It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: 1st pics of a weathered TE HDPE helmet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:28 am 
Random avatar

Well I was asked to weather this baby up for its owner... so here it is. Its been chipped to match the Brian R helmet, of which its build was based on aswell. Sorry about the crappy quality. All my photo's are taken with my phone. They tend to wash out most of the scuff marks, but trust me, this helmet looks USED!! Some day I'll get around to buying a decent camera.

As you can see from these pics, the HDPE colour isn't that bad!!

I have loads more, but don't want to clutter the thread

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:49 am 

Great looking job fon...hell when I first started posting pics I did have a decent camera and you take better pics with your phone. :lol

I understand if you don't want to give up your techniques...but how did you go about chipping the paint. I painted a clone trooper some monthes back and gave it a real grimmie beat up look.

Basicaly I tried a bunch of diff. things on the one helmet. Next time around I'd like to take some of the details I liked and use them on a new helmet.

Anyway great looking lid. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:57 am 
Random avatar

Hey mate :)

I used a stanley knife to lightly score the outline of the chip, then slid the blade under the paint and it just pops off.. You just have to be careful, and make sure you cut all the way through the paint when doing the outline. Other wise you can over do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:10 am 

you may have already said, but what paint did you use for the white? it looks great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:00 am 
Random avatar

Hey Clutch! I used a grey enamel undercoat. For the white, I had a tin of some rather old, original paint for an Holden Torana lying around, and used it. Its an automotive acrylic (not 2pac stuff). It was a dream to apply and came up with a beautiful gloss finish. I know I'll be doing all my helmets with acrylic from now on.

Pretty sure you won't find this stuff in the US though, seeing as the Holden Torana was only available in Australia. However you should be able to get those auto 'Touch up' paints in the US. They come in 150, and 400g spray cans, and should be just as good. If not better. I painted a vader with it some time ago, and I was stunned with the results. I can get a pic of one of those cans if you'd like.. I'll have to do it when I get home though.

I have heard some horrible stories about krylon paint, and HDPE. The paint comming off in big sheets, and flaking off just with handling. Not the way to go IMO, and the finish just looks dull unless you polish it up like mad. Even then it looses shine after a while. All the pics I've seen of ANH trooper helmets, they are glossy as! Including the sandtroopers. I'm pretty sure AA would have used this kinda stuff (auto acrylic) on the originals... The acrylic sticks really well to the plastic, and deffinately wont chip with normal handling (unless your on a movie set). Trooping, I wouldn't know? It would take a fair hit, with a somewhat pointy object (like a bench corner or something) to chip it. It also depends on how thin the coat of paint is. The only places it wanted to naturally chip was around the ears, and underneath the neck trim. The same places you see the originals chipping.. they're the places with the most flex, and least coverage. Even then the chipping was only minor.

I actually tried painting it first with 'Dulux' (or 'Dulon'? I forget what it was called) housepaint. But once it was thin enough to shoot through a spray gun, it lost all of its adhesiveness (is that a word?) and ran straight off leaving only the grey undercoat behind. No way they painted them with housepaint, unless it was with a brush. I had to sand the whole thing back to remove any residue left behind.. The end result was well worth it tho.

While I'm at it. For the weathering (which doesn't show up in these pics) I used a little off cut of some rubber neck trim. I smudged it where I wanted the weathering, then rubbed it with my sleeve to soften it up a bit. Leaves it looking dirty and USED!! I'm very happy with the results :)

I hope that helps some ppl out. If there are anymore questions, I'm only glad to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 am 

Well done Chris, the B&W pics look great.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 am 
Random avatar
Looks really good Chris, job well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:36 am 
Site Admin

I second that! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:49 pm 

Superb!!! :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't commented on this yet? I am an ass... :lol Very well done. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Nicely done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:41 pm 

Thanks for the info fon....never thought of that. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 pm 

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful! You did a great job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the mini tutorial. The helmet looks amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm 

Looking good!!

Profile E-mail