It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 pm 

Brian,

Please pardon the question if it was asked before, but what happened to the clay original that you had worked on -- after the mold was taken? Could you elaborate on that period of time?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:53 pm 

Wow, what a cool thread this is!

A tidbit about the concept Vader above with the lightsaber. Myself, I am acquainted with Joe Johnston who told me a tale of woe - this suit was made here in CA at ILM and obviously never used in any capacity other than conceptual.

Joe tells me this though - the suit had glam boots on the bottom for height or whatever - like Ziggy Stardust boots if you can picture it!!! And not only that, Joe had the suit in his possession until a friend asked to borrow it for Halloween one year.

Bad idea since the suit was essentially destroyed via "Halloween" and Joe threw it in the trash!!!!! AAAAGGGHHH!!!!

But that story is from the horse's mouth and Joe said that he is the one in the photograph wearing the dang thing too.

Beyond that, I suspect that one of the ESB or ROTJ hero helmets was out of that original mold and cannibalized into its refined form. Just a suspicion...

And pints?! Right now I could use a gallon of whatever y'all are drinking. I intend to attempt something next to such a feat later this evening after the last couple days at work...

:pale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

darthjones wrote:
Beyond that, I suspect that one of the ESB or ROTJ hero helmets was out of that original mold and cannibalized into its refined form. Just a suspicion...

:pale

John you dont mean out of the same mold as the concept do you? That's how it reads to me? Naturally the ESB's came from one of the ANH helmets, and I strongly believe two ESB's were turned into ROTJ.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 pm 

Hi Brian,

Do you by any chance have an idea of what the tusks on the mask were actually made from? That ones been nagging me for ever. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 pm 

I have to disagree with SL on this. If I could take the time I am positive I could match the odd distortions in the pic to a screen-accurate mask, not to mention the landmarks. I have a bunch of different angles of this piece somewhere... I wish I could find them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 am 

As much as I admire your knowledge and experience, and yes we disagree :fight , and I can show what is wrong with it....and again it's not the same neck as the original sculpture so it can't be derived directly from it. The forehead curvature is too steep, the crown curvature is too rounded, the eyebrow curvatures are not right (sigmoid in shape toward the outer edge of the eye), the seam is actually more forward than it should be (checked again), the noseslots are not deep enough. I know you can rotate it so that the forehead/eyebrow curvature looks close, but then the mouth area is not lined up properly...and it wasn't photographed far away...not to mention Prowse' head would not be that small behind the ears...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:44 am 

As I mentioned in another thread I spoke with Brian briefly last year at CE...hello again Brian.I am sure you probably dont remember me as we only spoke very briefly but what was rather funny was the bemused look you gave me when I asked about the tusks!Not many people walking up to you that day asking about them I imagine.... :lol Was very interesting to find out the details about them and thank you again for your time.
You were a pleasure to talk with and it was a real treat for me.Welcome to the forum and for having the courage to dive into this den,excuse the pun,of vader nuts and geeks!
Great and very interesting thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:42 am 
Random avatar
Brian, you created the Dark Lord as we know (and love)him. I know the little sketch they gave you. Well, and you did it perfectly right. Maybe it was because of your interpretation and skills that the prequels were made....(everyone waited to see the Vader YOU CREATED!)

BR Jörg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm 

:eek :eek are you blaming Brian for the prequels???!! That is way out of order!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:59 pm 

HAL9000 wrote:
:eek :eek are you blaming Brian for the prequels???!! That is way out of order!

:lol :lol :lol ... I think you got him a bit wrong there ... :lol :lol :lol

... well, my son loves the prequels ... and I think they aren't that bad :chase

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject: Re: The complete ANH Vader Mask
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:02 pm 
Random avatar

Is this an April fools joke OR one of the best Vader topics in a while?

Either way it is pretty good :)

Cheers Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm 

JRX wrote:
vaderman wrote:
JRX,

To answer your last question - no concept heads were sculpted just the one screen helmet

Brian

Thanks Brian - :)

Interesting :) ... what about this pic then ... fake ???

I assumed you were asking if any concept heads were sculpted at Elstree while I was on Star Wars - my knowledge is limited to that time and I do not know what happened after the production or at ILM.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:33 pm 
Random avatar
Brian,
were you ever disapointed that the original Vader mask you sculpted
wouldn't be used as part of the new trilogies..

Most of us Hardcore Vader fans were for sure :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:45 pm 
Random avatar

artisanprops wrote:
Brian,
were you ever disapointed that the original Vader mask you sculpted
wouldn't be used as part of the new trilogies..

Most of us Hardcore Vader fans were for sure :(

Great point artisanprops there should have been a greater effort for continuity to resurrect the original ANH Vader look.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:48 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Brian,

Please pardon the question if it was asked before, but what happened to the clay original that you had worked on -- after the mold was taken? Could you elaborate on that period of time?

Hi Mac,

The clay original would have been discarded once the mould had been taken as there would have been no use for it. The picture that I put on of Dave Prowse with the clay still on the back of the head shows that all the front was destroyed in the process of moulding. As with many other things in the film industry it ended up in the skip.

Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next