It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader's Leather Bodysuit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 pm 

Okay, I’ve decided it is about time I order the leather body suit for the ESB Vader I am making. From what I’ve read around here most people seem to recommend getting it from CustomProps, so I have been eyeing their 3 piece bodysuit.

Recently I noticed while watching ESB that there was no leather on Vader’s inseam.

I heard that CustomProps are very easy to work with. Do you think they would add this feature to the pants if I provide them some reference photos? Or is there another more accurate vendor that I should look into?

Any input would be appreciated. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting, most interesting. I learned 2 things from this... no leather on inseam... and then I learned what an inseam is. Nice

Still confused though. :eek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:51 pm 

What part do you happen to be confused about?

I always dread posting because I’m always afraid I won’t come across the right way or my post won’t make sense. :pale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:24 pm 

Corbadda wrote:

I always dread posting because I’m always afraid I won’t come across the right way or my post won’t make sense. :pale

Nope, you make 100% sense. Actually, I had spoken with Paul (darthvaderv) about this a while back since he is "THE" ESB guy to ask about this stuff IMO. There had been some discussions on more than one occasion that the back part of the leather pants were not leather at all but just material. I used that screen cap and a few others when I spoke with Paul about it and said, hey I guess it's not like it's been said this whole time. I'm sure there were different versions as well (cape is another example) since throughout ESB (more than any other of the OT movies) there was such a mixture of hero and stunt parts mixed together. Good spot Corb and you can't go wrong with either version, IMO.

Last edited by Lambotour on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Funny Pete :wink: , thanks BTW.

ESB is a matter of preference with much of it I always aim for all the parts that see the most screen time, regarding the "hero" scenes.

Also look for the obvious seams on the chest part of the suit, sometimes hidden by the robes.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Corbadda wrote:

I'm just generally confused by new words! :lol

Don't ever be afraid to post. If someone gives you a hard time... just kick them in the groin. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:51 pm 

Excellent spot. For my trooping Vader suit, I am going to have just the exposed section of the front leather and the sleeves as none of the rest is ever visible. I had my seamstress put the mesh panels in the back and butt. Which did help greatly with the heat. She suggested doing the whole top mesh with just the visible parts leather.

501st Legion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:25 pm 

The ANH suit was 3 piece leather
ESB i can't remember was a 2 piece with a strip of fabric running up the inside and outside seams of the legs, as shown by Corbadda.

I don't remember if ROTJ was a 2 piece as well or a 1 piece.

ROTS pants have leather only on the front just like ROTJ

If i am wrong correct me my mine focus was on the ANH vader.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:09 am 

Also, don't forget the leather panels on the front of the legs don't extend all the way down to the ankle, but end just below the knee..

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am 

most interesting!!!! thank you so much for the pics!!! :cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 am 

Well I have been studying the film over and over trying to see every detail of the suit. I realized the screen shot I posted is actually the outer seam of his pants and not his inseam. However there is a pic posted in the gallery section (http://thepropden.aokforums.com/esb-darth-vader-screen-caps-and-production-pictures-vt143.html) that shows that the inseam is cloth as well.

Gonk27, thanks for sharing that pic! That is very useful info to know! :)

As to the chest part of the suit it is hard to pick out details about it based on the film alone. The only real scenes that lets us see more of it is during the fight scenes on Bespin, which I assume to be the stunt suit. From what I could see it appeared that the chest piece didn’t have the same cloth seam as the pants and it appeared that the arms were separate, making it a three-piece suit. However I could be completely wrong about this.

Does anyone know for sure if the Hero suit was 2 or 3 pieces?

And NoHumorMan, thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to do that if anyone gives me trouble. :lol