It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: The complete ANH Vader Mask
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 pm 

The original Vader mask was sculpted with a front and back - I invite your questions and comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm 

I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you asking if its true or simply speculating fact and looking for confirmation?

Either way, I think he only made the face front since that was all that was necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:25 pm 

The dome part of the helmet is huge! It looks really good though. Did you sculpt the mask part on a lifecast of David and the dome by itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:28 pm 

Alex SL4182 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you asking if its true or simply speculating fact and looking for confirmation?

Either way, I think he only made the face front since that was all that was necessary.

VaderMan is the man who sculpted THE WHOLE helmet.. He is the reason why we are all into this hobby.. :wink: its a fact. i saw pictures the plaster sculpture of the mask on the web.. i cant remember where..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

I have seen a few pictures of a plaster cast - I think it was sold through eBay long ago. That one had the facemask done front to back as a one-piece on what appeared to be a lifecast of the upper chest and head of a strongly built guy. I think it was reported not to be real, but definitely has some interesting features.

Plaster cast to the left:

Post subject: Re: The complete ANH Vader Mask
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 pm 

vaderman wrote:
The original Vader mask was sculpted with a front and back - I invite your questions and comments.

So the mask itself was 2 parts both front and back, that would clamshell together over Prowse's head, then the dome over that? I would imagine that would have been terribly claustrophobic, cumbersome. and god awful hot.

Very interesting information to note though.

Do photos exist of this original set up? That would be really cool to see!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:55 pm 

vaderman wrote:

It may sound funny, but I always guessed that you have done it that way - like a full robot head. Looking at my TM faceplate, the way the faceplate almost "wraps" around the back half of the head, it seemed to me that there was more material originally. What was the plan regarding a connection of both front and back of the faceplate (i.e. like the Threepio head)? Did you think of a dome/faceplate connecting mechanism, or was that up to the prop guys who were finishing the helmet?

BTW, I am really curious to hear what you think of that plaster cast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:23 pm 

Midnight Trooper wrote:
The dome part of the helmet is huge! It looks really good though. Did you sculpt the mask part on a lifecast of David and the dome by itself?

Yes I sculpted the front and back of the mask (complete) on a lifecast of Dave Prowse. The complete mask was moulded and cast in plaster and I then sculpted the helmet over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:29 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
I have seen a few pictures of a plaster cast - I think it was sold through eBay long ago. That one had the facemask done front to back as a one-piece on what appeared to be a lifecast of the upper chest and head of a strongly built guy. I think it was reported not to be real, but definitely has some interesting features.

Plaster cast to the left:

I have a photograph that may answer this but I'm having problems trying to put it on the forum (trying to get to grips with the technology :conf )

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:35 pm 

slasher x wrote:
vaderman wrote:

So the mask itself was 2 parts both front and back, that would clamshell together over Prowse's head, then the dome over that? I would imagine that would have been terribly claustrophobic, cumbersome. and god awful hot.

Very interesting information to note though.

Do photos exist of this original set up? That would be really cool to see!

The front and back was sculpted as one but the two halves were only created by the moulding and casting process.

As you state it was very claustrophobic and hot and was discarded.

I have a photo to show this but as I stated in my previous post to NoHumourman I haven't got to grips with the technology to upload it.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

In case you were planning on using photobucket which is a free picture hosting site:

http://photobucket.com/

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/how-to- ... vt286.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm 

vadermania wrote:
vaderman wrote:

It may sound funny, but I always guessed that you have done it that way - like a full robot head. Looking at my TM faceplate, the way the faceplate almost "wraps" around the back half of the head, it seemed to me that there was more material originally. What was the plan regarding a connection of both front and back of the faceplate (i.e. like the Threepio head)? Did you think of a dome/faceplate connecting mechanism, or was that up to the prop guys who were finishing the helmet?

BTW, I am really curious to hear what you think of that plaster cast...

The three clips on top of the mask were for connecting the back and front together and velcro to be used for the neck area. I had no input with the connecting mechanism - I'm not sure but I think it was Special Effects who were responsible for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I may not be the best to teach how the picture hosting sites work, but I can host the picture for you until you figure things out. Let me know and I can pm you my e-mail address.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm 

vaderman wrote:

The three clips on top of the mask were for connecting the back and front together and velcro to be used for the neck area. I had no input with the connecting mechanism - I'm not sure but I think it was Special Effects who were responsible for it.

That's cool, thanks for answering my question, Brian.

I have learned from an interview you did with Thomas/SithLord (posted on Jez' website) that the dome was sculpted on a plaster cast of the faceplate. Were there changes/alterations made to the plaster faceplate before it got molded to produce the fibreglass castings for the shoot? Or was a mold taken from your original clay sculpt of the faceplate to produce the final fibreglass faceplates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:56 pm 

So that's what the three tabs were for. That's a major question answered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next