It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: MY HDPE STORMTROOPER
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:50 pm 

Hi Guys

I just got my TE HDPE helmet today :toothy . It is unpainted so I got a lot of work to do. In the meanwhile I am adding a couple of images, I will add more once I got some progress. Also I would love to hear your opinions and techniques of how to paint the HDPE buckets to avoid the paint to peel off pretty quick, how to prepare the surface before apply the paint, etc...

Cheers

Image URLs fixed by SWC

Last edited by AJCG on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MY TE HDPE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats, looks very nice to me. :thumbsup

AJCG wrote:
to avoid the paint to peel off pretty quick

It has to peel off! :lol

Which way are you going? ANH or ESB?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

I could possibly have gotten mine today if there wasn't this stupid army road march going on and the burn the witch day... crappy obstacles. Hope to get mine soon though.

Think you need to fix your picture URLs... though... it's okay to have them as links...

That really does look like a nice helmet! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:45 pm 

Very nice lid....btw NHM...what the hell is burn the witch day? Not familiar with that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

AJCG: you could always try this paint tutorial here: TK Paint Tutorial - BobaMaker Style if you are going for that authentic ANH look! :thumbsup

T-VIRUS wrote:
Very nice lid....btw NHM...what the hell is burn the witch day? Not familiar with that one.

To explain that would be seriously OT and I don't wanna take this thread down that route. I'll explain in the OT section: Burning of the Witch Day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:25 am 

Thanks guys,

NHM, I probably got it earlier than you because I live in United States. It is really cool, also is way too light if I compare it with some other lids(Hero sds and my old AP)
Thanks for the tutorial, I saw it before, it is pretty cool. I also talked to TE and since it is made off HDPE he suggest me '' to scuff the entire outside surface with a green pad (scoth brite), just the face and cap and back(not the ears). then clean off with water only and then dry. Once it is dry shoot a mist coat of Krylon Fusion paint (gloss white) and let it tack up. Once the paint tacks, spray it smooth and even all over the surface. Let dry all day!
For the details you cannot mask the helmet off, you have to paint it carefully. If you try to mask it off, the main white paint will come off and you have to strip it and start over''

SWC, thanks a lot for the kind words. Also thabks for fixing the images :rolleyes. I am agree with, you it looks more authentic peeled off, but just only a little bit. I asume that since it is made of the same material like the originals one it will peel sooner or later. :lol By the way , did you get your hovi mix for your SFS lid?, if so could you PM the info?
Thanks guys for the kind words.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:23 am 

Very nice helmet i feel bad saying this but you cant really go for the flaked look with it if you want it to look authentic though as the base material is a different colour to the original.
I think a pristine look is your only option and it should stay like it i'm assuming you wont be kicking it about or trooping in it.
Like i say though a superb helmet and i'm looking forward to seeing it finished

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:24 am 

looks great

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:46 am 
Site Admin

AJCG wrote:
By the way , did you get your hovi mix for your SFS lid?, if so could you PM the info?

No, I'm still waiting for my MT's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:23 am 
Random avatar
Nice helmet!

If it was mine I would mask off the eyes and the neck opening, take of the brow trim and just spray the whole thing white gloss. There is no way you can stop the paint cracking off as the stuff is just too flexible and I don't think the paint will just crack off on it's own. Remember these things were originally just thrown together and the paint jobs were terrible so just go for it :) Don't forget to add the star shaped foam liner and black elastic chin strap!

Can you tell me if the plastic has a haircell/leathergrain texture on the inside or is it smooth?

-Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:04 am 

Thanks guys for all your feedback and kind words :thumbsup . All your opinions are really helpfull. I think I made a final decission and will be the pristine look the one I want. Thanks Defstartrooper.
Hey Paul, I really want to add all those details you mentioned :wink: I think it would be great. BTW Paul, you are right, the plastic has a leathergrain texture on the inside , but a little bit noticeable outside too.
SWC , I just order today my hovi-mix tips, btw sorry to ask but what do you mean with MT's? :pale

Cheers

Armando

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:09 am 
Site Admin

AJCG wrote:
SWC , I just order today my hovi-mix tips, btw sorry to ask but what do you mean with MT's? :pale

Mic Tips! :lol :lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:14 am 

:banger I must go to bed...it is midnight here as you can tell...now I feel even worse for asking... :lol :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 am 
Site Admin

No problemo! Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:50 am 
Random avatar

Any update so far?