It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader found parts..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 am 

I have been thinking about the various different found parts used on the costume. I really only know about ANH, so perhaps someone can chime in with ESB/ROTJ differences. I thought it may be fun to see what we know, and present theories for the rest. Please add any that I missed and any ideas you may have as to what they may be. There are many great fan made versions of these parts, but having the actual found part used is always the best IMO.
Starting at the top:

DOME MOUNT-three "Apple" Tabs..I have seen ones that are VERY close, but 100% correct ones seem to be a mystery.

LENSES- If I remember correctly, they were said to be fashioned from a set of ski goggles?

TUSKS-I have heard theories referring to a knurled thumb nut/dome head screw combo, and a push pin of some sort..but these are REALLY easy to machine, so may be custom..

GRILL MESH-Not sure what the original is, but the stuff from Kurtyboy looks just about perfect..and I think he said that was from a old heating/cooling system.

CHEST BOX RODS-These are the ones that are really bugging me :lol Having hand machined a set, I have to think they are a found part. They are just to complex to be custom made in my opinion. I have heard possibly a part of a damper in a motorcycle fork, but being in the motorcycle industry ..I've never seen anything close. I was thinking perhaps a part of the reel to reel the belt box mesh comes from ????

COIN SLOTS- Again, seems odd to me that they would machine these specially for the box..so I would think found part.

RED AND GREEN LIGHT COVERS- Honeywell switch covers

BELT- WW2 fireman's belt????

BELT BOXES-Seems like a metal electric enclosure..probably discontinued and superseded to a part like the ESB style..

BELT BOX MESH-From a vintage reel to reel player

BELT BOX KNOBS-I have to think these are a found part, simply because I don't imagine them machining twelve of them. Maybe off a audio control mixing panel like used in the death star? What else has that many identical knobs?

BELT BOX GREEN LIGHTS- Sloan LED lights..

All these little trinkets are out there somewhere!! :toothy

Post subject: Re: Vader found parts..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 am 
Random avatar
I thought I read somewhere the Coin slots are from a British Vending Machine. Used on R2 as well.
Belt box mesh for ESB is an air line hose.

I would love to find the Gloves for ANH and ESB. I think there found parts as well. Cod is said to be a boxing groin protector although I might be wrong.
And did Prowse provide his boots? That would make that a found part as well.

Great thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Great thread Jay.

Many of the items on all varients of the OT Vader's are found parts or inspired/derived, some are discontinued that is why they are so hard to find. Like many items, they were altered or modified, not all, but some. If you leave the main mask, dome, chest armour, cape/robes, cod and the base of the chestbox etc, etc the majority of the other parts and pieces have a link or inspiration to found parts. The suit for example was inspired, so was the cod although it's inspiration was a boxing groin protector it was not made from one and consists mainly of a scratchbuilt piece.

That's another reason of what makes Vader so interesting is that there are a few parts out there that at first you didn't even know were found items. As for the rods, I have many off the original casts and varients from the trilogy, if people pay close attention to their construction is so wonky it's hard to determine whether they are a found item or not because the workmanship does not fit in with a found item. It's one of those few things I haven't looked for as I have them in front of me and I know that particular piece would cause stress just like people trying to find the tusks still. I do know that to find these items takes team work and trust, otherwise you can literally dedicate years and only find a few parts if you do it alone, However, there have been some nice individual findings over the years.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 pm 

Yes..I must say it is the chestbox rods that are causing me to look at the rest. Just from a machining standpoint I am fairly certian they are a found item. The main body of the rod could be machined somewhat easily on a lathe with the proper tooling, but to get the flat and hole in the bottom you would need to move the part to a milling machine..it just seems like to much effort for a custom machined part..so I am convinced they are found..but what is the big mystery!
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:55 pm 
Random avatar

Belt is indeed a German WWII firemans belt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:49 pm 
Random avatar

The chest box rod is a paper feed roller/ guide. I have been researching this piece. I am not sure whether it is from a typewriter, copy machine, keypunch machine, etc. Rubber "cylinders" went over the grooved sections. These contacted the paper. They were removed for the prop. The center "disks" were to guide the paper and keep it flat. The rod was fastened through the holes at each end to the drive. One end of the rod was cut off for the prop. It is a symmetrical piece. I had an HP printer in my office with similar, though updated, rollers. I think I might be able to get some photos that I can post.
The only question is on what paper feed mechanism they were found on.
Vince

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 am 

Thats some great info! Thanks for sharing..now..what typewriters were available in 1976/77? Do parts from such a item appear anywhere else in ANH? :hehe-err

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am 
Random avatar

I think more on the lines of a printer rather than a typewriter. Here is a clue to follow up on: think about the width of the paper. It would have only been the width of the rods, not a standard sheet. Consider envelopes, checks, IBM punch cards, things like that.
Vince

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:26 am 
Random avatar

Oh, they are also found on the vibro-axe as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting Information Vince, Lets hope a match is found :thumbsup

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:29 am 

ddocvjm wrote:
The chest box rod is a paper feed roller/ guide...

I made up this graphic (based on my work from my chest box diagrams) a few years ago at the request of people talking about what the chest box rods were, just to give a visual to the piece to watch out for.

And here's a version illustrating it with the rubber rollers Vince is talking about (if I understand him correctly!).

So be on the look out!

Later,

MJC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 am 

Thanks for the visual! This will be a tough one to find, since it is lurking on the INSIDE of some old printing thing...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:51 am 
Random avatar

That's the problem, it could be on the inside and not visible. I think it is more likely visible from the outside at the opening of a slot, like a printer paper feed.
The one in my office basically is of similar design and is made of plastic. It is part of the paper feed of an HP printer.
Thanks for that diagram Mike. Good to see you.
Vince

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 pm 
Random avatar

The rollers in question don't pick up the paper from the tray. They move the paper along or deliver it to the final tray. I am searching what is called an "exit delivery roller", "delivery roller", or "fuser delivery roller". It appears to be the upper roller. These rollers work together, an upper and a lower roller. The printer in my office is an HP laserjet 1020. The upper exit delivery roller on this printer is similar in basic design to what we are lookin for, although at least 35 years apart.
Vince

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:46 pm 

Nice to see you too Vince! I was just looking through my old PMs and I saw all the correspondence we did on the ANH/ESB Vader belt buckle. Man, we did a lot of work on those! ;) That was a lot of fun and I hope we can work on another project soon. How about an ROTJ buckle?

Anyway, back on track, here is a photo I just took of my HP LaserJet 1012 showing the modern day version of what Vince is talking about. I've outlined it to show the similar design to the chest box rods. Obviously it has four "disks" in the center instead of the three found on the original, plus it's made of plastic. It does have rubber rollers, as indicated by the arrows, just as Vince is suggesting.

So I think this might be the right avenue to look down. Let's get out there!

Later,

MJC.