It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader ANH glove details and photos
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 am 

I had inadvertently derailed a seller's thread on another forum with a detailed discussion of Vader ANH glove stitching and pattern details so I moved it to this thread. This is what I've outlined so far:

*Thirteen "ribs" on top side plus thin strip above knuckles and thin piping strip at bottom/cuff. No ribs on palm-side except for seam at top of palm continued from top side.

*Box (double) external stitching between fingers only.

*Index finger- no seam along thumb side.

*Single external stitching on outer side of pinky finger and continued on bottom side seam of cuff, but internal stitching on top side (index finger side) seam of cuff.

*Keystone thumb with single external stitching around thumb base.

*Single external stitching starts near tip of thumb and down towards fingers. No other seam along length of thumb.

*Cuff bottom on palm side is a plain cut edge- no seam or stitching.

Last edited by belloq on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Vader ANH glove details and photos
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:06 pm 

I agree- perhaps just a bit of "padding" like one thin piece of cotton fabric between the leather layers, or perhaps merely stitching the two leather layers together created the slight puckering of the ribs.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 am 
Random avatar

The Endorfinders gloves have definitive to much padding. The are nice for a Rouge One Vader but not for ANH.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

I agree. Endorfinders makes the best out there but have three issues: rib padding is too much, a seam on top of index finger where none should be, and most importantly- only twelve ribs. I wonder if by adding a rib, he might also need to add a bit of length in cuff to maintain proper rib width. In any case, I'm hoping Endorfinders proceeds with a true ANH version and just renames the old version "R1."

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 am 

Very cool thread. Were the ANH gloves something to be found in stores back then as it is, something modded to look like this, or completely made from scratch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:09 am 

I'm not an expert but I assume they were custom-made as were the leather suit and most other vader ANH costume parts.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:09 am 

Double post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Nice analysis. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:22 am 

belloq wrote:
I agree. Endorfinders makes the best out there but have three issues: rib padding is too much, a seam on top of index finger where none should be, and most importantly- only twelve ribs. I wonder if by adding a rib, he might also need to add a bit of length in cuff to maintain proper rib width. In any case, I'm hoping Endorfinders proceeds with a true ANH version and just renames the old version "R1."

About 5 or 6 years ago, I did a private run of accurate ANH gloves. Funny enough, the only real difference from Belloq's initial post, to the gloves I had done, was the seam across the palm side. I never added the seam back then because I could not locate definitive proof that the actual originals had the seam until about two years ago (Thanks Steve!), but I decided not to do another run back then. A little over a year ago I contacted John, who owns Endorfinders, to ask if he was interested in doing a run of accurate ANH gloves. He was interested so I sent him all the information I had on the gloves with the smallest details which, coincidentally, is identical to what Belloq wrote in his first post. The gloves he is selling now through his company is based on my design, however the current design was not suppose to be the final product. I was suppose to get with him to alter the design he is currently selling to make them accurate, but I had a lot going on personally and my love for it all was gone, so John decided to go with what he had. I was able to get two prototypes done with John. The most difficult thing to do when designing something like a glove is getting the fabricator to understand and follow your detailed information exactly. It's very stressful and can be expensive to get right. Working with John was a pleasure. He's a standup guy and was good to deal with. Hopefully he will go back over all the info I sent him and redo the gloves to make them the most accurate gloves available. ESB gloves were next, but like I said, the love was/is gone.

On a side note, I don't make one penny from the sales of the gloves. I never had any financial agreement with John. I simply wanted him to produce accurate gloves and was happy to provide him with the information.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 am 

Thanks for the backstory on Endorfinders. I'm glad he used most of your design guidance. He implied that he would try to do a true ANH version at some point. I really hope he does.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:48 am 

Lambotour wrote:
belloq wrote:

About 5 or 6 years ago, I did a private run of accurate ANH gloves. Funny enough, the only real difference from Belloq's initial post, to the gloves I had done, was the seam across the palm side. I never added the seam back then because I could not locate definitive proof that the actual originals had the seam until about two years ago (Thanks Steve!), but I decided not to do another run back then. A little over a year ago I contacted John, who owns Endorfinders, to ask if he was interested in doing a run of accurate ANH gloves. He was interested so I sent him all the information I had on the gloves with the smallest details which, coincidentally, is identical to what Belloq wrote in his first post. The gloves he is selling now through his company is based on my design, however the current design was not suppose to be the final product. I was suppose to get with him to alter the design he is currently selling to make them accurate, but I had a lot going on personally and my love for it all was gone, so John decided to go with what he had. I was able to get two prototypes done with John. The most difficult thing to do when designing something like a glove is getting the fabricator to understand and follow your detailed information exactly. It's very stressful and can be expensive to get right. Working with John was a pleasure. He's a standup guy and was good to deal with. Hopefully he will go back over all the info I sent him and redo the gloves to make them the most accurate gloves available. ESB gloves were next, but like I said, the love was/is gone.

On a side note, I don't make one penny from the sales of the gloves. I never had any financial agreement with John. I simply wanted him to produce accurate gloves and was happy to provide him with the information.

Cool! Thanks for sharing this!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:53 am 

Hi Pete. Yea, sure wish something happened with that second version. I can really use a set of accurate gloves. Just about the last item I need.