It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like something reflecting in the gloss black...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

My initial thought also, but why is it the tear drops outline doesn't reflect anything? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:16 pm 
Random avatar

NoHumorMan wrote:
voice in the crowd wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:
Well... it isn't the first time this helmet has been restored, iirc. From what I remember it was restored extremely badly the first time, with odd looking decals and straight tube stripes... now it is somewhat passable... but still sad to see what they did to it.

Hi Carsten,
It must be a different helmet that Joiner had restored as the really bad one you are talking about had seven or eight teeth cut out. This only has 6 so looks like Joiner has ruined two original helmets :(
Chris

Or maybe they filled up the additional holes from the inside... one can only HOPE that it's the same helmet... as that other thought is just frightening.

Carsten,

I do think it is another helmet.

Here is a pic of a casting taken of one of JJ's helmets done in the mid nineties by an industry propmaker who is a friend of a friend of mine. The castings were taken for promotional work.

I think this is a casting of the inside of the helmet up for auction judging by the right hand side fourth tooth indentation where it hasn't had the tooth cut out. We will never be sure though due to the work carried out on the original. This is another original helmet to be added to the list of found originals.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, the vocoder/mic tips area is as sharp as a razor. Has it been cleaned up and sharpened?

*EDIT*: The same type of indentation can be found on the "Stop That Ship" helmet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:21 pm 
Random avatar

I am unsure of what clean up if any was done on the helmet. It looks sharper because it is a cast of the inside of the helmet so it would look closer to a real helmet with plastic vac formed over it. The mic tips are just casts from the original but there is no mesh in place. The inside details of the mic tip are also intact they are also just blue tacked on for the photo :).

The helmets for the promotion were thrown together very quickly and are one piece fibreglass helmets. The Joiner / Kurtz archive have sold a few of these so called tour helmets / suits through 'profiles in history' in the past.

The mould taken from Joiners helmet still exists but it is unfortunately unlikely copies will be made.

Contrary to popular belief TE isn't the only person to have copied an ANH stormtrooper helmet although TE did have the courage to cast something he paid a lot of cash for and might have been damaged during casting.

The guy who cast this done it as a job and had nothing to lose personally if the original helmet had been damaged during the casting process.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 pm 

Hi guys - on hols at the moment so only just seen this.

I had my hands on this helmet about 5 years ago, and at that point it was the most poorly renovated helmet I'd ever seen, to the extent that even a 5 year old would have gone "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhh".

JJ lent it to MR who used it for their new Hero helmet (i know, its odd using a Stunt for a hero mould, but LFL wouldnt let them recast the hero in the archives).

So the helmet has been "renovated" again - but trust me its a LOT better than it was when I saw it after its first "renovation" - but still its crazy they could let someone loose on it who didnt really understand the finer points of detailing.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:22 pm 

yikes...sold for $32,500.

JUST out of my price range..... :cry2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 pm 

There's a sucker born every minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Admin

clutch wrote:
There's a sucker born every minute.

I second that.....$32,500..... :pale

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:38 pm 

TBH I am not surprised at that value - which in UK terms is "only" £16,500 and about the mid-point that original TK helmets go for. It certainly justifies JJ taking it through the second "restoration" since I doubt it would have gone over £10k in the state it was in a few years back (after its first).

It also goes to show that there is a market for restored helmets - I remember the Don Bies renovated Vader going for big bucks a few years back.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 pm 

:ac10

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:49 am 
Random avatar

voice in the crowd wrote:
Here is a pic of a casting taken of one of JJ's helmets done in the mid nineties by an industry propmaker...

I reckon your right. I just noticed that the "original stormtrooper face mould" that was on ebay some time ago, was actually a casting made from the inside of the recently sold JJ helmet. Not a TE as we first thought.. Seems like this helmet was somewhat of a slu* when it came to getting recast...

Pitty really. Because that means jj did indeed butcher two originals :(

Does anyone have pics of the jj armour auction that occured a yr or two back? IIRC it was a ROTJ suit, with a fibreglass helmet (same as the one above i'm guessing). I did have them saved, however I lost them in a harddrive crash.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 pm 
Random avatar

Found one. Looks alot like the auctioned helmet once painted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:17 pm 

The binder clip on the belt is classic. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:22 pm 

I think this is where restoration can make or break a helmet.

I recall many episodes of "Antique Roadshow" where well meaning people tried to slap paint, glue, or what-not on the antiques, only to be politely derided by the experts for not doing a proper restoration job.

A proper restoration job is more than cosmetic. It honors the original intentions of the art, and the restorer seeks to conserve the intrinsic historical value of the item.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )