It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Rubies help...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:46 am 

I've been working on this here and there lately..my goal is to turn it into a presentable for trooping ANH Vader..I think I need a fresh set of eyes to critique it and tell me where it needs attention..this is the first work of this kind I've tried and I am loving it!! reading all the great threads here have helped to no end!..so....what do you guys see that I need to turn my attention to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:29 am 

RBJ,

Honestly, the Rubie's is a bit better suited to ROTJ and ESB (in that order) based on the amount of work that needs to be done. The ROTJ and ESB domes have a wider mid strip than the ANH. The ANH is narrower. While it is possible to reinforce the underside and to grind down the mid strip to make it narrow and flat, it is a very risky operation. More power to you if you can do it, but there are risks involved. ROTJ and ESB are safer.

If you're not after 100% accuracy (due to inherent structural flaws in the Rubie's such that mere mods can simply not make it 100% accurate) then here are some suggestions based on where you are in the modding process while understanding the Rubie's deficiencies.

BTW, what are you using as epoxy putty? PC-7? How's that working out for you?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:12 am 

..Thats AMAZING!!! Thanks so much...exactly what I was looking for! I have been using PC-7..so far, so good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 am 

When it cures, how hard do you reckon it is? I bought some again, incidentally, as I'd like to give it aecond chance.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Looking good, though, one thing that stands out is that you may need to put the nose plug back in and then fill the seam line between it and the nose wall to make them one, if you know what I mean. How it is now, the nose wall is too thin.

I agree with Mac that it is more suited for a RotJ style helmet, but since you've chosen ANH we should try to guide you as best as possible with details from that helmet. Though, it would be unfair to say that it can ever be 100%, but we can help you make it troop-worthy! :cheers

Looking forward to seeing more. Though, the topic should probably be moved to the Work in Progress section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:24 pm 

..thanks for the tips! I may try reinstalling the nose plug..other than the small neck vent, are there many more differences between ANH and ROTJ? Besides the dome, witch will be a whole other project/post! :)

The PC-7 has been a dream so far..I took a piece I had cut off the inside of the mounting piece of the dome and tried Bondo, 5min epoxy, devcon plastic welder, and PC-7 side by side..the PC-7 is the only one that bonded ..I've been roughing up the areas with 80 grit before applying the PC-7....so far, so good!

..sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum...maybe the Mods could move it?