It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: MR 1:1 Stormtrooper Helmet Now Shipping
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 pm 
Random avatar

My MR Stormtrooper Helmet shipped today! Anyone else get the thumbs up on theirs? Let the debates begin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:09 pm 

Please post a TON of good, sharp and detailed pics when it arrives - :)

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:48 am 

Someone on the RPF rec'd theirs and posted pix....I'll reserve final judgement til I get mine....but I'm psyched!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin

I've seen some pics of it on RS. The frown looks a bit off to me, but all in all it's a nice helmet and by far the best licensed TK... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:45 pm 

Guys, I dont think there's many changes from the second prototype helmet featured on my site. At that point the only issue was the ears (too sharp).

I'm expecting mine fairly soon and will post new pics but I think it'll be 99% the same.

The frown looks right to me what the production pics Ive seen

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:31 pm 
Random avatar

Hi guys, i received my MR Stormie Helmet yesterday and looked it over and did some comparisons to my SDS 'Hero' Helmet.

Let me just say first that it is a very nice collectible item. However, if you are after something really accurate then you might not like this helmet IMO. The packaging and presentation are top notch. It is definitely the best licensed Stormtrooper Helmet ever produced and the quality and finish of the helmet is very, very good.

I scrutinized the MR Stormie Helmet heavily comparing it to my SDS (which I believe has a very accurate faceplate) and screencaps, pics of the real helmets. The biggest problem I have with the helmet is the faceplate which looks off a little and couldn't figure out why until I compared it with my SDS Hero. The faceplate is too narrow and small and just throws off the accurate Stormtrooper look a little bit. The fact that the faceplate is a little undersized and narrow may also explain why there is a large gap between the dome and the faceplate just under the brow area . This large space is just a section of fiberglass filling the area in when in fact the faceplate should just but up against the dome. I am not sure why they did this but i am assuming because the helmet is fiberglass it probably has something to do with the manufacturing process, which is also probably why they made the faceplate narrower.

The ears are slightly undersized IMO and are mirrored copies for both sides when in fact on the originals the ears are different on each side. They also appear to have mirrored the front 'traps' on the dome which on the original helmets are again different on each side. The overall wonky shape of the dome/ backcap piece appears to be very accurate and also very similar to the SDS helmet by the way.

Keep in mind I am a picky SOB. Overall I still like it and will probably keep mine.

There are some other things which i will try and post later with some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for this first review! :thumbsup

zenwalker wrote:
There are some other things which i will try and post later with some pics.

Please don't forget to post some pics of the frown (area) as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:06 am 

Come on man we need to see pics pics pics!!!!!!!!!!

As far as comparing it to the SDS, my big problem with some of the SDS Stormtrooper helmets (and certainly the Hero's) was the angle of the faceplate - its wasnt anywhere near verticle enough. Since theyre hand made, each was different.

Because of this I took mine to pieces about 6 months ago and removed a lot of ABS and rebolted it together. I now have the face slanted down a lot more and it makes it a lot better.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 am 

good point about the face angle Jez, I noticed that same detail with the SDS helmet. I look forward to pics of the MR version!!!

Dave :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 am 
Random avatar

Well guys, finally here are the photos I promised, sorry it took a little while. With the holidays, work,family , etc., well you get the idea...

The first pics are of the MR Helmet itself. The last pics are of the MR Helmet next to my SDS 'Hero' Helmet. All these shots were taken from approximately 6 ft. away with the camera zoomed in. The Helmets lined up at approximately the same angle/ distance. Sorry, the lighting isn't great, I prefer to use natural lighting but with the dark cloudy winter days I just couldn't do it. Also note, the angle of the face plate on my SDS Helmet has not been adjusted yet, it is original to how I first received it.

I also did a composite image of the right side of the MR helmet, screen used helmet and the SDS Helmet together in the same frame at approximately the same size /angle. However, two of the images used to make the composite (the SDS and Real 'stunt' helmets) are form Jez's website. So, if I get permission from Jez to post the Composite image I did in Photoshop I will post it here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 am 

wow that's a fine lookin helmet!!!
Is the SDS Hero brow really that low? Looks like it's fallin down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Nice pics!!
I like it...

... and apparently they could only make 1048 before time ran out. :bolt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:41 am 
Random avatar
The helmet looks good. Is ist the same size as SDS or a real one? What is it made of? Kind regards, Jörg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

To be honest I really kinda like the look of this helmet... it has some flaws, yes... but I still think it is the best licensed helmet offering we've seen! :thumbsup

zenwalker: would I be allowed to use the first picture of the MR for the Trooper Helmets List?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:25 pm 
Random avatar

NoHumorMan wrote:
To be honest I really kinda like the look of this helmet... it has some flaws, yes... but I still think it is the best licensed helmet offering we've seen! :thumbsup

zenwalker: would I be allowed to use the first picture of the MR for the Trooper Helmets List?

No problem NHM, go ahead and use the picture if you want.