It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:43 pm 

GINO wrote:
That is not the reason for the texture/bumps on the back/cap.

Uncle Gino, do tell! :toothy

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:47 am 

Gino very problably wont tell and especially not someone who likes to irk him at every chance Mac... :cool:
Its a closely garded secret that when you think about it, really isnt that important to know. Its just intresting is all.
It wont help you build a better replica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:15 am 
Random avatar
GINO wrote:
That is not the reason for the texture/bumps on the back/cap.

What was the point of that comment?

Either tell us your 'thoery' or zip it shut!

I noticed another nice spray paint yesterday at the B&Q. It was another plastikote product called Suede Tan. It leaves a rough texture for the top coat of white to adhere to. Could be worth a try :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am 

Again, due to paint sniffing as a kid, my memory fails. I vaguely remember reading something -- I don't recall if it was an interview with Ainsworth or not, but it had to do with the move from HDPE to ABS. It may have had something to do with HDPE being difficult to paint.

IF this is the case, then my question is if you try to use similar paint on HDPE without sanding (I notice from the paint peeling there was no sanding done to the material) if excess paint would bunch up into droplets that would later comprise the "bumpy cap" look. I'm sorry, but I don't see how so much debris can be allowed onto a positive buck. If this did happen, there would be certain bumps that were consistent on various old props based on that specific buck. My second question: Are there?

The third question is if bumpy caps were found on both ABS and HDPE helmets. If so, then HDPE doesn't necessarily cause paint to gather into droplets more than ABS. Along these lines, I'd also like to ask if the smooth caps only on one kind of material or both materials.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Will there be further clarification as to what I didn't get right?

CSMacLaren wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see how so much debris can be allowed onto a positive buck. If this did happen, there would be certain bumps that were consistent on various old props based on that specific buck. My second question: Are there?

It was done fast and for a low budget movie, why waste time and money cleaning the mold when you could be forming instead?
To second question: yes, was shown conclusively that some bumps are on more than one helmet - from the inside.

CSMacLaren wrote:
The third question is if bumpy caps were found on both ABS and HDPE helmets. If so, then HDPE doesn't necessarily cause paint to gather into droplets more than ABS. Along these lines, I'd also like to ask if the smooth caps only on one kind of material or both materials.

Iirc only the stunts had bumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:12 pm 

Midnight trooper hit the nail on the head it really doesn't matter what caused the bumps it's just one of those sad things some like to use to brag about or bait people with it's worthless info Mac don't worry about it,it could be a number of things but in the end it doesn't matter you may aswell want to know what brand of bogroll prowse wiped his arse with after taking a dump between takes.

The bumps are evident on the inside of the helmets like Carsten says so so it is something between the buck and the plastic causing them, the paintjobs were sloppy also with drips on the outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:31 pm 
Random avatar
I don' think there was a problem with paint sticking to HDPE initially. It was due to the flexing of the plastic that caused it to crack and I was told it was enamel paint that was used on them.

The bumps on the moulds were not crap, but there intentionally. I believe they were there to stop the hot HDPE distorting on the moulds and reduce shrinkage/warping when cooling. The face was a more complex shape and had plenty of grip for the cooling plastic to hold it's new shape.

Others will disagree, but that's my theory and others have there's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
It was done fast and for a low budget movie, why waste time and money cleaning the mold when you could be forming instead?

To second question: yes, was shown conclusively that some bumps are on more than one helmet - from the inside.

Iirc only the stunts had bumps.

Okay, this makes a whole lot more sense to me and my poor brain. So with time and wear and tear, if the buck began to develop tears here and there, this can definitely explain the uneven surface if they didn't repair the buck properly. This totally makes sense to me.

- Mac