It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 am 

Aww, come on. Step up on this one since you can, I know you can do it. :wink:

Chant...

GINO...GINO...GINO...

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 am 

Really, worst case you could send me a set and I'll do the measuring & pic taking.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Whenever I look at pictures/screen captures of the ANH tusks they simply scream "custom made" to me. Not milled or a found piece, but made from 3 individual pieces: 1 allen screw head screw, a slim round spacer, and a ridged bottom end cap. And the "tapered" area between spacer and end cap doesn't look straight to me or extends all the way out to the edge of the end cap, but looks curved; more in line with someone filling the cap between the two pieces with filler and then running a finger over it to smooth it out.

All these pieces are very simple... just a matter of finding the right ones at the right size.

This is what I see and thought I'd throw it out there... and it is in no way an indication of how the originals were made... just speculation on my part, based on available pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm 

I dunno....to me it looks like a found item. There are so many bits that look like this.....rivet head, grease nipple, spark plug electrode, etc....could be anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:18 pm 

It might look that way but it's actually one piece. Yes Carsten I agree that there's some curvature in the base/stalk boundary, something most of the makers neglect in their designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
It might look that way but it's actually one piece.

Interesting. But the thought of a put together piece actually came from the large Tantive pictures of Vader... I think even from one of your grabs. On the black tusk, where the paint has been scraped, there is a distinctive ridge that bends two times at the very tip... and if you continue the lines you may get a sextant(?) - very similar to the tip of a allen head screw - only filled in, but the edges slightly exposed from the paint-rub.

SL, would I be allowed to use your capture to show what I'm talking about, as it is showing this the best, or should I try to find another picture?

It may not be anything... just kinda odd to have such a distinct feature showing.

SithLord wrote:
Yes Carsten I agree that there's some curvature in the base/stalk boundary, something most of the makers neglect in their designs.

True.. I know nothing of milling, so have no clue how difficult it would be to make such a curve. However, I found some screw bits that had a knurled base that curved into a stem - can't see if it is ridged with straight lines or grid lines intercrossing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
On the black tusk, where the paint has been scraped, there is a distinctive ridge that bends two times at the very tip... and if you continue the lines you may get a sextant(?) - very similar to the tip of a allen head screw - only filled in, but the edges slightly exposed from the paint-rub.

SL, would I be allowed to use your capture to show what I'm talking about, as it is showing this the best, or should I try to find another picture?

It may not be anything... just kinda odd to have such a distinct feature showing.

Sure thing no problem...I captured/enhanced the HD grabs but of course I don't really have a say about them but just watermark them so people know the source...getting them wasn't easy.

Carsten that's an illusion because there's a big flake of black paint that came off at a diagonal to the long axis of the tusk, making it look like a discontinuity...but it's the same kind tusk on both sides...

Last edited by SithLord on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

I think I remembered wrong about the picture... I'll go through everything tomorrow, as it's getting too late here now.

Sorry about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:06 pm 

This might help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 pm 
Random avatar

Great to see this discussion going on.
When I was looking for tusks last year I asked around about info on accurate tusks. Bigbaddaddyvader has a set he says are original, but it seems noone else thinks they are.

It think I might have mentioned at the time, I have the machinery to produce tusks relatively easily and would be happy to offer them to other people, it would just be a case of getting the correct dimensions to me.

Does anyone think they have a closer set of dimensions than those being offered already, let me know and I will get on to it.

Cheers

JR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:25 am 

I heard that they may have been those little knobs on filing cabinets . . . you know, like these:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

SithLord wrote:
This might help...

Sorry, but no. They are a bit too fussy. Had a look at Darth Kahnt's HD archive as well... and honestly... it just looks like a lighting effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:43 pm 

what looks like a lighting effect? The paint loss? I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing :blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:55 pm 

SithLord wrote:
what looks like a lighting effect? The paint loss? I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing :blah

I think that's why in certain cultures people tilt their head side to side. It doesn't look like either a nod or a shaking of the head. It's almost like they're acknowledging what you're saying but are actually implying, "I am neither confirming nor denying!" :toothy

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

This time I'm actually agreeing that it doesn't look like it has that straight angled line at the tip of the tusks to possibly indicate the edges of a filled in allen head screws. At least I cannot see it in any of the pictures I have looked at here or in my own saved files. Really weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next