It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: A Few Paint Questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:44 am 
Random avatar

Hey, I'm Ron and I'm new here; trying to mod my Rubies Supreme helmet. I was reading and looking at the paint comparison pictures a few threads down about the Black Pearl paint. What I'm wondering is what is the general consensus with this paint as far as clear coating the majority Black Pearl areas? Also, if using the Kustom Kolor on the face, what is the general consensus for painting the dome? Kustom Kolor Base Black with clear coat or something else? Thanks in advance.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:37 am 
Random avatar
Welcome Ron!!

I'm not too sure about the black pearl but this is what i used that seemed
to work for me

Primer : Dupli-Color FP101 High build formula (Important and great Primer)
Black: Dupli-Color DS001 Universal Black
Silver Highlight: Dupli-Color 8800928 Graphite Gray Metallic

you can apply this with or without a clearcoat. I didn't use any clearcoat i just polished up the paint.. here's a link with a short tutorial.. Hope this helps you :)
http://www.501stsithlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1772

Here is my Vader using this paint. Both the helmet and the armor were
painted using this paint
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 am 
Random avatar

So beautiful :drool :drool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm 
Random avatar

That's a great looking Vader! Thanks for the tutorial. But I've already bought a number of cans of the Kustom Kolor paint; though I wonder if I might be able to adapt your tutorial for that paint. Any thoughts on that? Anyone else have experience with this paint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 pm 

For the kustom kolor paints I would follow the tutorials as above. You should get close to the same results. I would honestly go the polishing route if I were you. Its another layer less of paint to obscure the details in the helmet, and you dont have to worry about applying too much and getting runs or extra particulate in the finish.

Definitely use a good primer like the one suggested though. A good quality auto primer will help to fill in some of the finer blemishes that may be left behind from even light sanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:43 pm 

If -- and this is a big if -- the Black Pearl is anything like the Don Post Deluxe's metallic gray highlights, then it will be far more attractive than DupliColor paints.

And if -- this is a big if -- this Black Pearl is anything similar to the Valspar Black Pearl allegedly used in ESB, then there is a chance that use of Black Pearl will have some similarities to how the prop appeared back then.

Here is what I am talking about. The following shot was taken on a tripod with NO special lighting. It's on a mannequin in my room. Once it was off my desk and, well, near the ceiling (now standing about 6'8") it caught the light around the room with amazing reflectivity but without looking glossy. There is NO clear coat here, nor was there a clearcoat supposedly on the original ESB mask, according to GINO.

I had posted a comparison between Valspar (Kustom Kolor), DupliColor and Tamiya. Both DupliColor and Tamiya are incapable of responding to the light in my room as effectively as the Kustom Kolor Black pearl.

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/kustom- ... t1003.html

You decide.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:59 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks for the input, guys. Mac, your original thread comparing the different paints is what prompted me to ask my original question in this post. I will definately go the polishing route on the dome; is the face polished also, or should it just be left as is? Also, they say to use a white base coat under the Black Pearl; but since I'm using a primer, should I be OK skipping the white base coat or do I need to stick with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:01 am 

RStephens wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys. Mac, your original thread comparing the different paints is what prompted me to ask my original question in this post. I will definately go the polishing route on the dome; is the face polished also, or should it just be left as is? Also, they say to use a white base coat under the Black Pearl; but since I'm using a primer, should I be OK skipping the white base coat or do I need to stick with it?

Ah Okay, I thought you might have missed that thread. When I first started learning about all this, people recommended T-177 Gun Metal by Dupli-Color. I then later found that they were only approximately matching the color based on photos of the ESB prop under flash photography. As you know, the actual filming of the propl is not under flash but proper studio lighting, which is much, much softer.

How the paint responds to lower light situations is far more important than a proper color match of paint responding to a bright flash.

The postiive side of using Dupli-Color is that if you are here in the States, it's readily available. It's automotive paint, so if you flex your helmet a little bit, it should take the flex okay. My experience is that Krylon Fusion will crack with minimal flexing.

Kustom Kolors also sells a black Base Coat. You wouldn't use white for something like this.

In fact, if you use your black base coat or whatever brand of black primer you prefer, that should be fine.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:14 am 
Random avatar
Yes definately polish don't clear coat it because you don't want it to be overly glossy i think it takes away from the look your trying to achieve

On the hand of dupli-color paints, i think you should buy a can, spray something not very important to you and polish it in a couple days because IMO the paint i listed above has been the nicest and most durable rattle can paint i've tested. the finish after polishing is better then some spray guns i've used and the color for the highlight is the closest i've found to ESB.. the pic of my vader is untouched digitally, only cropped and was taken with a flash so the color looks a little more silver then it does in person.. If you want i can send you a pic of it in natural light with no flash so you can see the ESB look these paints will give you... just PM me your E-mail if your interested

I'm not saying the black pearl doesn't look good i'm just trying to give an alternative in case the black pearl doesn't yeild the results your after :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:30 am 
Random avatar

Thanks guys for the continued help and info. I've already bought a number of cans of the Black Pearl and the Kustom Kolor Base Black and am unable to find the DupliColor paints around where I live (Ft. Wayne, IN, fwiw).

AP - PM sent.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 am 

I've owned another helmet that was shot with DupliColor T-177 Gunmetal, and when placed by the Don Post Deluxe in a dimly lit room, the results were night and day.

Under the same lighting, you could see the paint of the Dupli-Color. You could see it was painted. With the Don Post Deluxe, it was like a sheen or luster (it's hard to capture on a digital camera, but that last big wallpaper was my best shot at it) and it was more difficult to see that it was paint that was causing it. But it looked superior.

Now Artisanprops may have something there with respect to polishing it down, because that other helmet shot with T-177 wasn't polished so the metallic gray looked flat, so I can't rule out DupliColor completely. Either paint can be polished down.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:49 am 
Random avatar
CSMacLaren wrote:
I've owned another helmet that was shot with DupliColor T-177 Gunmetal, and when placed by the Don Post Deluxe in a dimly lit room, the results were night and day.

Under the same lighting, you could see the paint of the Dupli-Color. You could see it was painted. With the Don Post Deluxe, it was like a sheen or luster (it's hard to capture on a digital camera, but that last big wallpaper was my best shot at it) and it was more difficult to see that it was paint that was causing it. But it looked superior.

Now Artisanprops may have something there with respect to polishing it down, because that other helmet shot with T-177 wasn't polished so the metallic gray looked flat, so I can't rule out DupliColor completely. Either paint can be polished down.

yes it also looks like you used a different color then what i'm using. the stuff i'm using has a really nice look once polished

here is the color
Dupli-Color 8800928 Graphite Gray Metallic

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Pearl colors, compared to regular colors, uses the underlying color to strengthen itself, if you know what I mean. It is basically a surface color that blends into the underlying color. Don't know how to explain it... but it is more like a transparent color than a firm regular color. It compliments the underlying color.

I should possibly read up more on this... but this is what I've gathered of the characteristics of the pearl colors so far...