It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Vader ANH faceplate paint scheme (nose)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:39 pm 

This thread is started so as not to derail the ESB dome finish thread. SL believes that the paint (gunmetal) extends to the edge of the nose. I know that it doesn't. The gunmetal stops just short of the nose edge in line with nose to cheek details found on the original. The next two photos are taken from SL's example along with a change to diffuse some of the lighting. As I believe and as Vadermonkey stated, what SL is seeing is the reflection of the light. SL's example pic on the left.

Here are various shots of the original under different lighting sources with the nose area increased in size for reference. You can see that no matter the angle or lighting the clear distinction between the gunmetal and black is very obvious:

I have many high rez shots of vader in ANH. The photos Mac posted in the other thread of Vader in the interrogation room with Leia are mine.
The shots I have are of a higher resolution that those posted on DKs' site. Here is an example and a closeup of the nose area. Even from this angle it is extremely clear.

We can go back and forth all day and I could post all the high rez shots of Vader from ANH that I have, but I won't. If pictures don't prove anything then I've just wasted my time and yours. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:09 am 

Good analysis! :wink:

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:20 am 

I agree that the gunmetal stops short of the nose and that what we are seeing is just light reflecting off the black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 am 
Random avatar
definately stops short of the nose :as2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:40 am 

clear as day.. :wink: it definitely stops short..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:55 am 
Random avatar
In the words of Frank Costanza, "stops short!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:50 am 

..I came in from the garage where I am painting my ANH face plate to find this thread..DOH! I painted all the way to the nose! I ran out there and with a little paint thinner I am back in business...thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

We need to see the whole helmet... can't tease us with a shot like that... that's cruel! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I agree DK...Stops short. The appearence of it being longer in some scenes is an illusion caused by lighting on that particular area.

Just slightly OT, A raw unpainted mask cast in black resin/Fibreglass etc.. can sometimes show what looks to be a gunmetal painted cheek if the light hits it properly. Of course no gunmetal is present and just a reflection of light and angle.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Karo wrote:

This picture just baffles me. How anyone can use that to prove a point about an area being grey is just beyond me. The whole frickin' side of the mouth - an area we all KNOW is black - is grey because of the lighting. Hello! :eek

It simply just doesn't make sense... come on... it's the Captain Obvious of Bad Examples right there...

I'm sorry, I'm grumpy... didn't get any sleep and had to go to the post office in the rain carrying a frickin' heavy box - there and back again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm 

I think I know why one would think it's gray.

The metallic gray paint is not only reflecting light back into the camera, but there are times where you'll notice it's reflecting light onto the side surface of the nose. This is not always the case; sometimes the side of the nose is picking up light from off-to-the-side lighting.

Sometimes it's both.

What one needs to do in this case is to take into account that the helmet is 3D, and to wait for Vader to turn his head slightly away from a suspected light source to see if the shine goes away.

In the above scene Tantive IV, Vader is talking to one of his officers. When his head is angled more into the camera (left) you can clearly see that the side of the nose is black. There is no disputing that. But once he turns more towards the officer, the gloss of the paint picks up lighting.

If you also look very carefully, even if this were paint, it does not explain why paint that is typically solid in its highlight areas would fade out. The reflection in this shot is slightly dimmer and suggests more a reflection of light from the adjoining cheek surface's metallic gray which itself is picking up some overhead light. You can tell Vader was walking under light that is particularly brighter to this side of the face as you can observe how bright the light is on the tubes and side of the mouth on the right screen capture versus the more muted look in the left screen capture.

Both screen captures, again, are from the same scene, just mere seconds apart from each other.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm 

I am not sold that the silver goes out to the nose. Thomas you have to have something more conclusive than those two shots to base this on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 pm 

Well this was my reply in the other thread and it's based on more than two caps....I'll look again at the Kermit photos as well....you guys might be right...but that chronicles photo isn't the screen helmet...but it just looks like there's a boundary point between the black of the top of the nose and the side...I don't mind being wrong about this, I just have this impression from the HD screencaps...

Same scene...see how the lighting/angle changes the apparent darkness of that area...it's silver.

See where the black paint line is in relation to that side of the nose...if you increase the intensity of the image...

From the choking scene again...

This is after he walked down the Tantive IV corrider...same scene! You showed him in the corrider above.

A slightly different view...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm 

Thomas,

Hopefully these will help. These are from scans of photographs rather than screen caps.

It looks fairly consistent.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 pm 

Sithlord, there is no silver touching the nose. There is a gap where between silver and nose. No doubts about this one.

Dave