It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Sith Statue – Darth Revan (Work in Progress)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:08 am 

Since I’ve been a member here on this forum I have seen incredible displays of talent over and over again. Being surrounded by so many individuals, each with their own unique talents finally inspired me to try my hand at creating something of my own.

About the only things I liked from the dreaded “prequels” were Coruscant, Palpatine, and the Sith statues and artifacts he had in his office. These mysterious works of art, hinting at the true nature of Palpatine and yet hidden in plain sight, are fascinating to me. They are done in an almost Art Deco style and are tarnished with age, hinting at some long and dark history.

Though I’m definitely not a fan of the EU I have to admit that outside of the original trilogy my favorite character has to be Darth Revan, from the game “Knights of the Old Republic”. Because the game is set 4,000 years before the events of the original three films the creators had plenty of leeway in which to tell a story. This allowed them to create an interesting and satisfying storyline along with strong character with unique personalities.

I always that it would be a cool project to make a statue of Darth Revan but done in the same style as the statues seen in Palpatine’s office. Though I have no previous experience sculpting I thought I’d finally take a stab at it!

Post subject: Re: Sith Statue – Darth Revan (Work in Progress)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 am 

The statues that you see in Palaptine’s office were probably around six feet in height. A smaller version of one of the statues was made for the production of Episode III for the top of Mas Amedda’s staff. From what I can ascertain this smaller version was about twelve inches in height so that was the height I decided to make mine.

I took images of the game model from all sides and scaled them down to six inches making them all 1:2 scale. I also did this to some images of the statues in Palpatine’s office so I could take various measurements so I could more accurately recreate the look.

I decided I would make it using Apoxie Sculpt for two reasons. One, I already had some previous experience using this product and secondly because I wanted to be able to build the statue up in layers so I could focus on one section at a time. When it cured I wouldn’t have to worry about ruining that work when I started on another section.

I built a very basic armature using spare cardboard and elmers glue. Then I covered it with some wire mesh and secured it with hot glue. Once I had done that I started working on the chest section and ended up with this.

Last edited by Corbadda on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:19 am 

However I started becoming unhappy with the bottom half of the armature and decided I wanted to create another one to help me achieve the look of the film statues. I took some measurements from my scaled pictures and went back to the cardboard, Elmer’s glue, wire mesh, and hot glue. I was much happier with the results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:28 am 

I liked how my sculpt of the chest came out so I cut it from the rest of the first armature with a mini hacksaw. You can see how the interior is just cardboard and wire mesh.

I’ve done a little more work on this since so I will update this thread soon! I hope that everyone approves! :salut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Interesting project. Don't know the character, but looking forward to seeing your take on the art deco style statue of him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:19 am 

Here is one of the reference pictures of Revan I’m using so people that might not be too familiar with the character can get some idea of what he looks like.

I now had to attach the chest section to the new armature and make sure I did it securely. First I cut a long piece of metal from an old coat hanger to use as structural reinforcement down the length of the entire statue. Then I cut two wooden dowels to attach the chest section and new armature together. I then lined up the two pieces and with the wonder of Elmer’s Glue I was able to securely bond the two sections together. I added a layer of apoxie sculpt where everything came together to further insure a strong connection.

I decided to sculpt the feet next. I was going to make them separately from the main body and put them in place later so I made a small armature and sculpted his boots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:56 pm 

When the feet were completed and cured I glued them in place onto the main statue. I then built up the space around the feet so I could achieve the same look as the Sistros statue in Palpatine’s office.

When that was completed it was time to start working on his lower body. I first covered the wire mesh with a layer of apoxie sculpt so I would have a stronger area to work on. Then I sculpted the small rings around his waist. I first attempted to use metal rings there were the correct size and covering them with apoxie sculpt but that proved too difficult. Finally I ended up making a small square of sculpt and then punched out the ring shape with the use of a metal tube and a twist-on wire connector.

I then continued on shaping the front of the lower body. When I was finally satisfied with the basic shape I then started adding the details such as the hoop and strip of cloth. I made the hoop basically the same way as the smaller ones just using bigger punches (like the mouth of a water bottle).

So this is what I basically have so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 am 

Very cool idea...this is real art...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:44 am 

Thank you SithLord! That is a real compliment!

I stepped away from this project for a while but I have finally come back to it and made some more progress. I finished sculpting the remainder of the sash and belt details around the waist. Next I have to decide on the final pose and then begin work on the arms.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:57 am 
Site Admin

Great idea! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 am 

Lovely work there! I don't quite understand the size. Is this going to be 6 inches tall? The photos seem to show something much larger.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 am 

Thank you both!

This is going to be 12 inches tall when it is finished. I scaled all my reference pictures down to 6 inches so they would be 1/2 scale (I accidentally put 2:1 scale in my second post which I have since corrected). When I take a measurement I know to multiply it by 2 for the actual statue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Very smooth and clean looking work. Looking forward to seeing it finished.