It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: A suggestion to all on documenting alleged recasters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:02 pm 

We all scour sites like eBay for good deals, and the Stormtrooper is one of the most available costumes around. I don't know if it's because of the ease of the vacuum forming process as compared with the more involved fiberglass and resin casting, but the TK/TD armor seems to be one of the more recasted items on eBay.

Some of us post links to questionable eBay auctions where the scrutiny either puts pressure on the Seller to withdraw, or someone at eBay takes notice and blows the auction (and Seller account) out of the sky.

What happens unfortunately is that after an auction is removed, so are the photos. Future readers do not benefit from the whistleblower threads if the reference to the auction are gone. Further, recasters sometimes create new userIDs for themselves, and comparing historical photographs of what may be the same item can be immensely valuable.

My suggestion therefore is that if you want to comment on an auction, please consider:

1. Creating a Photobucket account (http://www.photobucket.com) and upload the photos there. (You can save the photos on your hard drive, and upload them to your Photobucket account).

2. Quote the text of the auction.

Once this information is gone, the whole thread is of no use to the community, and newcomers can't connect the dots, and we'd have to look out for one another all over again.

This kind of archiving will help people for years to come.

Additional suggestions.

* I prefer Photobucket, as Imageshack has an advertisement pop-up that sets off my anti-virus and I receive warnings.

* Remember to create subdirectories/folders in Photobucket, so you have a structure to save into. If you do your organizing now, things will be easier to find.

* This step is for the hackers at heart: you don't have to save them on your HD first. You can right click on an image and select "Properties". If you see the URL of the image, click on it, and select "Ctrl-A" (for "SELECT ALL") and "Ctrl-C" to Copy. Now examine the uploading options and you'll see a tab marked "Web URL". Click into a blank field and hit "Ctrl-V" to Paste the copied contents in there. This will allow Photobucket to reach across the web and snag the image.

* When finding images, get the largest possible. Sometimes you get a new pop-up window. The upper left will have a link say "Larger Image" or something like that. Tiny images rarely have enough information in them to form a cogent hypothesis (that's something Lt. Cmdr. Data would say!)

Thank you. May the Schwartz be with you!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds an awful lot like a "prop police". Though I like the idea of protecting newbies and those who haven't studied and learned as much as we have... I don't like this idea of this control policing.

We are here to advice... not to keep track. People fall in and people learn. All this über control and teaching bordering on preaching is not desirable. This is a hobby, not work. We don't need no BIG BROTHER type deal.

Focus your resources on the good products instead of the bad, otherwise the bad will overshadow the good and the hobby loses its fun.

However, you can present the idea to Jez, who runs the StarWars Helmets website. Might be an idea for that site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:30 pm 

Nail on the head NHM....agreed 110%.
There's enough fun sucked out of the hobby without having to patrol ebay.