It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: VP Helmet comparisons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:47 pm 

Hi All,

This evening I finally received my VP helmet thanks to my good friend Chris.
I'll take some photos tomorrow comparing it to my modified no.73 Don Post deluxe and the SPFX ESB helmet I have.

As far as the SPFX is concerned I don't want to stir up a hornets nest but you'll find the comparison shots quite enlightening.

I'm covinced the VP came from the same mould as the TM.

The VP came from an ILM mould in Elstree studios - unfortunately the copy from the mould was cleaned up as it was to be used for promotional purposes.
The Vent is uncut like the TM and you can also see remnants of the ANH grill in the cast.
I can see brush marks from the ANH paint job in the cast as well as some of the same scrapes and dents as the TM.
I'd be curious if any TM owners have a set of calipers as I'd like to compare some dimensions to see if the VP is really from the same mould.
Anyway - pictures tomorrow if you guys want to see them...

Anson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats Anson..

Show any comparisons you want, I overreacted possiby before as I have done these comparisons with other helmets and they look smaller in comparison.

I was just trying to prevent a foreseen problem..

Quote:
I'd be curious if any TM owners have a set of calipers as I'd like to compare some dimensions to see if the VP is really from the same mould.
Anyway - pictures tomorrow if you guys want to see them...

As SL said the VP is smaller but not by much..Like all these things we are talking small meaurements.
I like the VP a great helmet, bring on the pics. :as2

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:25 pm 

I'm looking forward to this thread. Hopefully it will be an informative one and educational for the masses. Congrats also Anson. :as2

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:24 am 

Great news Anson, looking forward to the photo's :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:54 am 

Please photograph them at eye-level and 6 feet back (at least), zoomed in. Doing so will give us opportunities for accuraate comparisons with masks and helmets photographed the same way.

Arigato!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:11 pm 
Random avatar

Hi Anson,

Glad to hear you got it and you liked it :).

I was actually quite lucky the other night I got the chance to compare the VP with a GH ANH, GH ROTJ, a 20th Century, and a Don Post deluxe (The GH ROTJ is a beautiful piece) which are owned by a friend with quite an amazing and extensive collection. There was really not any real noticeable size difference to be honest between them all. I left the VP with the owner of the other helmets and he may take measurements and some photographs. I had imagined there would be substancial differences but there wasn't really but my time was limited as we met late in the evening.

The thing about seeing the helmets together was it wasn't really size that seemed to determine lineage it is more features left on the helmet. There clearly is a natural tendency by people to want to fill and sand and make perfect to make things look as they did on the screen. Now guys like ourselves are looking for the warts n all real life look of props.

The original ANH helmet (or more than one of the originals) was cast after this each helmet ESB/ROTJ/promotional would have some lineage back to it. Really what determines the lineage is what hasn't been cleaned up, filled and sanded etc.

The VP faceplate has some great features and it is really only when you have it in hand you can see the details. There are some areas cleaned up but only by the propmaker after he took it out the mould in the early nineties most notably the tabs sanded off. Shame it wasn't left untouched but it has minimal cleanup so it is still a great piece :)

Anyway looking forward to your pics. If I get any comparison pics I will post also.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:43 pm 

Just to be funny! :lol

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:00 pm 
Random avatar

Hi,

Anson the clean up work on the VP master was not done for promotional work I believe it was done because the prop maker was going to clean up the master and the paint it for a display piece for himself he just didn't bother cleaning it up that much and left it sitting for years in storage.

The LFL mould was used for the VP master and there was a helmet made for the promotional work from the VP master that got painted and fully finished off and was used for the promotion in the early / mid nineties. I might have a (bad) pic of the Vader that was used in the promotion from a magazine of that time. I will look for the pic.

I have no idea how much clean up the one used for the promotion had done to it but I would imagine a lot to get it looking good for the public to see.

Just for a bit of clarity.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 pm 

Can somone refresh my memory -- which is the VP?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:48 pm 
Random avatar

Hi,

Here are a couple of threads by Thomas (Sithlord) and Carsten (NHM).

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/vp-anh- ... t1005.html

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/vp-vade ... vt441.html

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:56 pm 

Ah - Thanks, I had it filed away as SL.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:45 am 
Random avatar
neeeeeeeeeed............... some............Pics!! :lol

can't wait to see the comparisons :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 am 

Pictures tomorrow - would it be a good idea to move this to the privileged section so we could do some comparisons to the TM?

That is - if it's okay to do comparisons to the TM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:16 am 
Site Admin

That would be really good ..only problem is It's doubtful...for 2 reasons.

1) Some or the majority of TM owners dont want to be known..

2) I dont believe any TM owners own a VP..I know all but 2 of them dont for a fact..

Moving this to the priviledged section is a good idea IMO :cool:

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:20 am 

I probably couldn't post any of the old photos of the original TM either - right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next