It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes... I know I have talked about this before... on other forums, but with the recent work I have done on the Mal Reynolds sculpt I have really begun thinking about this project again - and if no company will ever produce an accurate version, then all the more reason to try doing this.

After having visited a cool guy, doing Studio Scale models, here in my own town, my eyes were opened to a wealth of new materials to use for just such a project - and thanks goes to him for showing me all his stuff! :thumbsup

Seriously, the Kaiyodo/Screamin' kit is the closest helmet sculpt I have ever seen to the originals, except for Marmit's version, which is un-produced - nothing really comes as close, not even the GG busts and statues, imo - yet, they are not 100% accurate, as far as I can see.

This however may be a long way in development before actual sculpting begins... and even then it may take a while... as I am also planning other projects - really hope the Mal kit turns out great... as any future projects would practically be killed if it doesn't.

I know this may be ambitious, but I hope to one day have one from all three OT movies made - just need to find poses that match the mood of each individual movie the best. Any suggestions regarding pose, etc are welcome.

Over the next couple of weeks I will try to gather as much reference material of the individual components, so I can try to recreate them in the small scale, but please be patient as I do not work so fast.

I will use the Kaiyodo/Screamin' kit as reference, but will try to sculpt or scratch-build most of it myself.

Really hope I can pull this off... imo, the helmet is going to be the most difficult part to get right.

Yes... now the plan is out there... and hope to get started soon... but as I said - other projects comes first! :hehe-err

Last edited by Too Much Garlic on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

well I look forward to seeing your project. Any help/advice needed just shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

darthvaderv wrote:
well I look forward to seeing your project. Any help/advice needed just shout.

Oh... I'll shout... when the time comes... no doubt about that! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Well... some time next week I will start sourcing the various items I need to do this project... so what I'm basically asking is: measurements. I need measurements for practically anything on Vader's costume & armor pieces. Is there any site that has a fairly accurate measurements charts for all pieces from all the movies?

I will definitely start working on the helmet sculpt next week - the first time around was a disaster, but not only had I never worked with Super Sculpey before at that time, nor did I have any tools - they are not perfect, but definitely better than what I had then.

This is going to be a major pain in the butt to get completely accurate... but hey... it's good training and I got the perfect pieces to use as reference. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Will have to make a 1:6 scale pose-able mannequin-style figure to do the costume on. FUN FUN FUN! :conf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

It may be a dumb question but what meaurements do you want lifesize or action figure scale. I have Sideshow and Medicom Vader's as well as accurate lifesize.

EDIT which Vader you starting with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Life-size measurements - accurate for ANH, ESB & RotJ - so I can down-scale.

Though... mostly measurements of the chest box, belt boxes and the various greeblies on those...

Starting with ANH, so that one has first priority! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

I only have ESB. The chestbox I have is the most accurate so I will measure that for you when you need it. Also the rest should help. SL, Phil or Kev-vader (RPF) (SLD) should be able to help you with your ANH, as I have not started that project yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Cool. :thumbsup

Gonna work on the helmet first... but looking forward to make all those parts for the rest of the costume! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

NHM You seen the Vader 1:6 on ebay. Looks great and has interest but thought you might be interested, surpasses the medicom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the Hurricane custom. Looks good from a distance, but upon close inspection there are many flaws in the helmet - basically because it is made of found parts: Kaiyodo/Screamin' face and Hasbro dome, iirc.

The rest of the kit is superb - but still too action-figury for my tastes... I'm into model kits, not large scale pose-able figures with real cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

What, no thanks?? I went on ebay, saw it, thought of you, logined in again , and all to post this for you :wink: :lol

Well you see, I have alot of figures but on that side of things I'm an enthusiast not an expert. Lifesize is more my thing.

The info is good though cause I was briefly interested, still holding out for a marmit, if they ever surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that was incredibly cold and poorly mannered of me... sorry.

Thanks for showing it! :thumbsup

I'm crossing fingers for the Marmit version as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Anybody who got an ANH chest box, would it be possible to get detailed pictures with measurements from all four sides to get a topical view of the depth of the box itself as well as the greeblies - I have only seen the boxes from the front, so really have no clue how high one greeblie is in comparison to the other greeblies on the box, if you know what I mean. Any help would be fantastic.

Need this for the belt boxes too...

Those are pretty much the parts I need info on at this moment... seeing as I got gathered a good deal of info on the capes now. :thumbsup

Going away from the poseable figure kit - I want to make a static figure; a statue... though... that doesn't mean I can't use fabrics to simulate the cloth and then spray it with glue, so it gets completely stiff, but then has accurately shaped folds, etc... and then painted at the end!

Got a pose figured for the ANH and the ESB version, but not yet for the RotJ - which pose most personifies Vader from that movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next