It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 pm 
Random avatar

This is a great looking helmet. I may need to get one of these to add to my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:05 am 

NHM-
did you use the screw holes in the exact location that they were indicated?
Also- looks like you have no ear gaps (sweet) ...did you follow the cut lines on them or did you cut them differently to avoid any gaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Came pre-trimmed... and I haven't sanded down the ears for a more accurate fit. I don't like gaps at the ears and I especially don't like when makers make those gaps deliberately - if I want the gap, I'll add it, but no reason to take away that option. There are gap-less original helmets and with a gap, then I can't replicate those.

And yes... I used the pre-drilled holes. Was a damn nightmare to assemble and I can honestly say it took sweat, blood and tears to get it together. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:54 pm 

I hear you there...went out and bought four rubber-grip clamps to help hold the thing in place during assembly (following a TE2 build thread on the fisd)
You should see my Firefox browser on my 'puter. I have no less than eight tabs open, from here, the FISD (build threads), starwarshelmets ref pics (love you Jez), AP build threads, neck trim product sites, eye trimming pics....ugh!

Ok well, I was curious if you used the three holes in the exact spots. I'll get the pieces clamped in place and have a look...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

I did. I just figured out after having struggled with it for two hours to just screw in the small screw holding the face and cap together, before beginning to screw on the ears.

I've been told that the pre-drilled holes are placed wrong and has the face sitting too far back and up in the cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 am 

When i put mine together i did it free hand. I dont have any clamps. I eyed it up for ages and then just went with what looks right to me. I dont think i did use the original spots.

I drilled the middle one first, put in a pop rivet to hold it in but didnt pop the rivet if you know what i mean. Then i moved the cap up and down til i had the brow where i wanted and then just drilled.

I am really pleased how it turned out. I would also recomend not cutting the ears to the trim lines. i did and they are over trimmed. Cut outside the line by a couple of mil and then sand to fit, if you like a flush fitting ear.

However im not bothered about having smooth ears as i like my props to resemble screen used stuff which is rather rough looking, so mine have little gaps lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Hey, that's looking mighty fine. The frown looks a little RotJ though... any chance of getting a close view?

I like how you assembled it. If I ever buy another I'll ask for a untrimmed version, so I can experiment. Also just noticed that if you trim the neck opening a lot more, then it will be closer in look to a TE - the neck opening, I mean! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:17 pm 

I'll take some more pics when the suns out next, my camera sucks ( read user error ).

With the teeth / frown i looked at some ref pics and after just painting the teeth it looked wrong. I have painted just outside the teeth but have not left the frown area like rotj and to me this looks right for esb.

I had to take 1/2 inch from the neck hole just to get my head inside mine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:34 pm 

Awesome!!!! Looks fantastic.
tnks for the screw-hole ifo...and the head-size info. I can definitely see that I'm going to need to trim a bit around the neck opening when the time comes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Looking at this picture - original can be found in my HDPE thread on page 2 I think - you can clearly see how much larger the neck gap should be, when compared to the TE. Incidentally, you can even see where you should trim the ear to make it more accurate.

Rough illustration, but I think you get the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:09 pm 

I would say my AP is trimmed between your AP and the TE. Ive only had my TE2 out of the box a couple of times as im waiting for nicer weather before i paint and i have not compared them here at home..

1 thing to remember with those ears are the TE are angled back more than the AP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the TE is trimmed and assembled much differently than the AP. If one were to take an AP and trim and assemble it like the TE, you'd get a much different helmet than mine.