It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 am 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Deffie,

There is a myth that if you change it from 5%-30% you can escape lawsuit, but this is MYTH. According to an intellectual property lawyer's own blog, simply making a sculpture of an image and having enough likeness with that image is potentially copyright infringement.

So there are two aspects here: how LFL views it, and how we as a community of unofficial products self-police ourselves.

We just need to be humble in the sight of LFL's good graces towards the fans.

Yeah i meant more as a community based thing really i think its pretty clear that copyrights arent always respected or as JRX says our collections would be very small.

I just wondered where the line is drawn where people cant cry recast ?
Surely everything aside from scratch built or cast from original moulds is recast ?
Even cast from original pieces is recast right ?

Clearly though things aren't seen that way in the community or all the trooper lids for example on the market that derive from a movie helmet would be considered recast Gino,TE,GF,AP etc etc.
But if i for example was to take one of these existing helmets and rework and tweak it here and there i'm pretty confident that with scrutinisation certain tells could be spotted that it was a rework and i would be called a recaster.
Much like Gino saying TM is because according to him the face isnt entirely his own sculpt.(no proof i'll stress just using that as an example)
So what seperates reworking and recasting is my question ?

And yes this should be moved :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Not possible to move or merge... otherwise I would have done so long ago... (Well... I can move it... but then we'll have two topics on recasting. Similar to what we have now... so no point really.)

I'll just kindly have to ask you all to stay ON TOPIC and no more general recasting talk... that should be continued in the recast topic. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 am 

Defstartrooper wrote:
So what seperates reworking and recasting is my question ?

And yes this should be moved :lol

So I will take this quote from you, Defstartrooper, over to the "recast"
Thread and continue there - :wink:

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm 

JRX wrote:

And to top the cake off with a sad truth:

Every single piece you have in your collections is a RECAST - EXCEPT
they are Original Screen-used Props OR Officially Licensed Products.
Everything that does not fall into those 2 categories are just item copied
without permission from the owner of the rights: Lucasfilm.

Nail on the head, Jesper....everything else is just semantics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:38 pm 
Random avatar

Hi,

As one of the owners of a TE SFS helmet I can say for a fact that I had paid for the helmet months before any of the MVerta story came out. I would assume that all or most of the people who bought the helmet were in the same boat as me but cannot state that as fact. I wouldn't ever knowingly support a recaster.

I am unsure of all the facts of the MVerta argument and if it is true I am sad this has happened to him.

I don't believe Paul (troopermaster) to be a recaster and would also like to see proof of that before his good name is dragged through the mud. Paul is a talented artisan who is a credit to our hobby as far as I am concerned. It would take some solid set in stone evidence to change my mind on that point.

Another thing that puzzles me about Matt's helmets that was mentioned earlier in the thread was people saying they have number 1 or number 2. I have bought four or five different helmets directly from him over years and not one of them has been signed, dated or numbered but have seen other ones with signatures etc in them.

Also Matt told me he only made around 10 SFS helmets so if it has been recast surely it isn't going to take Sherlock Holmes to find out who has recast him.

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 pm 

my sfs is signed. I believe my glossy te is also signed. my regular te is not signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:48 pm 
Random avatar

Hi Clutch :) ,

It isn't really important the signing and numbering thing it is just a strange inconsistency that I have observed over a while.

I just think you either number all your helmets or none otherwise the numbers mean nothing.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:23 pm 

Chris,

In addition I'd always be wary of certain people saying "I'm only making 10 then I quit". DO we really believe that if 20-30 people came forward he would refuse them?

Incidentally, how much were these (complete), I heard $1000-$1200

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 am 

BingoBongo275 wrote:
Chris,
In addition I'd always be wary of certain people saying "I'm only making 10 then I quit".

If somebody makes such a statement (I did for the 20 Concept Vaders)
I think pics should be shown of the destroyed molds.
On that note ... As I still have 3 CV Helmets to get made to make the 20
there will still be some time left for those molds I think ...

BingoBongo275 wrote:
DO we really believe that if 20-30 people came forward he would refuse them?

That really depends on the seller I think.

BingoBongo275 wrote:

Yes - pretty pricey :pale :pale :pale ... sadly too much for me ...

The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon;
the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:32 pm 
Random avatar

BingoBongo275 wrote:
Chris,

In addition I'd always be wary of certain people saying "I'm only making 10 then I quit". DO we really believe that if 20-30 people came forward he would refuse them?

Cheers

Jez

Hi Jez,

Matt didn't put a number on the run he just said that was how many he made it wasn't a limited run to my knowledge. That is why I found it a bit strange some were signed and numbered. To be honest outside of licensed products numbers, signatures and dates really don't mean a thing.

I don't know about complete I bought an unpainted copy for $700 which was inclusive of shipping to Scotland. Basically the helmet is finished and primered. It has no signed of the join line which some had complained about and in all honesty it is an absolutely stunning piece. It just looks right even though it is made from the wrong material and the ears are part of the helmet. People say it a lot but with this helmet seriously photos just do not do it justice.

Unfortunately with work and the kids mine is stuck in a box unpainted and for the forseeable future it will not get the painting it so richly deserves :(

On the price thing I have to say I was willing to pay the money and I am not dissapointed in any way with the finished product.

The MVerta thing does grate on me a bit if true as I had no idea about that argument until after the event. There is nothing I can do about now and to be honest I don't know all the facts and don't know what to believe.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:01 am 

My SFS was signed because I asked for it to be signed.Matt told me that mine would be the first helmet to be pulled from the molds so I sked him to sign it as that.

As for the MVERTA vs TE thing I really don`t want to get involved as I have way too many personal issues of my own at the moment.Real life comes before my hobbies these days.Although there is 2 sides to this story and only one side of facts are being presented here.I have heard the other from TE a long time ago and don`t remember exactly what happened but it made sense to me.

Ben

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8