It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:34 am 

darthjones wrote:
...in that shot where costume folks are about to lower the helmet portion onto Prowse's masked face, are you saying that he is wearing BOTH halves of the originally intended face mask?

He is not wearing both halves in that pic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 am 

Welcome Brian!

Now, you have been asked many questions no doubt the same question has surfaced a number of times, is there anything that you recall that has not been asked or sticks out in your mind as being an interesting memory?

For example, sometimes when I start work on something, there is a moment where things go a direction not originally intended and it turns out great....that sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:17 am 

I have to agree, I have a better pic of them putting the helmet onto the mask and you can clearly see Prouse's head in the back. However, this doesn't mean that they didn't use the back of the mask for some of the filming...

But the 3 "tabs" were definitely used to affix the helmet to the mask. I find it surprising that they would use those to affix the back of the mask to the front. That would mean that the back would have to overlap the edge of the mask, wouldn't it? But how could it, without serious modification to the back half? Perhaps some sort of clips instead of those famous 3 tabs were experimented with to attach the back to the front?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:31 am 

Darth Karo wrote:
darthjones wrote:
...in that shot where costume folks are about to lower the helmet portion onto Prowse's masked face, are you saying that he is wearing BOTH halves of the originally intended face mask?

He is not wearing both halves in that pic.

I agree, in that photo (the full non cropped photo) you can see Dave's hair sticking out the back of the mask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:17 pm 

I have actually got two versions of the same shot in my collection. I won't comment on you know who. But it is an interesting shot and if you look at the
rear of the head it looks like there are 3 or four studs in a vertical alignment.

Anyway, as I said before - there's the possibility this is just something someone did when recasting - but it does seem quite an extreme measure and it would be fiddly and awkward having the rounded back would it not?

So I'm 50/50 on these being the real deal. I guess Brian is the only one who will recognise any form...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:32 pm 

HAL9000 wrote:
I have actually got two versions of the same shot in my collection. I won't comment on you know who. But it is an interesting shot and if you look at the rear of the head it looks like there are 3 or four studs in a vertical alignment.

Anyway, as I said before - there's the possibility this is just something someone did when recasting - but it does seem quite an extreme measure and it would be fiddly and awkward having the rounded back would it not?

So I'm 50/50 on these being the real deal. I guess Brian is the only one who will recognise any form...

Hmmm...it has always been stated that the original molds were destroyed...this is no mold - it's a plaster positive.

Interestingly enough, this "thing" has features that are very close to the original ANH faceplate. And pics of it are floating around for quite some time now - much longer than I got the TM for example.

I'm 50/50 on this too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:20 pm 
Random avatar

If these pics are of a real positive plug.
How well would a Dome fit on that?
It looks like the dome would fit very tight and would be in correct position.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:23 pm 

chris1748 wrote:
If these pics are of a real positive plug.
How well would a Dome fit on that?
It looks like the dome would fit very tight and would be in correct position.

chris

Maybe that was the original plan? Just stick the dome on the faceplate front half/back half combo, and it will stay there fixed with a bit of velcro?

Sounds plausible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm 
Random avatar

This is a great thread.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Definitely some interesting and unexpected stuff. :eek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm 

Very interesting and unexpected stuff. I certainly hope Brian can answer some of these questions and the forums are not to confusing! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:16 pm 
Random avatar

thank you for your patients and time to answer all our questions.
its the first time someone really helps to clean out some myths and tell us which way it was done. so a great thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:57 pm 

The full head is not like the original...it's has many problems with it that you can see especially in side view. Plus the neck is too short and the base is wrong.

The tabs would only be used to affix the helmet and there is evidence of a clip mechanism to keep the front and rear halves together that is rearward of the tabs.

Incidentally, the TD ANH mask has a seam of the front/rear halves and a remnant of that mechanism with a wear pattern indicating a clip was used. The TM also has that seam. It's been worn off quite a bit on the VP, but it's there too. It's not on the SL although I'm still studying that.

That full head might be from something related to the original sculpt but if so then it's been altered a bit. The reason I say that is the seam on the full head is in the right place...something to guide TM owners in case you haven't found it yet. Incidentally I covered the plaster phase in an interview I did with Brian a couple years back and mentioned it before here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm 
Random avatar
outstanding thread!!!!

Post subject: Re: The complete ANH Vader Mask
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:15 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
vaderman wrote:
There was only one plaster cast. When I'd sharpened it up and it was remoulded and cast in fibreglass I then used the same plaster cast to sculpt the clay helmet on.

OK, thanks. Was there anything changed from your initial sculpt of vader to what we finally saw on screen? Anything added or deleted other than the back portion of the faceplate?

No there were no changes made - any changes were made in the clay under the instructions of the designer, John Barry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next