It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: SPFX V2 ANH Vader Helmet Recast: Review....Update Oct. 13/10
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 am 

Since I am reviewing the DS 20th C in another thread, I thought I would provide a review and analysis of another familiar casting to shed some light on what it is and where it came from, namely the SPFX ANH V2. Unlike other threads were I hide details this thread will blossom with details, hehe. But as we'll see, not is all as it appears at first glance. I covered the evolution of the SPFX ANH V1 in another thread, and seeing that we have a new incarnation of the infamous SPFX line, why not study it? :lol

Exhibit A:

I'll let people comment on anything they notice about the mask and let us have some guesses as to what the source is. I've already pretty much concluded what the source is so I'll get to that after I present the features of this helmet, but if anyone wants to throw out their guesses we can discuss it.

Here is the same SPFX ANH V2 mask next to the DS 20th C. Although on the surface they might appear similar, they are as different as any two masks I've examined before, as the SPFX ANH V2 has many added features and details.

I will also go through in detail the changes made to this mask, which include alterations to the nosebridge, noseslots, tusk tubes, teeth, eyebrows, cheeks, chin vent and....well that doesn't leave much else. :ac10 I'll go through the altered details and much more later.

Last edited by SithLord on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SPFX V2 ANH Vader Helmet: Review and analysis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:58 pm 

Why drag it out, what do you expect it originated from?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

Well if you don't know, then that's what this thread is about. :wink: Some people like to review original props, I like to review replicas. But for starters it isn't derived from a 20th Century mask.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:16 pm 

As that was the V1 that is not a shocker. The VP maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:05 pm 

You are guessing hehe. For a time I thought it might be but it wasn't until I got one in hand that I found it was not. Otherwise we'd still be scratching our heads wondering if SPFX got a hold of a VP, and he didn't.

Starting with the nosebridge,

The nosebridge is wider than it should be and it didn't take long to notice that he added material and reworked the bridge to look wider, probably because the starting template had a narrower bridge than ANH. The sides of the bridge give it away because of their irregular curvature, especially on the right (Vader's right) side. The noseslots are misalighed (middle and bottom), there's a curvature deviation on the middle slot, and even though Phil had access to the nice photos posted of the TM ESB mask for reference, he wasn't able to get the small side notch on the lower noseslot centered (lower arrow), whereas the notch on the top slot is too shallow. Also, and something belying the source of this mask, is the fact there is no paint drop at the transition of the lower edge of the bridge and the nose proper (lower bracket)...something even the 20th C still retains. But I'm sure he'll add that next. :wink:

Next up side views...

Here we see the slight curvature differences inside the slots especially the middle one. The slot notches are again apparent but again the lower one is off center and the top one barely discernable, if there at all (it should be quite noticable). The nosebridge notch on the right side of the bridge here is seen as a very large impression of what it should be but this is far larger than even the previous V1 fabrication. You'll notice here as well how much the bridge itself tapers toward the rear. It is much wider in the front because of the added material then tapers to its original thickness in the rear, unlike more authentic castings which have far less taper.

And other side views of the bridge...

In these you can see the boundaries of the added and thicker section to the bridge on the sides of the bridge. Also shown better here are the irregularities in the front edges of the bridge, showing how difficult it is to actually sculpt a uniform curvature to something. I must say that after seeing this attempt at reworking the nosebridge I appreciate even more what Brian Muir put into the original.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:57 pm 

SithLord wrote:
....and even though Phil had access to the nice photos posted of the TM ESB mask for reference....

Don't forget he also has access to those high rez shots that GH posted of his TD with the DJ style dome on that private forum you guys belonged to. He posted those shots on one of his private forums for all to see. So he has plenty of reference and don't forget, of course, that these types of threads also help him to correct his mistakes so that he can then come out with, yet again, another "original" vader helmet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:55 am 

Well actually I didn't belong to whatever that forum was and regardless, I don't have whatever shots they were in high resolution, so how could Phil? So when you say "you guys" maybe you should find out exactly who was on that forum. And FYI I've only seen one photo like that and it wasn't on the forum you refer but another one that you might be familiar with...one that showed a comparison that Phil made. But I'm happy to start a new thread if you want to discuss all of that.

Secondly, I've found detail on this mask that appears to mimic the TM...such as the detail below next to the bracket. Many of the little imperfections seen here are faked...particularly on and around the end of the tusk tube.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:58 am 

Here are a few things that I found both indicative and strange. Although the eyebrows of an authentic earlier mask are a bit asymmetric when viewed straight on, from above they are fairly close in terms of how far back from the nosebridge they are. On this mask there is a noticeable difference in the spacing of the left and right eyebrow back from the nosebridge.

