It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Some Head. Painting Progress.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

PICTURES! :D

First day of paint. A mix of flesh, white, red & gold.
Image Image Image
Last one's without flash. Same color on all except for Keanu Reeves and Christopher Lee, who got a lighter mix.

For further progress, day two - added mahogany brown to the mix... and mixed a little more red and white into the mix.
Image Image

Went a little too brown for those in the back row... need to add more flesh and possibly red to the mix. Arnold is coming along nicely. Need to do a new mix for Keanu and Chris Lee with a little added green for that sickly pale skin.

Any feedback on the colors would be appreciated. Honestly, I don't know which is the best way to photograph these, so that the real color shows, making any suggestions easier. Using Vallejo paints.

Post subject: Re: Some Head. Painting Progress.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

More painted. Mixed the skin color with white and green. Hope it looks okay. Also painted Arnold's hair brown.

Used the same greenish colored flesh for Frankenstein's Monster. Had painted him previously with a darker green, which is showing through this new layer and imo it looks good.
Image Image

(if the pictures are too big, let me know and I can switch them to thumbnails.) :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 am 

Very cool stuff, man. Can't wait to see more. What brand paints do you like to use?

Love the thread title, BTW. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Well... since I can't buy Model Master / Testors paints here where I live anymore I had to switch to Vallejo paints.

Yeah... just hope it's not too raunchy... :whip2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm 

Nah it's appropriately suggestive. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry... been busy doing mostly nothing... but started work on the Tsukuda Batman Returns kit. I didn't like the face sculpt that was on the kit and having a alternate Kaiyodo Batman head, I decided to cut out the existing mouth area and insert the head. Need to blend in the gaps, but otherwise think I did a pretty decent job.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread as I update so rarely and would rather have all my stuff in one place until finished, at which point I may show it off in a separate thread.

Well, anyway. Had the alternative head painted along with the others, so it got a bit scraped, but no worries... I'm still painting all the Wayne/Batman heads... so they'll all have the same fleshtone. :thumb2:

Please disregard that the cowl piece doesn't sit properly on the body... :D

Have also worked on Chris Lee Dracula, Keanu Reeves, Frankenstein, Frodo and Gollum, but don't have a picture of those for you today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Well, mixed up a color I thought looked good and decided to smear it out all over these kits, just to see how it looked. Interesting that the same color can look so different on different kits, also depending on what colors the kit had been painted with prior to this layer. I'm slowly finding a the right colors - must admit it's a bit amateurish and expensive way to get things right, but hey... a little experimentation leads to easier, quicker and better paint jobs in the future, right!? :D

Well, applied the color to Frankenstein's monster, Frodo & Gullom + Constantine (didn't like the other colors, but they certainly helped maintain that ill look he should have, so it wasn't a total waste. Experimented with applying the color lightly, to cover, yet also to let the underlying colors shine through - worked pretty decent in most areas, so I'm pleased with that.

Don't mind the golden streaks on Franky's hair... it'll be covered in washes, but will give the hair some life and a sheen, when done. Hopefully! :thumbsup

Enjoy:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 am 

Darn nice work. NHM if you'd like I'd be happy to pick you up a bucketload of testors paints and ship them your way...we've got the stuff all over the place here for fairly cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Thanks.

Nah, that's okay. I have a source in DK... just not right where I live. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:41 pm 
Random avatar

Looks like a very cool collection of movie history. Is that a Mad Max i've seen? Very cool :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

The kit looks like crap, but I liked the head, so I bought the whole thing... and some weeks later he started selling just the head. :grumpy :lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 am 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Thanks.

Nah, that's okay. I have a source in DK... just not right where I live. Thanks anyway.

cool :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's not exactly a head, but a mask, but it is a paint in progress, so I thought, since I update so rarely on things, that I just as well oughta post all my crap in one place.

Here's some progress on the Loki Mask I bought recently. The colors are a bit contrasty, but that's how it's supposed to be. I'll go over it with a wash of the darker green soon to blend the two a bit more and make it look more natural. May add some more colors to the palette, not sure yet.

Enjoy:

Also painted the second color of the iris on the two Batman kits and the Bruce Wayne kit, and the first iris color for Schwarzenegger and Eastwood (all same color - forgot to check if Clint has green eyes, before I painted, but will do that before next session). Would like to have done more progress on these before showing them off, but damn... even an iris makes it look more alive. :cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 am 

Great stuff Carsten! How many of these things are you working on?

I do have to say that the Keanu Reeves looks a little more like Ricky Nelson though. :blah :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:49 pm 

Never before has such a cast been assembled together.... . :wink:

Pretty awesome work....thanks for sharing....