It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader helmet with high shipping price?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:40 pm 
Random avatar

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I have a question which I hope the American boardmembers here (and everyone else of course) could help me with.
There's this guy (ragacin) on Ebay who is selling a DP CA Vader helmet, but his shipping price is like 430$ (!!!) for international shipping. I asked him if this was a mistake, but he insured me it wasn't. He explained that American shipping prices went up recently and almost doubled...
Is that true? It would be the first thing I've heard about it, and other helmets from American sellers don't seem to charge such high shipping rates.. :conf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Prices went up... but unless he is shipping a 2 ton helmet (exaggerated example), I don't think that shipping price is correct - he is trying to scam the buyer into paying more for the helmet through the shipping costs, when they think they are getting it cheap.

Previously... items that size were $50+ and that was airmail shipping... can't have risen THAT much!!! Has to be below $100!

I would report him to eBay for charging an insane international shipping cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

USPS should be no more than $50 for something like that, but companies like FedEx or UPS charge some ridiculously high prices for international shipping. He might be using one of them, but still, $430 seems awfully high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

It's a rip off and he should be reported. I get mail sent from the US quite often and for helmets it's usually $57.50, some companies charge more but not $430. Ridiculous :rolleyes .

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:19 pm 

If its US Mail thats a huge ripoff.
If thats a FedEx, DHL or UPS that may be the quote he got. I have tried to get quotes on international shipping and the numbers are insane. $430 still seems way too high but with alot of insurance it could be that crazy.

i would never pay that much for the CA, much less to ship it..... :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm 

Total scam. You should not pay any more than $100 for a vader helmet being shipped. I just received a VM2 from Germany and paid only $90. I've received parts and such from Japan and also paid less than $100. Stay far away.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:23 pm 

Yep total rip off unless he has filled the helmet with lead :lol DPCA is only plastic doesn't weigh all that much so should be less than the one Karo just got

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:34 pm 

No way it costs that....if thats right...I'm opening a post office. :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:34 pm 
Random avatar

I asked him for more info, and this is what he replied:

Hi,
The box size I am using to ship it says it is too big for your country to
accept? it is 24 inches by 24 inches by 24 inches and weighs 9 pounds. The info I am getting is on the usps.com website. I totally aggree that it should not cost any more than $65-70 to ship, but I cannot tell what it would be because of the website saying what it does. If I were to take it to the Post Office they may tell me different. If you do the Buy it Now, I will ship it to you for free, no additional charges, how about that? The last Vader CA helmet sold on eBay for $700, which is why I set the BIN to that price. And mine is painted better than that one, cuz I did it :)
All this shipping crap international is really frustrating me and hurts my
ability to sell on eBay.

So, should I ask him to use another box to ship it with USPS? :rolleyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:36 pm 

I would find another seller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:41 pm 

Dude...I could mail you a 40gal water heater for less than $400....he's an a$$. Stay away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:50 pm 
Random avatar

:lol :lol :lol

Okay, I will :wink:

Thanks for the advice, guys! It's a shame though, I thought that that CA would be a nice upgrade for my lifesize Vader instead of the crappy Rubies Extreme edition I have now :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Kindly tell him you're not interested. A DP CA - even painted - is NOT worth $700. Only was for a few years because some people decided it was worth that much to buy it. The last one didn't sell at that price, so why should you buy it for that?

He is using the shipping to get the price he wants for it and not the price it was listed at. He's a scammer and I still say you should report him for that shipping cost BS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 am 

Lord Vicious wrote:
I asked him for more info, and this is what he replied:

Hi,
The box size I am using to ship it says it is too big for your country to
accept? it is 24 inches by 24 inches by 24 inches and weighs 9 pounds. The info I am getting is on the usps.com website. I totally aggree that it should not cost any more than $65-70 to ship, but I cannot tell what it would be because of the website saying what it does. If I were to take it to the Post Office they may tell me different. If you do the Buy it Now, I will ship it to you for free, no additional charges, how about that? The last Vader CA helmet sold on eBay for $700, which is why I set the BIN to that price. And mine is painted better than that one, cuz I did it :)
All this shipping crap international is really frustrating me and hurts my
ability to sell on eBay.

So, should I ask him to use another box to ship it with USPS? :rolleyes

Bullsh!t....and you can check USPS.com yourself and use the shipping calculator to see what shipping really costs. I would estimate a weight of maybe 6 lbs fully boxed and packed....soaking wet!