It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: StarFortress ESB\ROJ vader project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:58 am 

Got this Star Fortress Vader helmet not long ago on Ebay for about 50 pounds which was a fairly decent deal . Its actually not a bad helmet for the price here's some progress pics :)

The second pic is actually a more early stage but since then ive stripped the dome and now its primed (see first pic)and ready for matt black!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: StarFortress ESB\ROJ vader project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, their quality and customer service is usually bad, but the real kicker and why most people stay away from dealing with Star Fortress is because the owner is a pedophile that fled the law in the US.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 am 

This guy cant be serious!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259

I sent him a pm on ebay telling him hes a con artist. This is like me buying a pair of trainers for 30 dollars and selling them for 200!! This shit angers me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Admin

When approaching people you don't know it is never a good idea to start out in an aggressive tone. Always assume the stance that it may be an honest mistake and the guy doesn't know any better and you'll appear as the helpful stranger wanting to correct a mistake.

If I were to send him a message, then I would start out saying: "hey asshole, you do know that's a $120 plastic Rubies Supreme helmet - a toy - right?"

Okay... that was a joke. I'd probably not call him asshole... as that'd sorta negate my whole reason of staying civil when addressing others. They may be in the wrong, but the way you conduct yourself says something about you and an aggressive tone will likely not get the other person to see your way, but rather flip the finger at you and keep going in spite, whereas a friendly approach and helpful correction may get them to realize they had it wrong and change it accordingly. Heck, it might make him more interested in the hobby if he sees it's filled with friendly people, if he isn't in it already.

Or... he could be an asshole just milking ignorants. In which case... shame on him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:40 pm 

I didn't say up straight you're a con artist but i pretty much implied it in a nicer way it's not like he doesn't know what hes selling. I agree what you say but some person might come along thinking they are getting a fair deal when they would be getting ripped off. Wouldn't like that to be myself!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Cool. Well... yeah. The thing is... sure we want to help prevent people from being scammed... but there is also the other aspect - we are not the prop police, nor can we help or protect everyone. Education is key... and if you don't educate yourself... you risk getting screwed. And sometimes... if you don't educate yourself... you SHOULD be screwed, so you'll learn to educate yourself better before next time.

At least that's my philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 am 

Darthminion wrote:
This guy cant be serious!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259

I sent him a pm on ebay telling him hes a con artist. This is like me buying a pair of trainers for 30 dollars and selling them for 200!! This shit angers me!

The problem also is that Rubie's does market this as being from the original molds - that language is right on the cardboard box. What you may be dealing with here is someone who sincerely believes the marketing.

Now the marketing is actually partly true. It came from an original mold originally made available to Don Post Studios. After they made their limited edition run, Lucasfilm took possession of those molds. They are not the molds of the screenused original by any means, but from Rubie's perspective, they are Lucasfilm-owned molds.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm 

A few shots of progress i will get some better ones when i get it looking better. I want to do the dome again to get it nice and shiny. and the nose needs some work as well as clear coating the mask.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

illbethere1 wrote:
Even though it's convenient, it's not good to take shots thru a mirror.... Just exacerbates a already badly warped Supreme.

It's a DP CA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm 

Sorry they didn't please you but they were just for quickness. Perhaps if you read my post i did say i was going to post more lol. Yeah TMGarlic its a DP CA. Just so you know this I'm not aiming to make this a high-end pristine Vader helmet or anything , its just a cheapo i picked up on Ebay because it didn't cost much so sorry if it looks 'warped' and pretty crappy but i will see if i can get it looking more to your standards illbethere1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:45 pm 

Before people start rushing to give StarFortress money, here is something they should consider. Image archival courtesy of Defstartrooper:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/ ... rtress.jpg

There are also issues of StarFortress recasting and making money off of other people's work without their permission, according to posts on RPF.

Here is some clarification as to the nature of this helmet. It originally came from the Don Post Classic action, and the giveaway feature is generally the "T" shaped dome mounting system on the skull of the mask.

Left: DPCA. Right: Rubie's.

- Mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:55 pm 

the other thing about his auctions, he makes them look soooooo good. i find it ironic that he sells finished vader helmets for $400. :lol recasted don posts none the less. so sad.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:29 pm 

Hey guys does anyone know a good guide on going about modding the rubies supreme vader helmet? Ive gathered quite a bit of info on what needs to be done. The dome mounting system needs replaced (further back and down) , teeth need to be squared , neck flare needs reshaping and trimmed , customize the lenses and the work on the nose etc . I know how i would go about doing these to an extent but a guide for newbies is always good to pick up some pointers and the more info the better.

I think this looks amazing for a rubies supreme!! Wish i could get it as good as this but i guess you need to the right equipment and set up to get it looking pristine. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/ ... C00555.jpg

Last edited by Darthminion on Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 pm 

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:

????

Profile E-mail