It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader Lightsaber Pics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 pm 

Im looking for ref pics of Vaders lightsaber from ANH, they seem pretty scarce..

We know that there was at least 2 versions for filming, 1 with silver side bars and 1 with black side bars.

Im looking at making the second version seen in the cell block scenes with Leia.

Do both versions have 7 grips and apart from black side bars and the mid band flipped and low against the grips are they the same? and 1 last thing, is the thumd screw holding the bulb release actually gold in colour on a real mpp as seen in this visional dictionary pic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:16 am 
Site Admin

7 grips, and i believe the thumb screw is silver. I'll see if i can dig up some old reference pics . . .

My Collection

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:30 pm 

Cheers Vaapad, why is it the anh and esb vader sabers didnt seem to make it out on tour much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Out on tour? What do you mean?

My Collection

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:37 pm 

You know like the magic of the mith tours and such, you always get to see the rotj and barbican sabers which is usually a good source for pics but no mpp's, or do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:12 am 
Site Admin

No that's correct. The ANH sabers disappeared after shooting - as far as I know there was one hero (silver sidebars), and it vanished. The ESB saber that survived was the barbican - it was the stunt saber for the movie. I'm not sure what they say happened to the hero, but you're right that we don't see it.

My Collection

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:36 am 

If i remember correctly, Prowse got a movie saber, which was later stolen from his home during a robbery. I don't remember which one it was though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:47 am 

Thanks for the info guys, i was reading the v long thread in the archives on that other site trying to gain info and pics on this and as it was so old most of the them were no longer there.

The pics in the visional dictionary are they mostly taken pre production?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:13 pm 

The lightsabers in the VD (except for the Luke ROTJ) are the replicas made by ICONS back in the 90's. So I would not use them as any form of reference towards the screen used props.

The vader saber pic you posted is most definitely the ICONS Saber and was actually used as reference by the prop dept for pre pro of EP2 to make the Anakin saber for that film. The groove in the saber was mistakenly added as the shadow on that pic makes it appear that there was a groove.

To my knowledge the very small b&w pics in the Chronicles are some of the only published pics of the original prop pieces.