It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Star Wars Battlefront - 3D Models
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

When browsing online I came across some model images of the work models for the Battlefront games. Many of these were generated from the various scans of original props the studio did for the game. Seeing the 3D models without texture before they were reduced in resolution for the game got me really excited. An artist called Björn Arvidsson worked on these:

(Click on the images to access the full size image)
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr
Image, on Flickr

Below is an example of an in-game model in comparison so you can see just how much the actual models were reduced for the game. It's amazing that this low quality model looks as good and as sharply detailed in-game as the above models, but that is all due to the textures that create that effect. You can basically say that details and sharpness are "painted on" and not a part of the actual physical in-game model.
Image, on Flickr

The thing with textures is they basically lie about the actual 3D model, which is one of the reasons why I hate when people showing off the capabilities of 3D scanners don't show the untextured model, which always makes me think something fishy is going on and the scanner really isn't as good as they claim. Remember: textures lie!

If anyone have any more pictures of the 3D work models please post them here... and it's no secret that I would absolutely LOVE to have many of those 3D models. :)

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Battlefront - 3D Models
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

I have 3D printed the Battlefront trooper in 1:6 scale and will work on it to see if I can reverse engineer it to how the high poly models looked. This will probably take a long time, but I'll keep people posted on the progress. I can post a few pictures soon as I've nearly printed out all armor parts.

If anyone has access to the original scan models, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:18 pm 

Pretty interesting! Will follow to see the progress

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

This the print project from several days ago. I have since then printed the belt, hand guards, left upper arm piece, a new left knee plate, and a new ab plate. I may be forgetting some parts. Will print the boots in a few days and will post another picture of the current printed parts soon.

Incidentally, I used the shoulder strap from a Battlefront 2 TIE pilot model as the old Battlefront 1 Stormtrooper low poly model wasn't as detailed as the BF2 models. Though, I am unaware whether the Stormtooper models were upgraded for BF2, but if they made changes it seems they went more idealized and symmetrical in BF2 where the BF1 were more the actual asymmetrical look for most of the parts.

The Monster can is for size reference.

Enjoy.
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 am 
Site Admin

New picture of all the printed parts.
Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Even working on and printing a Chewbacca model now. It will be a mismatch of the BF1 and BF2 models, as the BF1 body is best and the BF2 head is best. I'm not skilled enough to do the fixes needed to trim and put the two models together for printing, so I just print one of each. :)

Printed out a BF2 torso and head and thought it was too small. Then after re-sizing I printed out another one, but still the head seemed too small. Body seemed okay now. So, I separated the head, resized that against the Shaw head and the old Chewie head, put it back on the body and closed the gaps and will print the new one tomorrow. Head to torso proportions seem much better now.
Image, on Flickr

Here's a closeup of the BF2 head. I made this picture before I resized the head. Looks pretty good compared to the BF1 that looked like he'd run into a brick wall. :)
Image, on Flickr

A picture of the BF1 body and head:
Image, on Flickr

A picture of the BF2 body and head:
Image, on Flickr

For some reason they really buffed him up in BF2. One question though... which model's feet is the more accurate?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

Great post !

To edit, fix and clean a model, I'm using Geomagic Studio 12. It might help you ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've been using MeshMixer. I'm just more of a hands on kinda guy... working with mouse and keyboard still just feel too artificial to me.

After having printed out the head, torso, legs and feet and gluing them together I realized that in my search to get the head scaled correctly I had made the body too large. I'm sure there are taller Wookies than Chewie, but Chewie shouldn't be taller than he should be, if that makes sense. So, going back to the originally scaled body and finding it to be better scaled, I just took the new head and am working on getting things to line up. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Unsure whether it's actually possible to tell the difference since I didn't take the older pictures the same way as the new, but I did an awful lot of work to fix the models.

BF1 body and BF2 head:
Image, on Flickr

BF2 body and BF2 head:
Image, on Flickr

I'm beginning to think that the BF1 body and BF2 head and perhaps BF2 feet is the best combination. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Latest rework. Started from scratch only using the previously worked on head and arms, then split the new model up into body parts, angled them to further replicate Peter Mayhew's body proportions and posture. Am pretty pleased. Got a lot of help and suggestions. Will work on the feet and further work on the arms later. Just wanted to show this current progress off.

Image, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Been working some more on the Chewie models. I've actually done a whole lot since the last picture I posted here. I posted more on my facebook wall. Basically I repositioned the arms, wasn't too happy with it, so redid them again. In the picture below you'll see how I had placed the arms in a slightly spread pose, whereas I wanted a more neutral pose. Long time was spent of fixing that... and then I saw the old picture posted above and cursed to myself that I'm basically back to the arm pose I had already done initially, but hey... that's sometimes how things turn out. But I may go back and fix up those old arms in the above picture and use them instead as I kinda like the look of those more, but until then, here's the latest update.

Here are the pre and post arm position modification models. Left is the wider spread look and the right in the picture is the new pose.
Image, on Flickr
And here it is all stitched back together into a single solid model:
Image, on Flickr

And just for fun I started work on a female version, back when I had the wider spread look on Chewie, which transferred over onto the female, but I'll likely fix that later down the line.
Image, on Flickr

I was working for a while to fix the teeth models, but I wasn't very satisfied with the work, so will get new models made using all the reference I can find of original Chewie teeth - so if anyone has some good close up pictures of original teeth, I'd love to see them. I poured over the Tested Tom Spina Adam Savage Chewie youtube video as it has great info and very nice shots of all the parts that make up Chewie's head.
Image, on Flickr

I'm also going to work on the Bowcaster from Battlefront. What I've done up until now is just getting it scaled correctly from measurements of original parts.
Image, on Flickr

I'm also working on the badolier and will use the Vader belt boxes scaled down for the Chewie boxes. It seems the large box is about the same design as the ANH belt box, whereas the small box is about the same design as the ESB belt box, only smaller, it seemed obvious to use already made models to fix the game-models flaws. Didn't bother posting a picture of this, as I didn't get very far.