question: have you ever been a SF fan before you made your SW jobs? I want to admit is that i thank you for the joy you brought me, (i´m was not thinking about to make PR for you) Just kidding: On the other hand I should be angry with you, because of the time your Vader stole me when i was sculpting him from 1987 till 1998 nearly every day as a 9 inch Stop Motion figure nearly every day, later at least one time a week. Later i were several, and then all the all the lifesize Vaderstuff... :-) You see: big joy... :-) Best reagards and a nice sunday, Jörg

Hi Jodi,

I did the mask and helmet first and then the chest armour and shin guards afterwards.

I wasn't a particular fan of SF before Star Wars but I did enjoy the films very much as they were so different and clever for their time.

So did you make the film with your 9in Darth Vader in the style of Ray Harrihausen (stop frame animation)?

all the best

Brian

Hi Brian,

thank you for your answer!

Yes I did it mor a 70 minutes Harryhausen Stop motion movie on which me and 4 other guys work over 5 years (1991-1996) and we have the german original Darth Vader voice in in -Heinz Petruo) I called the movie: Spielball der Mächte, which will mean something like Interplay of powers. I made 300 Star wars puppets for it including a ANH and an ESB Vader. The Story was after ANH and bevor ESB. I had much publicity in that time with it and was in TV, Radio and newspaper. We had shown it in 3 cinemas before the premiere of Episode 1 as special fan broadcast. BR Jörg :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:33 am 

Hi Brian,

If you get a chance, I've started a thread on C-3PO which we'd love to hear your views on

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/viewtop ... 8481#28481

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:16 pm 

Hi Jodi,

Wow - that sounds like a lot of time and effort spent on your production. It would be good to see it :cool:

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:23 pm 

BingoBongo275 wrote:
Hi Brian,

If you get a chance, I've started a thread on C-3PO which we'd love to hear your views on

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/viewtop ... 8481#28481

Cheers

Jez

Okay Jez - I'll answer the questions on the other thread

All the best

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 am 
Random avatar
vaderman wrote:
Hi Jodi,

Wow - that sounds like a lot of time and effort spent on your production. It would be good to see it :cool:

Brian

I appreciate it a lot. You could pm me, and i will send you a DVD of the movie and it´s making of, a CD of it´s soundtrack, plus another DVD with thousands of Making of and Figures Photos of my movie.

Enjoy your holidays,

Jörg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:26 am 

darthvaderv wrote:
VEGAS VADER wrote:
hello Brian. would you happen to know about the way the helmets and masks where painted? where the clearcoated or buffed out too a fine shine?

I will answer this one. As I doubt many know. ANH is obviously Gloss black and dulling spray was used.

Any helmet in the OT is not clearcoated in the term we know it today. The paint IMO is from a UK manufacturer and Lacquer exsisted. If you look very closely you can see orange peel and many other imperfections on ESB in particular. 2 domes have been clarified as having this lacquer for sure, one of them is the PA stunt, the other one is a Hero Dome.

Gino mentioned clearcoat/lacquer was never used at any time throughout the OT..Not true. Most of The ESB faces were Lacqured for starters, let alone the domes.

Do not confuse the very nice wet sanded method of a clearcoated SPFX or JB as a comparison as it is not exactly the same, although nowadays it is a close look in some respects. Additionally the paint I believe that was used not only is it discontinued it is harsh to work with.

Vadermonkey has personally exaimed the ESB stunt, took many reference pictures etc..and I have seen them, there is a coat on it hands down.

Lights play tricks, so does the camera but ANH is simply not the same finish as ESB, in some respects that goes for ROTJ additionally.

If you wanted to achieve a very close look, you CAN do a nice gloss black dependant on the brand and polish or wet sand a Gloss black finish, use compound etc..or you can go the clearcoat route, wetsanding again is a good option. The 2 finishes if done correctly will actually be quite similar like the 2 fanmade finishes I mention above.

thank you Paul

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:05 pm 

Hey Brian.

I feel like I'm the last one to say hi!

So ...........hi.

As I sit here with my Vader looking over my shoulder, I would like to say you have made many people happy.

Me in particular :lol .

It has been very interesting to read your replys to the guys questions.I hope you have many more stories to tell as I am eager to listen.
It's a bit like when the supanova was in Brisbane in 2003 and my mate Greg was working on a friends stall.On the saturday night the where leaving and David Prowse was waiting for a taxi.They asked to take him out for dinner and he went. He told them many stories from when they were on location.They haven't had anyone as interesting as him since.
Maybe you should come out for the 2009 one in Brisbane .
I know that there is a few of us here on the Gold Coast that would love to show you around and buy you a few pints of larger. :cheers

There could be some great stories to be told :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:08 pm 

Jodi wrote:
vaderman wrote:
Hi Jodi,

Brian

I appreciate it a lot. You could pm me, and i will send you a DVD of the movie and it´s making of, a CD of it´s soundtrack, plus another DVD with thousands of Making of and Figures Photos of my movie.

Enjoy your holidays,

Jörg

Thanks Jodi, I'll look forward to it. I'll do my best to enjoy the warm,sunny Florida weather :cool:

Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next