It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 am 

I have a set from Fatherless One. I am not saying they are bad at all so I hope no offense is taken. Its just hard for someone like me to judge without ever seeing what a real one looks like.
Thanks to the comments made here I have an idea that somewhere between a JB and a Fatherless one is accurate.

I supposed it would be far to much to ask to see a picture of a real tusk? From an ESB mask possibly? I know a lot of authentic helmets have them broken off but surely someone must have some good pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:07 am 

Okay, so here's a photo of an exhibit ROTJ Vader. Mind you, it's not necessarily screen-used, and in making these tour suits, LFL doesn't necessarily always use the absolute exact same parts. But at least you'll get a picture that the base is ridged.

Now this appears similar to the ROTJ Vader in the scene where he inspects the Death Star 2.0.

This is not necessarily the same tusk used in ANH. Who knows? The mushroom tips look more triangular here (and in ROTJ) and in ANH the mushrooms seem thicker at their base but flatter at the very points.

The challenge with tusks is that no vendor has nailed it 100%.

Either the base is too wide or too thick. Or both.

Or the stem is too short or too wide.

Or the mushroom is too flat or too triangular or too rounded.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 am 

Agreed,

If we can agree on a design, I'll make them for all of us :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:26 am 

How about these?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:31 am 

Very promising!

However, tusks are not a one-size fits all solution because each vendor's mask's tubes are going to vary in diameter. Let's say you get insanely accurate. If a vendor's mask is 1-2 mm. too narrow, then you're going to really notice it. If it's too big, you'll see gaps too. This you have to play by ear.

I'm sure that JB and SPFX make their tusks fit their own products perfectly.

If you have something larger, say, a Don Post Deluxe or whatnot, you'd have to find something else.

A GhostHost ANH may have a wider skull (thus appearing even larger than a Don Post Deluxe) but its tube endings' diameter is actually significantly smaller than that of the DP DLX.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:36 pm 

I say make them to fit a VP, TM and other authentic casts. Accurate all the way. Someone told me there was someone a couple years ago who made perfect tusks. No one seems to remember who this guy is. Vader experts, do you have a set of tusks from yesteryear that are primo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:22 pm 

The Prop Store ones are fake. The crown or head doesn't have a little point to it, they are individually machined (???....stems different lengths, lip of crown different thickness), the base is way too tall, among other things...

Here are the prop store ones...

And the screen ones...note the ridges on the painted tusk (yellow lines)...

Who made the "Modified" tusks in Darthvaderv's comparison (terrific collection btw)? Again, that one is the closest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:19 pm 

.I have been messing around on my lathe almost daily making tusks..still can't seem to get it right! :)

attempts..the scrap heap :) :

best I've done so far without measurements...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:36 pm 

Holy tusk pile Batman! You've been busy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Who made the "Modified" tusks in Darthvaderv's comparison (terrific collection btw)? Again, that one is the closest.

I did Thomas...

I felt it was close but not 100%, I'm too fussy :wink: . I still have to complete a set as I'm working on other things ATM.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:36 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
Very promising!

However, tusks are not a one-size fits all solution because each vendor's mask's tubes are going to vary in diameter. Let's say you get insanely accurate. If a vendor's mask is 1-2 mm. too narrow, then you're going to really notice it. If it's too big, you'll see gaps too. This you have to play by ear.

I'm sure that JB and SPFX make their tusks fit their own products perfectly.

If you have something larger, say, a Don Post Deluxe or whatnot, you'd have to find something else.

A GhostHost ANH may have a wider skull (thus appearing even larger than a Don Post Deluxe) but its tube endings' diameter is actually significantly smaller than that of the DP DLX.

I have a Don post Deluxe as well as a JB and a SPFX cast, they are all around the same size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:20 am 
Random avatar
Those prop store tusks are definitely not real. I think bigbaddaddyvader ownes them but his could be something else. Either way, neither are correct.
Someone did do a run years ago that made some extremely accurate esb/rotj tusks, in which I bought several sets. I don't remember who the person was but they were very inexpensive. Like $5 a set. You don't see that everyday. I think it's because he made a ton at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:39 am 

I agree, Propstore tusks, not authentic. They don't match the screen tusks.

Dave :)

Last edited by vaderdentist on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:22 am 

GINO wrote:
Those prop store tusks are definitely not real. I think bigbaddaddyvader ownes them but his could be something else. Either way, neither are correct.
Someone did do a run years ago that made some extremely accurate esb/rotj tusks, in which I bought several sets. I don't remember who the person was but they were very inexpensive. Like $5 a set. You don't see that everyday. I think it's because he made a ton at once.

Hey Gino, since (in this case) the ones you have aren't secret info, how about some pics & measurements?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 am 
Random avatar
Too lazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next