The odd things about this view were that the outer edges of the cheeks are directed more outward than other masks I've seen. And the front edge of the right cheek has very strange irregularities in its curvature, plus a strange ledge on the upper surface near the nose. Then the nail mark on that right cheek looks almost like it is buried in something that was built up around it compared to the left. I had never seen that before. If you feel the sides of the cheeks, there is a slight concavity in that area near the front, whereas on any authentic mask, there is a convex shape.

So I compared it to the DS 20th C....

One can see how the outer cheek edges are angled more away from the face than they should be on the SPFX V2. Given that the mouth widths are similar, yet the SPFX V2 has wider cheeks, suggests something is not right about the cheeks. It almost looks like one or both of the cheeks on this mask were expanded in width. Otherwise it is hard to account for the strange shapes and irregular curvatures, especially considering that the cheeks and mouth triangle should be proportional for a mask this size, like the DS 20th C. You can see again also the widened nosebridge, and the asymmetry in the eyebrows although as I'll show later, that asymmetry is actually a byproduct of the eyebrows being reworked as well. They were reworked to look good from the front, but no consideration was given to symmetry from above (gotcha! :lol ). You'll also notice that the right tube of the SPFX is wider. Both tubes were reworked....made to be wider than originally, which implies that the starting point had narrower tubes than would be appropriate for ANH.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 am 
Random avatar

Darth Karo wrote:
SithLord wrote:
....and even though Phil had access to the nice photos posted of the TM ESB mask for reference....

Don't forget he also has access to those high rez shots that GH posted of his TD with the DJ style dome on that private forum you guys belonged to. He posted those shots on one of his private forums for all to see. So he has plenty of reference and don't forget, of course, that these types of threads also help him to correct his mistakes so that he can then come out with, yet again, another "original" vader helmet.

As i know as a former member of one of his forums he has access to most of the "important" shots of different forums. He still has friends in nearly every forum he is getting these pics from so its not a surprise for me that he is able to rework his helmets to look more authentic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:23 am 

Of course I understand that. I didn't mean to single out the TM if there was any impression of that...but I've been very careful about the TD and SL, and there's also the VP that has been shown in some detail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:42 am 

Darth Niob wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:
SithLord wrote:

As i know as a former member of one of his forums he has access to most of the "important" shots of different forums. He still has friends in nearly every forum he is getting these pics from so its not a surprise for me that he is able to rework his helmets to look more authentic.

That's exactly my point to Thomas. Phil has his moles planted all over the community. I didn't take it as an attack on the TM, I was just letting you know that pics of the TD are all over the place. Wherever it is they came from, they are out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:44 am 
Random avatar

SithLord wrote:
Of course I understand that. I didn't mean to single out the TM if there was any impression of that...but I've been very careful about the TD and SL, and there's also the VP that has been shown in some detail.

Certainly not only of the TM :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:52 am 

SithLord wrote:
Well actually I didn't belong to whatever that forum was and regardless, I don't have whatever shots they were in high resolution, so how could Phil? So when you say "you guys" maybe you should find out exactly who was on that forum. And FYI I've only seen one photo like that and it wasn't on the forum you refer but another one that you might be familiar with...one that showed a comparison that Phil made. But I'm happy to start a new thread if you want to discuss all of that.

Secondly, I've found detail on this mask that appears to mimic the TM...such as the detail below next to the bracket. Many of the little imperfections seen here are faked...particularly on and around the end of the tusk tube.

Actually, maybe you should find out who was on that forum and you may be able to find out who the leak was. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I wasn't a member of that forum.

Yes, I also saw the b&w photo comps and I've seen some pretty good color ones as well. I'm sure Phil still has them in his possession. Ahhh, the beauty of the Vader community. I've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. To say you have to be cautious is an understatement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:00 am 

Well I'm not interested in speculating who did what, and of course I wouldn't suspect you or anyone here....let Phil have his fun....I think his antics are pretty well known by now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 am 

Here's a better view of the mouth triangle and teeth. Note that he's improved the positioning of the notches on the teeth (given the template he used for this mask had remnants of them), but they are either too sharp or too deep, especially the ones indicated by the arrows. Also the dotted line indicates a feature that is unique I think to a particular mask although I hope someone might try to find it on what they might think is the template. I'm surprised that indentation wasn't filled in.

You'll notice on the right cheek the paint blemish pattern he made as an impression...and in this particular case he used the TM pattern of the paint blemish...well it is very well demarcated on the TM so that's not really surprising.

There's also the obligatory little notch he added on that side of the mouth triangle (indicated by the red half circle).